Leaf

T56LS102

Established Member
Anyone have one as a 2nd car? I work about 7 miles away from work and used ones can be had for 10k or less, wondering if anyone has had or thought about doing the same thing? Also I already have 240volt service in my garage so thats a plus.

**flame suit on**

cbr repsol

Established Member
With only 7 miles away from work the savings you might be trying to do to keep miles off of your car are not worth it. Cost of vehicle, insurance, maintenance, ect. If you had a far commute i could see it worth it.
I drive about 75 to 100 miles a day between work and taking the kids to school and back so keeping our 03 corolla gas saver is worth the few extra bucks on insurance . Plus not driving the suv's we have im saving quite a bit on fuel.

roadracer247

Established Member
I don’t think anyone really cares what you drive to work and back. It’s your money, waste it as you will. Financially, I agree with Repsol. With such a short commute, buying a second/commuter car doesn’t make sense IMHO. It’ll just cost you a ton more as was said. But if you have money to burn, go for it.

That said, I have a commuter. A clean ‘99 es300 that I bought off a retired cop for a few thousand bucks. I bought it because I drive ~60 miles into the firehouse for 48 hrs shifts. Parked on the street. People rubbing up against it etc etc. The miles, fuel, and wear/tear made it so I didn’t wanna stack miles on something like a fancy new car or loaded truck. I average about 25k a year.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Nothing wrong with a Leaf as a commuter. It would take a long time though to recoup the investment cost vs. the money saved from not running your current vehicle. I don't think it would be worth it.

But if you only have one car now, Id honestly invest in a small CC motorcycle or even a scooter, especially since youre in LA. Lane splitting and super small displacement motorcycle WILL save you time and cash.

Again, as a DD all that matters is it gets you from point A to B. If a bike is a no go, Id look for a 1996-2000 Corolla or Civic.

Hunter98SVT

Maximum Over Rustle
Established Member
I drive 70+ miles a day for work. I have an 01 Taurus I bought from my neighbor for 1000 bucks and fill the tank once a week. Cheap to insure and parts are a dime a dozen.

But that's me. If it makes sense to you, go for it.

T56LS102

Established Member
It would be to actually replace my dd (fusion) I spent about $45 a week on gas, to and from work, going to the gym, running errands. but definitely good points on just paying off my current car and using it, just was kicking around the idea.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
7 miles each way? That's basically zero.

I daily drive both of the cars in my signature. My commute is 7 miles round trip. One guy in my building daily drives the following:
Porsche 918
Ferrari 812
Ferrari GTC4 (his "snow car")
Bentayga

I've never in my career seen him drive anything else.

14 miles per day of driving you should drive whatever you want. Screw a Leaf.

Machdup1

Established Member
I had one as a rental. Its a cheap little car, but a seven mile commute, it would serve its purpose. If you are doing it to save on fuel costs and/or not put miles on your fun car, right on.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
The carrying costs of a leaf as a second car will be significantly greater than the gas savings from garaging your other car during the week.

96 cobra

Established Member
Maybe consider a used prius or civic hybrid in case the commute length changes?
A used hybrid should retain more of it's value over a used plug-in.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Be careful on leafs. We have one in the shop that needs a battery. 8 grand.

cbr repsol

Established Member
When they need a battery people usually dump them.
If you must get a second car get a 03 to like 06 corolla. With like 150k miles should go for less than 5k . I have a 03 with the factory engine and trans it has 314k on it and still purrs like a kitten. Only thing that has been done is oil changes, trans fluid, brakes and a water pump. The odometer locks out at 299,999 but i use the trip meter now to record miles and write it down in a book so i dont forget. The trip meter only records to 10k.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I drive the wheels off my tacoma. 15-20k a year in mileage. Gets about 18-20 with my mixed driving. I haul shit, tow shit, and throw the dog in the back. If you do the math, the cost savings have to be well over a 100 bucks a month to make the insurance difference worth it. In my case, I'd save maybe 50 bucks a month in gas by jumping to a car that gets 30mpg versus my 20mpg. And at that point, the extra cost of insurance would wipe the gas savings out.

nxhappy

Established Member
you need a motorcycle if you are trying to save gas for a 7 mile commute

Users who are viewing this thread