Left Axle Seal Leak

zacram97

Need help. I finally got around to doing the Full Tilt Boogie IRS kit, and replaced the clutches in the diff while it was apart. After I put the IRS back together, the car developed a leak coming out the driver's side axle. Its coming out right where the halfshaft meets the differential. Figured I must have tore the seal when putting the axles back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zacram97

Just wanted someone else's input that knows these cars better than I do before I tear it all apart again.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You don't have to tear it all apart. Just pull the half shaft and pop out the old seal then put in the new one. I had to do it previously. You don't even need to remove the center section from the car.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I agree you must be careful not to cut the seals when installing the halfshafts.

Years ago I bought the special OTC tool 205-461 as specified in the service manual, because I'm crazy like that. But over the years I think it has probably saved a seal or two, with as many times as I've removed and reinstalled those things.

Users who are viewing this thread