Leaking heater core hose

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Hi fellas,

I have a leaky heater core hose that I’m trying to replace. The connection on the fire wall is tight but doable. The problem I’m running into is the bottom portion of the hose. Does anybody have any experience with having replaced it? Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Are you just replacing the rubber part or the hardlines?

Both soft lines have hose clamps holding them on. Hard lines, one goes into the back of the head, the other bolts to the rear of the head but plugs in the front of the engine valley under the blower.

1A4A12AC-9AAA-4C91-871E-61E7F83C83CF.jpeg

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Thanks so much for the reply. I’m replacing the soft line that go from the firewall to the back of the passenger side head. Is there a way to do it without pulling the tranny? Or any advice you could give to make it the least labor intensive?

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Mine broke when I had a 3.4 Whipple, had to drop the trans to replace it or remove the blower.
Was easier dropping the trans than removing that big ass blower. Between that and removing longtubes to remove my trans (6r80) it made me go to a turbo setup. I ended up buying both heater core hoses from eBay and replaced them both.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the response. Damn! That’s what I was hoping to avoid. $50 dollar hose and a bunch of labor. Do you recall how long it took to drop the tranny?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Hmmm, I wonder if you remove driveshaft, remove rear trans mount and lower the trans leaning the engine back if that would be enough room to reach up and undo the clamp. If not, remove the trans.

I can pull my trans in an hr. I’ve done it a few times so it’s not that bad to me. First time…. I’d guess 4 hrs. It’s getting it back in that’s the issue. Need to line up input shaft and alignment dowels on bell housing, don’t pull it in with the bolts. Once you have it lined up correctly it will slide right in.

Un plug 02’s and trans connections, clutch cable, Mid pipe, driveshaft (put a rubber glove over end of trans for fluid), shifter, rear trans mount, Lower trans, undo the trans bolts (need 3 ft extension and universal joint), reach up near shifter on the right, can get to the tough bolt, then lower the trans with a jack.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Hmmm, I wonder if you remove driveshaft, remove rear trans mount and lower the trans leaning the engine back if that would be enough room to reach up and undo the clamp. If not, remove the trans.

I can pull my trans in an hr. I’ve done it a few times so it’s not that bad to me. First time…. I’d guess 4 hrs. It’s getting it back in that’s the issue. Need to line up input shaft and alignment dowels on bell housing, don’t pull it in with the bolts. Once you have it lined up correctly it will slide right in.

Un plug 02’s and trans connections, clutch cable, Mid pipe, driveshaft (put a rubber glove over end of trans for fluid), shifter, rear trans mount, Lower trans, undo the trans bolts (need 3 ft extension and universal joint), reach up near shifter on the right, can get to the tough bolt, then lower the trans with a jack.

same here, been doing it so many times over the years i pretty much have it down to a science. i don't have a lift or power tools... i use ramps/floor jacks only. it still takes me at least a day or so, but i stand around a lot looking at it a lot with a beer in hand =)

fwiw no need to remove the shifter, it juuuust barely clears... harbor freight trans jack is invaluable doing it on your back and fits the t-56 perfectly.... steel alignment tool helps, esp on a twin disc... tipping front of engine up helps line it up... also i leave the top right bitch bolt loosely in place with the vent bracket attached before stabbing, that way there's no need to try to reach up in there to mess with it. cheers

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Geez. Reading shit like this has me close to selling mine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Thank you to everyone that responded. This is probably a bit more than I can chew and I’ll have to take it to a shop. Unfortunately I don’t have the expertise or the time to do it myself. I really hope this $50 part won’t cost me more than 1k in labor. Regardless, I'm sure I’ll be grabbing my ankles when I take her into the shop. Thanks again everyone!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you're close to Rancho Cucamanga take it to GTR High Performance. I've never used them personally, but every I've talked that has only has good things to say.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Thank you to everyone that responded. This is probably a bit more than I can chew and I’ll have to take it to a shop. Unfortunately I don’t have the expertise or the time to do it myself. I really hope this $50 part won’t cost me more than 1k in labor. Regardless, I'm sure I’ll be grabbing my ankles when I take her into the shop. Thanks again everyone!
Take it 1 step at a time. Pop the hood, climb on top of the motor, look behind passenger side head, stick your hand down there and feel for the metal pipe and rubber hose, do you have enough room to get to the clamp? Can you feel the clamp?

For a little more room, remove the supercharger elbow and TB.

Can you get the clamp removal tool down there and remove the clamp? If you don't have one of these I'd highly recommend getting one.

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
Take it 1 step at a time. Pop the hood, climb on top of the motor, look behind passenger side head, stick your hand down there and feel for the metal pipe and rubber hose, do you have enough room to get to the clamp? Can you feel the clamp?

For a little more room, remove the supercharger elbow and TB.

Can you get the clamp removal tool down there and remove the clamp? If you don't have one of these I'd highly recommend getting one.

Thanks a million! I have a strut tower brace that I would have to remove as well. I never knew there was such a contraption. I’m going to try that before taking it into any shop.

ARMEDSVT

Established Member
If you're close to Rancho Cucamanga take it to GTR High Performance. I've never used them personally, but every I've talked that has only has good things to say.
I’ve actually used them a few times. Good dudes out there. They are a bit far from me but I’ll give them a call. Thanks so much for the reply.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I removed mine to bypass core,

Passenger side has a clamp and that tool shown is worth every penny,,
I wish I had it,,
Clamp also for other line under blower at rear of engine,

Users who are viewing this thread