Learning to tune EFI

00BlackGT

Established Member
I was just wondering if there is any good literature that you would all recommend to learn the basics of EFI tuning, i feel i have a strong grasp on the mechanical working of a vehicle but would love to learn the programming aspect of it.

Zach

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Best way is to learn by doing.

Start off small, and small steps and changes, and start seeing what each change does.

I had it easy. I started with a SAFC (piggyback that fools the ecu into changing its fuel curve by lying to it telling it either more or less air is being seen) and a simple palm IIIc with PocketLogger software on a DSM. Started with low boost and worked up from there. Learned that by seeing timing drop it meant knock which meant i needed to richen fuel in that spot to compensate, also could read the o2 sensor to verify this. When i got to the point i could no longer richen enough to compensate for knock conditions, i was at the "Edge" of the tune, and id pull boost back. Very rudimentary but it got the job done in 2003-2004.

Then i moved up to DSMlink which allows FULL almost stand-alone like control over the stock ECU paramaters (literally turns the stock ecu into a hybrid stand-alone with full stock drivability under the curve). Simply dial in injector dead times and dwell and a few other settings (long term and short term fuel trims), do a pull, see results, make changes, do another pull, see new results, repeat. With that you could adjust timing, fuel, airflow, what the ecu is calculating for VE, etc. you could control secondary fuel systems or other injection systems (nitrous, meth) with it. Its built in logging system allowed for 300samples/sec of ALL functions, and unlike other OBDII port loggers, did not suffer from the same port lag that happens the more parameters you try to log. It also allowed you to use useless inputs (stock map, rear o2) as secondary 0-5v inputs, so you could log a wideband o2, a 3 or 5bar MAP sensor, even V3 allowed you to add an IAT to the mix so you could tune via "Speed Density" which was far more accurate than the standard DSM model of tuning (name escapes me).

Thats how I learned.

Never did much hands-on with the Mustang though. There isnt much support for end-user tuning solutions, the standard response to tuning in the domestic world is "Take it to a dyno" whereas the import world its "Heres some freebie software some guys hacked together, have fun". The guy that tuned my Cobra was pretty taken when I told him the parameters I wanted to have (18-19* timing, 11.5:1 afr up top to help alleviate the 7-8 cylinder lean condition under extended WOT) and then I told him i was an Ex-DSMer (at that time) and he was just like "oh, makes sense". He also learned from tuning DSM's.

Last edited:

00BlackGT

Established Member
makes sence guys, it just boggles my mind to know where to start... like if you add a KB to a stock cobra, how much fuel do you add?

i guess you learn alot from doing.

but will most likely order the resources that you guys presented.

Janstang

Established Member
That book in particular I referenced above will take you damn near step-by-step in tuning with the PRP. I read it front to back twice before I started tuning on mine and never had an issue.

HotStart

Fastest Stock Daytona
Established Member
As far as tuning literature, I'll echo other comments and say to start with everything Greg Banish has published. For learning to tune Fords, the SCT manual and LaSota DVD are very helpful. You can know as much theory and logic as you want, but some things just have to be known/figured out for different platforms (ex. Internal processor value limits).

If you have the time/money/desire to take courses on tuning, I highly recommend it. I think that forums like this are great, and usually very helpful to the community. On the other hand, there is also a lot of heresy, unqualified advise, and misuse of terminology, which can do as much harm as good. My advice for forums is to read as much as you can, and always question the information. I highly recommend taking EFI 101/Advanced from EFI university if you're interested in tuning yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread