Lean Protection Module!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Picked up a new batch of modules today. I have to run them through quality assurance and testing but they should start shipping within a day or two. Email me at [email protected] if you want one. For some reason I no longer get forum emails when someone replies to a thread I'm subscribed to so it's making it hard to keep track of threads on here.

photo%2525203.JPG

blknredsnake

Established Member
when you kill you the ignition at 60 mph say will the car still inject fuel? creating a situation that could lead to a backfire or something worse?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
when you kill you the ignition at 60 mph say will the car still inject fuel? creating a situation that could lead to a backfire or something worse?

When it kills the ignition the car falls flat on its face instantly, you release the gas pedal and such minimal gas is been squirted. You have to release the gas pedal completely and then depress lightly back on the gas pedal for the car to turn back on. There are no back fires this way.

If the ignition were to come back on while still holding WOT or close to it that would be risky. The user is forced to completely let off the gas and then press back in for the car to come back on.

KEVINS

Established Member
I bought the dual WB unit and I got it mounted the other day. I mounted the controller under the rear seat along with the Safeguard knock detector and the Alky Control controller.

I put the LED next to the alchy LED's on the speedo bezel for now. I don't know if these LED's will stay there but the bezel is an old one so I will test the placement with this bezel to see if I like them there. So far the alchy LED's haven't bothered me.

IMG_8016.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

f2hatch

Established Member
you have some in stock? i plan on ordering one within the week

KEVINS

Established Member
Blew a head gasket today because I didn't have the LPM plugged in!! AAAAaarrgg..

I was trouble shooting some issues last week so I unplugged the LPM until I got them figured out which I did. Today I meant to plug it in but forgot and went for a quick blast to give a friend a ride and all of a sudden POOF.. Blew a head gasket. Lucky for me I was logging it and you can clearly see the O2's starting at 10.4 and getting leaner and leaner all the way to 15 when the gasket blew half way through second gear. Odd thing is that I kept my foot into it even in 3rd gear and the car went back to 10.4 like normal with good fuel pressure and ran fine except a slight miss. I have no clue why it went lean then went back to normal and even the SafeGuard knock detector didn't register any knock.

Totally sucks too b/c I had a dyno day scheduled on the 28th of this month..:(
Time to pull a motor and fix the gaskets.

ks

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Blew a head gasket today because I didn't have the LPM plugged in!! AAAAaarrgg..

I was trouble shooting some issues last week so I unplugged the LPM until I got them figured out which I did. Today I meant to plug it in but forgot and went for a quick blast to give a friend a ride and all of a sudden POOF.. Blew a head gasket. Lucky for me I was logging it and you can clearly see the O2's starting at 10.4 and getting leaner and leaner all the way to 15 when the gasket blew half way through second gear. Odd thing is that I kept my foot into it even in 3rd gear and the car went back to 10.4 like normal with good fuel pressure and ran fine except a slight miss. I have no clue why it went lean then went back to normal and even the SafeGuard knock detector didn't register any knock.

Totally sucks too b/c I had a dyno day scheduled on the 28th of this month..:(
Time to pull a motor and fix the gaskets.

ks

Dude :bash: When playing and tinkering the LPM plugged in and working is a must! Blowing head gaskets on my old turbo honda is what inspired the original LPM. Hopefully all you have is a blown head gasket.
Good luck on the head gasket job.

KEVINS

Established Member
Yea, just stupid luck! You can clearly see the O2's starting out just fine but then going lean and then going back to normal. That is the scariest part of this b/c WHY did it do that. I have NO CLUE so it can, and probably will, happen again. It happened about 5 seconds into the run... It blew the passenger gasket to the outside so the oil looks good and nothing in the water. It just blows raw fuel all over the inside of the engine compartment when running.
Time to learn how to fix mod-motors which is a new animal for me.

This is what a DLG (Dumb Luck Graph) looks like:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Wow that's a big lean spike for sure and exactly the kind of thing the LPM is designed to save you from. Once your car is back together and the LPM is pulled back in :) time to take some data logs, watch fuel pressure, fuel pump duty cycle etc. and see what's going on.

cj428mach

Established Member
Yea, just stupid luck! You can clearly see the O2's starting out just fine but then going lean and then going back to normal. That is the scariest part of this b/c WHY did it do that. I have NO CLUE so it can, and probably will, happen again. It happened about 5 seconds into the run... It blew the passenger gasket to the outside so the oil looks good and nothing in the water. It just blows raw fuel all over the inside of the engine compartment when running.
Time to learn how to fix mod-motors which is a new animal for me.

Are you sure its a head gasket? You mention the car going lean and you have fuel spraying all over the engine bay, yet you say the oil looks good and so does the coolant. Are you sure your fuel leak isn't just the cause of your lean condition and has nothing to do with whats going on inside the motor?

Best of luck fixing it.

KEVINS

Established Member
You have a good point. I haven't gotten to tear into it yet but one tail pipe is blowing raw fuel and maybe some water along with the raw fuel on the passenger side of the block but it doesn't appear to be water since it dries in seconds. I'll take some time this week to really diagnose it.

ks

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Any plans on getting a group buy going on this? would like to get one but $330 is a lot to protect my motor...haha jk

Group buy pricing is the absolute lowest I can get. I have to order these units in bulk from the factory to achieve this pricing. It's $329 to your door in the greater 48 states and that includes paypal fees, shipping and insurance. Rather than waiting on people to come forth for orders I've forked out the cash up front and pre-ordered units. I have them in stock now and ready to ship. Shoot me a message if interested.

71catruck

Established Member
I got my LPM installed a few months ago just waiting for my car to go to the dyno for a tune so i can set up the LPM. Did a ported blower and meth at the same time. Malcolm is a great guy though, i was having problems with mine connecting to my laptop so i emailed him. He actually had me call him on a Saturday to figure it out. ended up just being a bad usb cable. he even offered to send out a new one, i refused since its just a normal cable and not worth the price to ship. Thanks again Malcolm for the help.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I got my LPM installed a few months ago just waiting for my car to go to the dyno for a tune so i can set up the LPM. Did a ported blower and meth at the same time. Malcolm is a great guy though, i was having problems with mine connecting to my laptop so i emailed him. He actually had me call him on a Saturday to figure it out. ended up just being a bad usb cable. he even offered to send out a new one, i refused since its just a normal cable and not worth the price to ship. Thanks again Malcolm for the help.

Anytime buddy, glad to help :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread