Launching an 03/04 Cobra with IRS

Svt03Cobra

Wanna Race?
Established Member
StangJason said:
I dunno whatever will pull the best 60ft tires..oh and I have street tires (ZRi something)

Get Drag or ET M/T's and launch about 4000-5000 rpm.

silvercoffin

Established Member

WIth a snubber, level 2 shafts, QA1s and an IRS brace I start to feather the clutch and as soon as I start moving a bit I dump it.. I start at 4000rpm...but im not running stock numbers...

When I was running stock sus and 435 hp to the wheels I would feather it from 4000 and was cutting 1.75 60ft times but once I started running 470+hp top the wheels that was no longer possible!

silvercoffin

Established Member

I didnt just pop the clutch at 4000 and even now I feather it slightly. but very slightly since the addition of the rear end components.

Depends on where you race too

I trailered my car all he way to Island Raceway this past friday because etown and atco here in NJ were both closed and couldnt hook at all driving that way. I ended up having to soften my shocks from 7-8 down to 4 and launch around 3000 to get a whopping 1.75 60ft... I dont think they prep that track at all. They use a pro tree too...on street night. Im sure that didnt help my launches. I finally just ignored the tree on my last run.

04svtsnake

bs stops when green drops
Established Member
4000 rpm sounds good to me, i launched my terminator at 2500 rpm on bfg dr's and ran 12.1 @119 with a 1.9 60ft (bogging like hell) i was scared of breaking my axles!!!!
i should not of been because i work for ford, and they would of been covered under warranty but the service mangr. at the time was a di#@!!!!

micksnip

Established Member
launch or lunch?

I'm on my 2nd cobra, and without the diff brace, Level 2 or 5 DSS halfshafts, the QA1 (or whatever) adjustable shocks, and DRs, I would say you are at risk of either breakage or wheelhop leading to possible breakage. If you hop, let off asap. In the absence of all the aforementioned stuff, I just came off the line at idle-1800, then stabbed it OR if you don't have hop regularly, just take it up to 3 or so, and let out the clutch till it begins to grab then feather the gas as you let off the clutch. Finally, I heard this from someone familiar with breakage, and he, in order to avoid driveline shock, puts on the emergency brake, use it like a line loc, let the clutch out and gas on till you're pushing against the emergency brake, then at the last yellow, release the em. brake while letting out the clutch and pedaling the gas. DRs flex, thus preventing driveline shock, and shock (and hop) and awwwww! are your enemies. The AWWWW!!! is the sound from your mouth if you lunch a halfshaft or diff, thus the diff brace/cover is also a good strategy as it prevents everything from moving around, no matter what else you have. Micksnip.

Users who are viewing this thread