WANTED: Learn about 2014 GT500 to buy

CJM

Hello everyone, My name is Chris, new member, and would have an interest in purchasing a very low mile and extremely well kept 2014 Shelby GT500. I own a19' Hellcat wide body manual, 10' Pontiac GXP manual and 10'Camaro SS manual we did for Hot Rod Magazine in 2010 that has a warmed crate LS7 that has about 590-HP with 4:11 diff. Basically, a new version of the 69' street COPO. We did it with some of the engineering folks at GM at the time and it's really a fun driver. All that said, I'm looking for my last manual car to add and enjoy. Maybe some advice of what to look for would be welcomed. I would not have an interest in modified by a previous owner as I drove this car as new from a buddy and it's well versed from the factory. Appreciate your input in advance. Chris

CJM

Appreciate your input. It’s about the journey and learning along the way. I agree that there will be some examples of slight mods. Let’s see what the journey brings. Happy Thanksgiving! Chris

LS WUT

Established Member
Happy Thanksgiving bud, welcome to SVTP. I’d say there are a few things that are okay for simple mods. Such as listed above, the factory Intake is quiet, and a lot of us enjoy listening to the Supercharger Whine. The stock AxelBacks aren’t bad at all, these come with a Resonator Delete from the factory. So they already have a good tone to them, some just want a little louder. There isn’t too many things to look for with these cars, they’re pretty stout if I’m honest. There are a few members on here, along with myself who have some higher mileage ones and haven’t had to replace much of anything. One thing I will say that does become an issue is the Wiring Harness for the Intercooler Pump. Those go out sometimes, similar to the C6 Z06 with the valve guides. Some have the issues, some don’t. I’m about to turn 70k miles on mine. I agree with the glass roof. It’s such a cool feature to have, the 2014 comes with the Snake in the Cluster versus the Mustang in the cluster for the 13’s. I believe later 13’s had the Snake. If I can think of anything else I’ll be sure to throw some more in here, hope this helps a little bit.

noco5.0

Established Member
I bought a bone stock 14 with under 1000 miles this summer. Nothing stood out I just changed coolant and brake fluid when I got it and started driving the car. I purchased aftermarket wheels and might do some other minor mods but plan to leave the power train stock. You are going to pay up for a pristine low mileage example. Honestly if we didn't have the ridiculous emissions regulations here I would have preferred a lightly modified car with a few more miles. I would guess you could easily save 10k and the car would still be reliable.

CJM

Thanks for your input. I too have added chrome moly axles on my GM products for durability. For sure you need to look at what was engineered and maybe at times, there is a later product to address known issues. I do think the GT500 was very well engineered from the folks I’ve spoken with over the years and would be an enjoyable car on the road. No intention on racing. Happy thanksgiving my man ! Chris

beau t

Established Member
Why a 14 and not a 13 or 14? To me the 13 brings the 1st year of the 5.8, and its a anniversary car which should help out on resale (maybe), just curious.
Edit : Welcome.

CJM

Great question. That’s why I’m open to the SVT thread folks who drive these cars. My assumption is the 14’s would have a few engineering tweaks from the factory. By example, the updates on the drive shaft. Maybe this update was all about the 200-mph number and not the street long term performance? Again, open to knowing more and engaging in this community who have first hand cardinal knowledge of driving these machines. Chris

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone, My name is Chris, new member, and would have an interest in purchasing a very low mile and extremely well kept 2014 Shelby GT500. I own a19' Hellcat wide body manual, 10' Pontiac GXP manual and 10'Camaro SS manual we did for Hot Rod Magazine in 2010 that has a warmed crate LS7 that has about 590-HP with 4:11 diff. Basically, a new version of the 69' street COPO. We did it with some of the engineering folks at GM at the time and it's really a fun driver. All that said, I'm looking for my last manual car to add and enjoy. Maybe some advice of what to look for would be welcomed. I would not have an interest in modified by a previous owner as I drove this car as new from a buddy and it's well versed from the factory. Appreciate your input in advance. Chris

a modded one is, well, 10X better versed when done correctly.

*13/14 are pretty much identical, no significant mechanical differences between the two

* replace any factory Goodyear tires immediately

Best of luck in your search

Lots of info and topics of discussion here to saturate your brain.

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
Lots of info and topics of discussion here to saturate your brain.

That's what I did. When I was looking for my '14, I went, page by page, on that forum, reading up on everyone's experience with these cars. After that, I asked a few questions and found the car. There's a wealth of info in that forum.

CJM

Thank you. Yes, that’s what I’m doing and agree with a wealth of information too. Have a great football Saturday! Curious, what was one thing you discovered that you did not know and had weight for Knowledge? For me so far is the motor itself. Seems to be quite the engineering piece with both power output as well as longevity without issues which is asking a lot from how hard that motor is pumped up. Chris

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome.
Good choice to complement your good taste in manual trans American muscle.
Find the cleanest glass roof ‘13-14 with the Recaro seats that you can.
They are good/great stock and amazing with mild mods (starting with tires and gears).
I ordered my ‘14 and still have it.
Do you want to sell that manual WB Hellcat?
-J

CJM

Great question. Absolutely not. It’s outrageous as a street machine right out of the box and no longer available with the manual. It’s also a big car for sure. That makes it’s very comfortable as a driver to include the seats that are more of living room comfortable. Jay Leno said it’s his favorite road-trip car he owns. I agree. Anyway, a stable would not be as complete without a GT500 in my book

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great question. Absolutely not. It’s outrageous as a street machine right out of the box and no longer available with the manual. It’s also a big car for sure. That makes it’s very comfortable as a driver to include the seats that are more of living room comfortable. Jay Leno said it’s his favorite road-trip car he owns. I agree. Anyway, a stable would not be as complete without a GT500 in my book
Excellent answer. I had 2 orders in the system for manual WB in ‘20-21 and sadly none were built.
Still miss my ‘16 Charger HC.
Lots of experience here and guys who are original owners and still have them; so no bad questions.
-J

LS WUT

Established Member
AAB437BD-4B24-436E-8D62-C4F7B8E9BC1A.jpeg

Love them both.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey hey! That was take 4 days after the hurricane! Cut a guy some slack! Hahah. Thanks for the laugh gents.
Your neighborhood looks nothing like mine. Blue tarps and shit piled everywhere along the road. It's actually like that no matter where you go around here.

Users who are viewing this thread