learning to tune yourself

brandonflood123

Established Member
so ive recently been thinking about getting the lasotaracing book and dvd as well as the prp software. from what i have been reading there are mixed emotions. my question is, is it really worth it? can sombody with no knowledge on tuning do it, and make good power safely. typically how long does it take to learn it? how does the tuning work? how risky is it? im very intrested in learning how to do it myself and think it would be something neat to know and be proud of how my car performs if i have it tuned correctly. at the same time i do not want to blow my motor. my car is my daily driver right now so how would that play out aswell as ive ready sometimes it can take weeks or months to get your tune the way you would like it to be.

anyways sorry for all the questions. ive pm'd don here on the site but id like member feed back aswell.

thanks guys!

brandonflood123

Established Member
You might want to look through this thread:
To tune myself or seek a tuner? - SVTPerformance

When I first started tuning my car was my daily driver. It gave me lots of chances to datalog.

ive read throught that thread.

my car is completely stock right now but i have a 2.9l whipple and a jlt 127mm cai, and long tubes with an offroad x pipe also will be putting the cj65 tb on as well as injectors and a bap. was just curious as to if something like that would be okay to try tunning myself. i dont know how to tune but wanna learn also dont wanna blow my car up in the process. i dont even know how datalogging works :shrug:

iguess when he gives me a startup tune that would be safe to use and adjust while going to and from work untill its dialed in?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have a big bore stroker with a Vortech T trim and pretty much all supporting mods. You can tune it yourself. Just take it slow and don't get greedy.

brandonflood123

Established Member
I have a big bore stroker with a Vortech T trim and pretty much all supporting mods. You can tune it yourself. Just take it slow and don't get greedy.

i am a very patient person and could definitely take my time doing it. the book and dvd teaches you all the things you will need to know(basic wise)?

is there anything that you need besides and a/f gauge and the software and a computer(what kinda computer requirements)? any separate stuff that you have to buy?

how does data logging work?

thanks for taking the time to look at my thread by the way, esp from somebody who uses the software im interested in.

brandonflood123

Established Member
also will i require other things to get my car tuned besides the book and dvd or will they cover what i need to know as a basic user.

im seriously interested in this and wanna know all the details before i go and purchase it.

does the software only work for tuning my one car or can i write tunes for freinds and stuff eventually ?

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I started I used the DVD a lot. I would play it while building my tune. I was lucky in that I had a friend that was a tuner that was willing to help when I first started. He was a big help when I was learning the basics. Beyond that I use the PRP forum a lot.

I currently use an Acer netbook to tune and datalog with. Before that I used a Toshiba Satellite before it blue screened on me. If I could find a Vista disc I'd repair it and continue using it.

In order to datalog you have to download Livelink from SCT. Then you connect the hand held device to the car and then connect the computer to the device. Open the Livelink software, select your PIDs, and hit go. That's pretty much it.

brandonflood123

Established Member
When I started I used the DVD a lot. I would play it while building my tune. I was lucky in that I had a friend that was a tuner that was willing to help when I first started. He was a big help when I was learning the basics. Beyond that I use the PRP forum a lot.

I currently use an Acer netbook to tune and datalog with. Before that I used a Toshiba Satellite before it blue screened on me. If I could find a Vista disc I'd repair it and continue using it.

In order to datalog you have to download Livelink from SCT. Then you connect the hand held device to the car and then connect the computer to the device. Open the Livelink software, select your PIDs, and hit go. That's pretty much it.

okay cool, and does it cost to download the livelink?

what does PIDs stand for?

sorry im a complete noob, i have tons of questions.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Acronym List

Be sure to sign up to our help forum, its free to anyone and has tons of information about our product.

With VCM Suite you can tune up to 4 vehicles after that its just $99.98 per vehicle after that, we also offer year/model & tunershop licensing.

-Bill

brandonflood123

Established Member
Acronym List

Be sure to sign up to our help forum, its free to anyone and has tons of information about our product.

With VCM Suite you can tune up to 4 vehicles after that its just $99.98 per vehicle after that, we also offer year/model & tunershop licensing.

-Bill

wow thank you for that list that helps out alot!

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
As said earlier, take your time and don't get greedy. It is actually pretty easy, and with Don, you can shoot him questions and he can help you out. Once you get PRP, you can log onto the SCT PRP only forums and get help there also.

brandonflood123

Established Member
As said earlier, take your time and don't get greedy. It is actually pretty easy, and with Don, you can shoot him questions and he can help you out. Once you get PRP, you can log onto the SCT PRP only forums and get help there also.

okay thank you!

watman02

Established Member
If I were you I would get hptuners over sct. I have both and if they supported my 04 mach 1 I would deff user them over sct! The upfront cost of sct vs hptuners is similar but hp tunrrs offers real time tunning and they are working on auto tunning.
just my opinion.

brandonflood123

Established Member
If I were you I would get hptuners over sct. I have both and if they supported my 04 mach 1 I would deff user them over sct! The upfront cost of sct vs hptuners is similar but hp tunrrs offers real time tunning and they are working on auto tunning.
just my opinion.

what do you mean by real time tuning?

Users who are viewing this thread