LC1 Wide band Gauge Install tips w/PICS

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Here are some pics of how I ran my wires and made a ground for my LC1 and wide band gauge. This really isn't a specific How-To. It's just to help some people that have questions on running a good ground and where to hide there LC1. This is my first attempt at anything like this so cut me some slack. I had a muffler shop weld in my bung ahead of time. Here is where mine is located.(driver side 2 o'clock)

DSC02021.jpg

First thing I did was remove my shifter bezel. I cut a small slit in the rubber shift boot and pushed the end (with the O2 sensor) through the hole.

DSC02018.jpg

The O2 sensor can then be pulled from the top of the tranny and pulled down so that you have enough slack to screw it into your bung on exhaust pipe.(You will not screw the sensor in yet because the LC1 has to be calibrated first. Just let it hang there like in my pic.)

DSC02023.jpg

I took my LC1 unit and tucked it in the shifter bezel. Just make sure you are able to shift the gears without the unit or the wires getting in the way.

DSC02019.jpg

I then ran the wires of the LC1 right down through the console.

DSC02020.jpg

Here is the way I mounted my gauge, calibration button, and LED light.

Just drilled 2 holes the size of the push button an LED and fed the wires through.

DSC02024.jpg

Next, I took the red wire from the LED and connected it to one of the black wires from the push button. I then connected them to one 5ft 18 gauge wire. This will connect to the BLACK calibration wire of the LC1.

Then I took the black wire from the LED and connected it to the other black wire of the push button. I also connected these 2 wires to another SEPARATE 18 gauge wire. This will connect to your ground(Terminal strip)

This elongates your wires and gives you the freedom to reach all of the other connections. Quick pic of the 2 wires(yellow)

DSC02025.jpg

Now to create a ground.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a Terminal strip (part #274-670) and a jumper strip (part #274-650)

Pic of Terminal strip(top) and jumper strip.
DSC02039.jpg

I also picked up a loop connector to fit a 3/8 SS bolt, 3/8 bolt, 10-13ft of ground wire.(10-18gauge), and the heat protective covering for the wire.

I ran 13 feet of ground wire through the protective sheath and soldered on the loop connector. I then pushed the loop connector through the same slit the O2 sensor went through earlier. I then pulled it through from underneath the car(on top of tranny) and pulled enough through to reach the pre threaded hole in the engine block.( It is located right next to the rear engine mount. Then I took the 3/8 bolt, put the loop connector on and screwed it into the hole.

Pics of engine ground

fed through shift boot

DSC02032.jpg

Connected to engine ground

DSC02037.jpg

What was left after I attached the ground bolt an pulled the slack up. Ignore the yellow wire. That is my ground from my other Lunar gauges.

DSC02031.jpg

I soldered a connector to the other end of the ground to attach it to the terminal strip.

Now everything is in place and ready to be wired. You can mount the terminal strip wherever you want. Some people mounted them in the shifter bezel and some under the dash. I'm going to mount mine under the dash and tuck the wires away. Just personal preference.

Follow the directions from Innovate for wiring and calibration.

Here is how I had it wired. Pics of the wiring are in Post #13. DISCLAIMER- this is how I wired it. Follow Innovate's directions.

Wired it like this:

LC1

black-to wire created from the red LED wire and black push button
blue-ground
white-ground
yellow- taped off
red-power
brown-white(gauge

gauge

white-brown(LC1)
yellow- taped off
black-ground
red-power

push button/led

black from push button-black on LED------connected these to ground
Red from LED- other black from push button-----connected to BLACK calibration wire of LC1

There are 2 different ways I saw the yellow wires that were not used delt with. I've seen them taped up or grounded. I just taped them up. If you want to be able to dim the gauge, follow the included directions. I do not want to dim the gauge.

For power, I'm pretty sure you can tap into any 12v switched source. It has to be something that powers up when you turn the key on and has consistant power but has NO power when the key is off. It also should be at the least a 10 amp This is the 03/04 fuse panel diagram. You can get an add-a-fuse a tap into the 12v power source you choose to use. I've seen people use the defroster, cig. lighter, ignition

fusepanel.jpg

Each ground wire had it's own connection soldered on to it then connected to the Terminal strip.

If I made any mistakes please let me know so I can correct them.

HUGE thanks to venom1997, Zero SVT, HASFANGS, 03cobra#694 for all the help.:beer:

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Oh man. This might be the best w/b install thread Ive seen yet. Thank you so much! Im sure this will make my install much easier

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Edit: Added fuse diagram

My fault. I'm sure I forgot something else. I'm pretty sure you can tap into any 12v switched source. It has to be something that powers up when you turn the key on and has consistant power. It also should be at the least a 10 amp This is the 03/04 fuse panel diagram. You can get an add-a-fuse a tap into the 12v power source you choose to use. I've seen people use the defroster, cig. lighter, ignition.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
How bout a pic of the finished product?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nice write-up Mike.I mounted mine control unit in the glove compartment.This way I can easily hook-up the w/b to the x-cal/laptop for datalogging.
Note:This is a DJWBC.
143.jpg

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Nice write-up Mike.I mounted mine control unit in the glove compartment.This way I can easily hook-up the w/b to the x-cal/laptop for datalogging.
Note:This is a DJWBC.
143.jpg

Great idea. I forgot to thank you also. I thought those pics looked familiar.:beer:

For those guys who need help with the terminal strip, I will add finished pics of how everything is wired when I get the WB back. I'll add them to the original thread.

zankylen

Established Member
what exactly did you use for a 12v source. I had mine hooked up to the cig fuse.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Am I to understand that despite the direct ground to the engine block, you still have/had a problem with the LC-1 module? Do you know what kind of problem it is? Please fill me in on the details...

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Am I to understand that despite the direct ground to the engine block, you still have/had a problem with the LC-1 module? Do you know what kind of problem it is? Please fill me in on the details...

I just got an email from Innovate saying my LED was no good. They sent me a new one and I should have it friday. Mine had nothing to do with the ground.

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
Some pics of the wires.

Everything labeled
DSC02061.jpg

Connected all the grounds to terminal strip.
DSC02064.jpg

Connected the 2 power wires to the add-a-fuse.
DSC02066.jpg

Connected brown to white wire
DSC02068.jpg

Black calibration wire to push button red and black LED
DSC02069.jpg

I went back and extended all my ground wires to reach my shifter bezel. I hid the terminal strip in there with the LC1.

Last edited:

MIKESTANG_SVT

Established Member
very nice man, im finishing up my install today i havent got a chance to really get to it lol. Very good write up on it.:beer:

Good luck with it.:beer: Wasn't so bad the second time around. I ended up having a bad LED. I 'm pretty sure I blew it out when I hooked it up to power-lol. Innovate fixed it at no cost and shipped it back for free. Works great so far. I actually went back and extended my ground wires to reach the shifter bezel. I hid my terminal strip in there with the LC1.

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I'm working on getting mine installed. I'm a bit unclear though on how to hook it up to the ECU. I'm going to use the brown wire, but where do I hook it up exactly?

I'm not running a gauge but I want to be able to data log and monitor through obd.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I'm working on getting mine installed. I'm a bit unclear though on how to hook it up to the ECU. I'm going to use the brown wire, but where do I hook it up exactly?

I'm not running a gauge but I want to be able to data log and monitor through obd.
Are you planning on datalogging with a handheld tuner line an Xcal?

Users who are viewing this thread