Legal question, sort of

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive just never heard of an ABS block failing like that, it's always the computer. There's gotta be some floating around out there - off a wrecked terminator, Mach, bullit, 99/01 cobra. They all had the same brakes, it's gotta be the same block.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IMO the stock traction control on these cars suck anyway. Pulling all power because one wheel spun a little while getting in front of traffic is a good way to get in an accident.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
IMO the stock traction control on these cars suck anyway. Pulling all power because one wheel spun a little while getting in front of traffic is a good way to get in an accident.
very true, before i had it turned off in the tune, i remember a few pucker-up moments if i forgot to push that button

While on the subject, doesn't the ABS delete block also disable cruise control?

i have never heard this

coposrv

Established Member
Mass is pretty tough on inspections and I’ve passed with the abs light on. No other issues though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Install the delete and leave the original plugged in to avoid a dash light?

Blown 89

Established Member
If traction control is saving you from accidents while pulling out into traffic perhaps traction control isn't the problem

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If traction control is saving you from accidents while pulling out into traffic perhaps traction control isn't the problem
Totally opposite of what I said. Hit a wet spot in a turn and say the inside tire spins a little, but hooks up right after. Traction control over reacts and kills all power for a few seconds. Suddenly the space between you and oncoming traffic gets really small.

I've turned off traction control on both of my cars and never had an issue after that.

Blown 89

Established Member
Totally opposite of what I said. Hit a wet spot in a turn and say the inside tire spins a little, but hooks up right after. Traction control over reacts and kills all power for a few seconds. Suddenly the space between you and oncoming traffic gets really small.

I've turned off traction control on both of my cars and never had an issue after that.
If you're accelerating so fast that a little wet spot triggers the traction control you're accelerating too fast and cutting it too close. Your throttle control should be better than that but if it's that poor you need traction control more than anyone else on here.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you're accelerating so fast that a little wet spot triggers the traction control you're accelerating too fast and cutting it too close. Your throttle control should be better than that but if it's that poor you need traction control more than anyone else on here.
Yep. You're right. I don't know anything about driving cars. I see the error of my ways so I'll go ahead and sell it and buy a Honda.

Have a good one.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Yep. You're right. I don't know anything about driving cars. I see the error of my ways so I'll go ahead and sell it and buy a Honda.

Have a good one.
In all fairness, if you can't control a street car when you go over a puddle.......

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member

Have a good one.

IDK about you guys but I never stick my foot in a supercharged performance car with an exhaust note created by god himself. It’s just too risky and I worry that people will think I am a careless driver by keeping my car under control while having some fun. I play a game with myself to also never go into boost. Just not worth the risk. I also put a mask on my tailpipes to reduce carbon emissions.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've also had the same issues with terminator traction control though. Trying to get out across several lanes during a busy time with a little haste set off my TC and nearly got me in trouble a few times. Don't try and tell me you've never had to get into traffic quickly, or risk waiting 3 hours...

MG0h3

Established Member
In all fairness, if you can't control a street car when you go over a puddle.......

You’re totally missing the point and kindof being argumentative/childish.

Maybe you aren’t familiar with how shitty the traction control is or don’t have enough torque to activate it basically off idle?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown 89

Established Member
You’re totally missing the point and kindof being argumentative/childish.

Maybe you aren’t familiar with how shitty the traction control is or don’t have enough torque to activate it basically off idle?

These cars aren't unmanageable in the wet off idle. Not even close. The argument here is that if you pull out into traffic and hit a puddle you're going to get rear ended when the traction control kicks in. That's absurd and you know it

1) don't accelerate like an idiot in traffic
2) don't pull out in front of other cars in a gap so small that is dangerous when your lead foot spins the tires.

There isn't anything childish or unreasonable about expecting a grown adult to be in control of his car in traffic.

The 03 doesn't have unmanageable torque off idle that comes out of nowhere to bite you in normal traffic conditions. No car does.

hotcobra03

Established Member
My '03 Cobra ABS/traction control module has failed, allowing it to dump brake fluid. Ford no longer makes the part, and it seems no one has it in stock.

However, there is an ABS-delete module. Basically it's a carved hunk of billet aluminum that connects to the existing fittings. Put it in, bleed the brakes, and you're done. Brakes now work great, but, obviously, with no ABS and no traction control.

The question is: if I go that route, can I get the car inspected in the state of Texas? Because it will be throwing a flag on the now non-functioning ABS.

Anybody even know where to start on this?
South Texas here,,
Something I found out, Texas is strange.
Where you take written test you have to do your test drive for you dl,,

But when I get inspected it doesn't matter where I go in the state. But registration is by county,

I laugh more at what's not needed to pass inspection

Don't need wipers
Don't need a windshield
Don't need reverse light
Only need 1 mirror to see behind you.
Even a cracked windshield won't fail.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
very true, before i had it turned off in the tune, i remember a few pucker-up moments if i forgot to push that button

i have never heard this
I'd never heard of it either. But while looking at ABS delete blocks awhile back I stumbled up on this at LMR. Even though it won't fit Cobras. Refer to installation note. Traction control I'm not worried about as it been turned off in the tune already.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'd never heard of it either. But while looking at ABS delete blocks awhile back I stumbled up on this at LMR. Even though it won't fit Cobras. Refer to installation note. Traction control I'm not worried about as it been turned off in the tune already.

yeah that is interesting. maybe it does affect non-sn95 mustangs or other makes and models and they just copy and pasted that line, not sure. but i don't see how it can affect the cc since they are on completely different circuts and when the module fails the light comes on and it is like there is no module at all anyway. unless it somehow completes the circuit by running it through that abs harness, but i doubt it. maybe i will check out the wiring schematic though cuz now i'm curious.

here is the guy i bought mine from years ago. very quality piece and it looks like he has even upgraded his technology in recently to make them better.

@James Snover here is some reference reading linked at that site to perhaps help you make your decision on getting yours fixed (or to delete). cheers

MG0h3

Established Member
These cars aren't unmanageable in the wet off idle. Not even close. The argument here is that if you pull out into traffic and hit a puddle you're going to get rear ended when the traction control kicks in. That's absurd and you know it

1) don't accelerate like an idiot in traffic
2) don't pull out in front of other cars in a gap so small that is dangerous when your lead foot spins the tires.

There isn't anything childish or unreasonable about expecting a grown adult to be in control of his car in traffic.

The 03 doesn't have unmanageable torque off idle that comes out of nowhere to bite you in normal traffic conditions. No car does.

We can manage it just fine.

What I can’t manage is my car falling on its face for five seconds.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread