Leathal budget return system any one using it?

MG0h3

Established Member
Not an engineer but if the lines are too small (you are pumping more fuel than they can carry) you would see uncontrollable high pressure. Just liken it to turning the water on at your garden hose. Turn it half way on, water trickles out (low pressure), crank the volume up and it shoots out farther (high pressure).

JeremyH

Established Member
Not exactly a correct statement remember pressure and volume(flow) for a fuel pump are inversely related not proportional as you state in your garden hose analogy. For that garden hose pressure is not regulated at the nozzle, you changed the flow by adjusting the valve at the source where pressure is set from the main line. You increased flow by opening the valve further which increased the speed of the water as it exited the hose. In a semi closed system where final pressure is regulated at the end of the hose, the lower fuel pump outlet pressure is the higher the pumps flows through the line, the higher pump output pressure is the less flow you get.

Actual flow of the pump or pumps is determined by pump capacity and discharge pressure at the pump outlet. Any line or filter restriction as the fuel travels causes a pressure drop not rise. So pressure at the end of the system ie at the rails/injectors and up to the regulator which controls pressure is less than pump outlet pressure.

So the restriction caused by friction in the line/filter between pump and regulator will determine pump outlet pressure and flow. For example a 5/16" id factory line at say 600lph of flow may have 40psi at the rails but 50psi pressure at the pump outlet. Where as a 1/2" or 8an line may only have a 45psi pump outlet pressure to get 40psi to the rails which means you now have more flow. So essentially the shorter the line the smaller it can be, the longer the line, the larger it needs to be to not affect flow at the regulated pressure.

The point where pressure at the rails could rise uncontrollably is if the non pressurized return line coming out of the regulator back to the tank is too small for the flow of the pump(s) at the regulated pressure and engine speed (injector pulse width). So at idle you might raise the minimum pressure you can achieve with the regulator. As rpms climb injectors pulse longer and more volume of fuel is consumed by the engine and pressure will come back down.

Here are some rules of thumb for a typical fuel setup for those that like to calculate this stuff:
Oem 5/16 port paper filter 2-3psi loss (clean/new filter)
Aftermarket higher flow filter 1psi loss (clean/new filter)
10an line 1psi loss every 9ft
8an line 1psi loss every 6ft
6an line 1psi loss every 3ft.

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
alright, i decided to change my system up so i can get away from the regulator after the rails along with cutting down on the over heated fuel going back to the tank. Going to setup my system link Lethals and so many others Deadhead style.
Ending up going to run a -8 feed, Regulator, Y back of the rails, and then my current -6 as a return.
Question im having is, will the lethal Division X regulator allow me to feed into and then out the otherside to the rails?

XXWildCoyoteXX

Established Member
With those size feed and return lines, what power lvl am I going to see a fueling issue? Currently running a GT500 H122 Ported Blower swap with a future interest in going 70 or 76mm turbo setup.

JeremyH

Established Member
Some general guide lines for line size to optimize the setup.
600hp - 6an feed/return
800hp - 8an feed / 6an return
1000hp - 8an feed/return
1200hp - 10an feed / 8an return

As always with enough pump you can push smaller lines further before noticing any issues but these are the sizes you would like to be at for these power levels. Doesn't hurt to step up a size, especially when running more volume with e85.

Users who are viewing this thread