Legal headers

californiaZ

Established Member
Okay, I've tried searching the archives and I can't find a good answer. Which shortie headers are legal in Cali? I plan on using a 3" x-pipe and exhaust with cats and would like to find a good set of legal shorties.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
JBA Shorties - best shorties out there. Be sure to get the 1 5/8" (ceramic coated ones if you can). They are legal in CA - long tubes are out if you are wanting to stay "smog test friendly". Don't know about the new mid-length bassani headers... worth checking that one out.

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
SN8K

Do you have a web sit or link to lots of pictures of your 03? Just wanted to see some MG or DSG 03 Cobra pics!

Silver 03 Cobra

Don't waste your money on FMS headers. There are documented gains of 2-3 HP. My buddy and I just dynoed our 03's after we both added 2.80 pulleys.

He has BBK LT's, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster catback, Johnny Lightning CAI, Diablo chip, 2.80 pulley, colder plugs. He made 480 rwhp and 502 rwt.

I have JBA 1 5/8th headers, Bassani o/r h-pipe, Bassani catback, 9 in conical filter, JDM Flipchip, 2.80 pulley colder plugs and I made 479 rwhp and 479 rwt. I was happy with the HP but my buddy has me on torque.

My buddy was very lean on top and I actually fattened up over my 2.93 pulley. I was running 11.1 at 6k rpm. I think I could gain a little with a program change. I also think they may have forgotten to put a fan on my engine when I dynoed which would have cost me some power and maybe fattened me up.

I think the headers are real close as long as you don't get FMS.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by Got-Cobra?
SN8K

Do you have a web sit or link to lots of pictures of your 03? Just wanted to see some MG or DSG 03 Cobra pics!
Well, it's not exactly a web page where you can click on thumbnail pics - but I have a few pics I took of the 03 after we picked it up from the dealer.

http://www.pylon1.com/cobra/071702/

I really need to take some more pics of both Cobras - maybe next week :-D

Users who are viewing this thread