Laws regarding Volunteer Firefighters (and their vehicles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Couple questions. Are volunteer firefighters allowed to break the speed limit when they are on call to the station in their own personal vehicle?

And when they have their red and white lights flashing (wherever they may be placed) is it other motorists responsibility to pull over?

I have a feeling I know the answer to these questions but I want to make sure before I go forth in a dispute. Simply put, I was nearly run off the road by a volunteer firefighter this weekend, he was doing in excess of 50 mph in a 25. When he got behind me I was on a 2 lane road with sidewalks on both sides. He had his red and whites on and was flashing his headlights as soon as he got behind me (I admit even I was doing at least 10 over the speed limit when he caught up to me.) He then swerved over the double yellow line and sped past me as we were approaching a blind hill/turn. I did not call the police, I was not sure who was in the right. But now I have come to be in a feud with this person as he has sought out my vehicle and now is threatening to do physical harm to me and my belongings. I know this alone makes him in the wrong, I'm merely looking for more ammo before I start a war. Non physical type of course.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The laws do vary from state to state and department to department but what he did is simply uncalled for. When I was on a department back home there were a few members removed because they could not maintain a safe speed when responding to a call.

Legally in my state you cannot exceed the posted speed limit when responding. There are times when it may be called for, but putting others in danger to respond to a call is simply uncalled for and should be brought to their chief's attention.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
1.) All Emergency Vehicles should be operated with Due Regard. (Google it)
2.) All Emergency Vehicles are requesting the right of way, they are not entitled to it.

If you feel the driver was not doing one or both of those, I would suggest filing a complaint. I love Hose Draggers to death, as they are the ones that are going to pull my sorry hide out of a burning/wrecked squad, but sometimes they get a little to amp'd up for the "smell of smoke" calls.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Thank you very much for two well educated and respectful answers. I too fully support any fire, ems or leo personnel to the fullest, 99% of those that do these jobs are of the highest caliber and in my mind, above reproach. Any ambulance, fire truck etc. that comes up behind me with lights flashing I will gladly move over. But something about it being his personal vehicle, and doing what he did so blatantly and in broad day light really ticked me off. There may be no real legal action to take against this guy, I cannot prove anything, nor can he. I also just found out he is a former state trooper. I just want to know that I am not in the wrong if anything were to come of this.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Florida's laws may be different than yours, but are most likely similar. As stated above the lights and siren for emergency vehicles are a "request" for the right of way. Volunteer firefighters here are not allowed to violate any traffic laws in their POVs. They are allowed the lights in the hope that other drivers will give them a bit more courtesy. There were a few here that used to blow lights and stop signs with less regard than LEOs who where responding code.

After few high dollar tickets and explanations from the judge it seems to have stopped.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
We ARE allowed to break speed limits/run red lights/stop signs here in Texas, BUT, you have to do all of the above with due regard as Lawfficer said. Check out PolicePosers.com for state to state lighting laws as well.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
My suggestion is to cool off and let it go. But, if he is making threats and you want to go forward then file a report.
Also, if he confronts you, you may want to wear a recorder. Those things are cheap and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread