Lawyers/Attorneys --> PLEASE COME IN!

airjon23

Established Member
SVTP lawyers and/or attorneys...I need your input!

I recently filed a small (civil) claim against an Indiana-based company. That particular company has, in turn, requested a contested hearing due to complete denial of my claim. The paperwork that I received indicates that they will be represented by (2) lawyers. What would a judge think if I represented myself? I'm about 99% confident that this company never saw my claim coming...I've got tons and tons of factual documentation to support my claim and I don't think that they have anything. Should I give it a try? What is the worst case scenario for me?

Thanks for your help!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
SVTP lawyers and/or attorneys...I need your input!

I recently filed a small (civil) claim against an Indiana-based company. That particular company has, in turn, requested a contested hearing due to complete denial of my claim. The paperwork that I received indicates that they will be represented by (2) lawyers. What would a judge think if I represented myself? I'm about 99% confident that this company never saw my claim coming...I've got tons and tons of factual documentation to support my claim and I don't think that they have anything. Should I give it a try? What is the worst case scenario for me?

Thanks for your help!

That is the point of small claims court, the fact that the parties can go "pro se." In that instance the judge will likely be lenient and give you advice and some help. Did the attorney's say they were contesting the claim or were they contesting jurisdiction in that court?

Bring your documents and anything else related to the matter no matter how insignificant. For instance, bank records, checks, receipts, broucheres, any written documentation, etc.

airjon23

Established Member
That is the point of small claims court, the fact that the parties can go "pro se." In that instance the judge will likely be lenient and give you advice and some help. Did the attorney's say they were contesting the claim or were they contesting jurisdiction in that court?

Bring your documents and anything else related to the matter no matter how insignificant. For instance, bank records, checks, receipts, broucheres, any written documentation, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the defendant's attorneys wrote a letter to the court to contest the claim. Assuming the court grants their request, the non-contested small claim will be turned-over to a contested hearing. I know that I would have been on my own in small claims...I'm just not sure how the judge will receive me if I show up with being represented.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the defendant's attorneys wrote a letter to the court to contest the claim. Assuming the court grants their request, the non-contested small claim will be turned-over to a contested hearing. I know that I would have been on my own in small claims...I'm just not sure how the judge will receive me if I show up with being represented.

Again that is the point of small claims court, that a plaintiff can represent themselves ("pro se"). They reason they have attornies is because they are an out of state corporation.

Users who are viewing this thread