Learning how to weld?

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I am looking at the possibility of getting a welder. I have two projects I am going to be picking up (a 66 mustang) and a an 89 notchback. The 66 I want to do some suspension stuff and some other custom fabrication. The 89 is going to be a track car only.

Anyone here do welding/fab as a hobby? If so what are some good resources to do this? Any recommendation on the welder itself? I don't want to skimp on the cost here. Also any good ways to practice? Just welding junk metal ect?

Thanks,

beef97

Established Member
I was in the same situation. I ended up taking an actual welding course through a community college here in Dallas. Great program and lots of fun learning to weld. Spent a class day on oxy and then it's been all MIG welding since then. I think we'll end up doing a bit of TIG and that's about it. I'll still be a bit nervous welding on my '67 but at least I've got some basic knowledge before. I really recommend getting some instruction before welding on your cars! I really like the Miller welders that we use in class, I believe its the Millermatic 211. Not sure which process you are wanting to get into but let me know what info you've found as i'd like to further my skills! Good luck!

SixPak

Established Member
image.jpeg

I picked this book up and taught myself how to weld. We had a nice Lincoln TIG welder where I worked so practicing was no problem.
This was probably 25 years ago so there may be better books, and this particular book may not even be in print anymore. But if you can find it, it is prolly one of the better ones out there. I found it in the bookstore of a community college I was attending that had a pretty good industrial arts program.
As far as a welding rig goes, a nice entry level wire feed unit will prolly set you back around $1200.00. These machines will run on 120/230V. Then you'll need a bottle of inert gas and the type/length of wire you'll be using, gloves, mask. Figure roughly $1500.00 to get started. But you can spend more depending on what bells and whistles you get.
One thing to pay attention to is the duty cycle of the machine. Stay away from anything less than 10%. 20% would be a good starter. Keep in mind the higher the duty cycle, the higher the cost. The duty cycle represents how long you can continuously run a bead before the machine overheats.
A TIG/MIG welder is prolly the most versital machines out there. I have welded just about everything there is to weld with them, stainless, cold steel, aluminum, even fixed a broken key for a fellow workers car one time so he could get home.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
It is definitely do-able (teaching yourself to weld). I originally picked it up about 15 years ago, to weld on my Jeep. Have quite a few projects under my belt since then, it is a super useful skill.

I started with one of the Home Depot Lincoln 125's wire feed MIG's (not really adequate for structural stuff) but I did manage to use it to make plate bumpers, rock sliders, tire carrier and a few other projects for the Jeep.

I then stepped up to and still have a Hobart Ironman 210. It is kinda a beast and not so portable (it is on it's own cart/weighs 200+ lbs). It is also a 220V machine so requires that type of outlet. It is much more capable in general, it has a lower low end than the cheap Lincoln (for sheet metal/exhaust), and obviously a much higher top end (supposedly up to 3/8th's plate single pass); although I've never used mine like that. It has a spoolgun option so could weld aluminum or stainless; I may pick that up soon to expand its capability a bit.

Hindsight 20/20 and when I had made the original purchase I would have/should have saved up for a TIG or bought one used. Harder to learn (steeper learning curve), but if you master that process you can do any other type of welding more than likely.

Metal used to be much cheaper when I started to weld. I used to go to my local bulk steel supplier and you could buy scrap (left over random lengths/types/gauges); from other orders. This made for perfect practice material. I'm pretty sure they don't even do that anymore. Home Depot or Lowe's or ______________ insert hardware store here is the worst and most expensive place to get material.

When I most recently finished my MM 6 point, I ordered the DOM I used from Jeg's. Probably not the best price either but I've recently moved and don't have the "connections" material wise I use to.

I keep kicking around the idea of taking some classes at a junior community college to learn the TIG process/oxy welding/stick as it is something I really enjoy doing "just for fun"

My setup:

IMG_20160417_092207443_zpsaybu6w8s.jpg

Hobart's used to be re-badged Miller's (a great value), mine has all Miller parts in it. I went and looked at one just recently-it appears that has since changed (much lower quality...) so buyer beware there.

As someone else mentioned you'll need to buy/lease/rent a gas tank from your local welding supply; you will want to use shielding gas even though any machine can run flux core. Flux core is smoky and makes a big mess (slag). I "own" my tank (one time expenditure), and replacing it/re-filling it is like exchanging your propane tank for your BBQ. Don't buy a super nice new tank and get attached to it because they don't re-fill them onsite; even when you "own" the tank you exchange it for a full one..... If you rent/lease the tank there might be a small monthly fee? Not sure how that works as I've never gone that route.

Last edited:

MechE

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I am looking at the possibility of getting a welder. I have two projects I am going to be picking up (a 66 mustang) and a an 89 notchback. The 66 I want to do some suspension stuff and some other custom fabrication. The 89 is going to be a track car only.

Anyone here do welding/fab as a hobby? If so what are some good resources to do this? Any recommendation on the welder itself? I don't want to skimp on the cost here. Also any good ways to practice? Just welding junk metal ect?

Thanks,
Start by welding up the seams of the unibody. Cant see them, and you will end up with a pretty stiff ride with subframes and a cage.

what kind of racing you getting into?

Users who are viewing this thread