Leaking Brake fluid from cap

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I noticed it seems to be leaking from the cap itself. I removed the cap, cleaned it and it still leaks. Anyone else have this problem? Can I just buy a new cap? It just seems it's not closing tight enough.

thanks

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I have the same thing. Supposedly, Ford overfills the brake fluid at the factory. I just occasionally wipe my master cylinder off to get rid of the overflow. I too wondered whether or not this is normal. In the MM&FF article where Nitrous Pete and Jim D'Amore had their little show down, upon looking at the picture of Jim's brake fluid fill cap, you will see he has the same thing we experience. I had my car in the dealership Friday to fix a few things and I mentioned this to them. Told me it was normal and that Ford overfills some of the fluids at the Factory.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I have seen this brake fluid "seepage" on virtually every car that I have owned. I have a very old habit of wiping down the fluid reservoir periodically.

Just the way it is...............

03DOHC

Established Member
Fords have weeped like that on the reservior for years. They all do it. Just squirt it with water every now and then.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Just squirt it with water every now and then.

not sure if this is a good idea....

Break fluid is the best paint remover I have ever seen.....

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
not sure if this is a good idea....

Break fluid is the best paint remover I have ever seen.....
And is water-soluble. Just let the water run straight down on the cap. I've been doing this for years without a problem. TIFWIW.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I just wipe it off with a paper towel every time I'm under the hood..it's become a ritual, just like turning off the TC :)

I've seen several dozen '03's and the vast majority have had evidence of leakage/weepage

I believe there were a couple posts of dealer fixes for this, one said it was a bad seam in the fused plastic reservoir and the other was bad o-rings at the master cylinder.....I can't see overfilling being the cause of this widespread problem becuase then it would stop occurring after the level dropped...which it does not :shrug:

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Funny you mention this, just the other night I was cleaning up the mess from my KB running at 17psi and noticed brake fluid as well. Your not alone.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I have had this problem from day 1 also. The dealer Techs said it was overfilled and removed a little fluid.
I still have the seepage, but it is more of a nuisance than anything. The fluid level really hasn't dropped much and is still safe. I have noticed that the seepage is more obvious after I beat up the brakes for a while and the fluid gets really hot and expands. My guess is that the vent system in the cap is very poorly designed, especially since it seems to be a universal problem.

I just wipe it off and monitor the fluid level. If it gets worse, Ford will fix it.

Dana

Cobra-R

Established Member
Lower the brake level to just above half way up the resivour, it will eliminate 75% of the problem. Monitor the level a little closer from then on.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread