LDC Cooling modification kit info

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Guys, recently there have been several threads that ask about the LDC Cooling Modification Kit. Rather than keep replying in each of these threads with the same info over and over, I'm posting the links showing you how our kit came about and why we designed it the way we did. It's a lot of reading but these threads contain a lot of info.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32628&highlight=ldc+cooling+modification+kit

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24580&highlight=ldc+cooling+modification+kit

04CobraMatt

Established Member
after browsing through those threads one comment caught my attention

""take care" of is a bit of an overstatement. The only reason there is even a line coming off pass head is to fead the heater core. After leaving the rear of the head the coolant goes right back to the pump and doesnt even hit the radiator. In the end I think it can help with the flow a bit, I sure as heck wouldnt bet my engine on it. and I wouldnt go out of my way to put it in. If you have the engine or tranny out sure, why not...it cant hurt......hehe unless you blow a hose or something."

where could I get a diagram of how the coolant flows through the engine? Im just curious for myself.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The reason for the cooling mod's existance is to allow the coolant to flow out of the driver's side head, where there is no outlet. The coolant becomes stagnant around the #7 & 8 cylinders without an escape route. This is what the kit provides, an escape route for the stagnant coolant.

SlowSVT

Established Member
After leaving the rear of the head the coolant goes right back to the pump and doesnt even hit the radiator.

CobraMatt

Thanks for weeding this one out :beer:

So that heater core discharge dumps back into the engine block. I've always "assumed" that the tube under the intake manifold went into a passage cast into the engine and discharged back into the coolant stream on the way to the crossover. Now I got a better picture on what is happening here.

Ford must be doing that to get heat into the passenger compartment faster buy not even letting that water out of the engine and never had us 400+ hp guys in mind.

New game plan. I already have the LCD cooling mod but was not planning on using it after considering the merits of the evenflow setup. Hearing this I'm keeping it in there.

LDC

Here is my thinking. I have your cylinder head coolant fittings installed per your instructions. Leave both restrictors in the heater core inlet and re-rout that feed tube to the one that intersects at a right angle on your modified fitting. Plumb the heater core outlet back into the factory tube leading to the water pump. In other word: leave the stock heater core set-up pretty much the way it was deliver from the factory. The vacuum from the water pump will still pull coolant thru the heater core and you still have the restrictors in for safety.

Now plumb the tube that exits straight from your modified RH cylinder head fitting and the dedicated LH cylinder heat fitting to a brass Y fitting and rout it to the cross over tube in the same fashion as the evenflow kit (you could run two hoses in parallel from both LH and RH outlets to the crossover but that may be overkill)

Now you have water squirting out both ends of each cylinder head which should give you more uniform cooling thought the engine and a less restrictive path.

Does that make sense? Perhaps I'm missing something here but this sounds like a bitch'N set-up. I already have the full Even system, a Fluidyne rad and a dedicated oil cooler.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
A lot of people have said this isn't really needed. I suggest they look at >> This Thread << and note all of the engines where 7 & 8 have gone south.

In my mind, that points to only 2 reasons. 1- 7 & 8 are leaner than 1 - 6.
Or 2. 7 & 8 are hotter than 1 - 6.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
LDC

Here is my thinking. I have your cylinder head coolant fittings installed per your instructions. Leave both restrictors in the heater core inlet and re-rout that feed tube to the one that intersects at a right angle on your modified fitting. Plumb the heater core outlet back into the factory tube leading to the water pump. In other word: leave the stock heater core set-up pretty much the way it was deliver from the factory. The vacuum from the water pump will still pull coolant thru the heater core and you still have the restrictors in for safety.

Now plumb the tube that exits straight from your modified RH cylinder head fitting and the dedicated LH cylinder heat fitting to a brass Y fitting and rout it to the cross over tube in the same fashion as the evenflow kit (you could run two hoses in parallel from both LH and RH outlets to the crossover but that may be overkill)

Now you have water squirting out both ends of each cylinder head which should give you more uniform cooling thought the engine and a less restrictive path.

Does that make sense? Perhaps I'm missing something here but this sounds like a bitch'N set-up. I already have the full Even system, a Fluidyne rad and a dedicated oil cooler.

I can see a couple of possible issues with the type of install you are considering:

1). The plumbing is going to be an absolute nightmare near the firewall. There is very little room to do what you want. The heater hoses are preformed and will be difficult to reroute.
2). The modification will probably disturb the flow through the heater core, with the end result being little or no heat.
3). The flow out of the passenger head could be compromised with the reconfiguration of the heater hoses.

If you feel you must improve on the original configuration, run the outlet from driver’s side fitting to the front of the engine and leave the passenger side as setup from the factory. That is only a suggestion and I don’t know that it will work any better that the way we designed it.
The objective was to move the coolant out of the driver’s side head and this is what it does.

Dana

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Will bypassing the heater core w/ the LDC setup, allow increased coolant flow out of the driver's side head??? Like Dana said.isn't the objective to get the coolant out of the head? And not to get it through the radiator as quickly as possible. The head will be receiving fresh coolant regardless. Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread