Launching a MT-82 on dragradials..

toomnymods

Established Member
I know this is highly a contested area, some have gotten by with it and some havent.. I've recently bought some Mickey Thompson Et street radial 2's 305/35/20's for my street tires and I'm In love with them!! God they are like glue on the street. I also have welds with hoosier slicks for the track. But as some of you know swapping tires AND trying to get someone to haul your slicks and skinnies to the track just so you can race is a huge problem. Anyways back to the topic at hand.. With welded axle tubes and BMR suspension on the rear how high do people launch with drag radials? I was figuring 2500-3000? probably going to bog bad out of the hole, so Would it be better to just launch off of idle and floor it?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I'm leaving at 4900 rpm with a nitto 555r, just ride the clutch out on the launch.

SCalla1384

Established Member
As long as you're not dumping the clutch, drag radials will not break anything.

When I was on NT555Rs, I would slip the piss out of the clutch around 4500-5000rpm. And I was getting mid 1.7x 60' on stock suspension. Then I added a twin disc clutch, and there was no slipping point, it just bit hard so I had to go with slicks.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
As long as you're not dumping the clutch, drag radials will not break anything.

When I was on NT555Rs, I would slip the piss out of the clutch around 4500-5000rpm. And I was getting mid 1.7x 60' on stock suspension. Then I added a twin disc clutch, and there was no slipping point, it just bit hard so I had to go with slicks.

I was afraid of that when switching to the RXT that sucks.

Same thing with me I just slip for 1/2 a second or so while the stock suspension squats and then let it all out. 1.8's on my 305/35 18 MT ET II and with my 275/60/15 I slip and go and on a good run low 1.7's.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I was afraid of that when switching to the RXT that sucks.

Same thing with me I just slip for 1/2 a second or so while the stock suspension squats and then let it all out. 1.8's on my 305/35 18 MT ET II and with my 275/60/15 I slip and go and on a good run low 1.7's.

Yeah I tried and tried, but on the rxt it basically just grabs, and you're essentially dumping the clutch. Although it's weird, on slicks I can somewhat slip it. I think the length of the burnout effects how the clutch acts. I noticed on the street, I can slip the piss out of it, but at the track, after a burnout not so much.

Justin81

Established Member
IMickey Thompson Et street radial 2's 305/35/20's

I have the exact same tires. Here is my only experience with them. They hook retarded on the street. Zero wheel spin.

I took them to the track and only got 2 runs. The first one I left at 3500-3800 and it bogged 100% down. It was a aborted run it was so bad. The second run I left at like 5000-5200 and slid the clutch out. It hooked so hard my hand was on the shifter and I pulled the car into neutral because I flew back into the seat. When I got back around my buddies said they saw the car dead hook and pull the front up and though I broke the rear because the car flew into neutral. I'm sure it would have been in the 1.6's no problem.

For the record. I have Koni Adjustables, Ford K-Springs, Billet Delran Lowers with adjustbale uppers and supporting Panhard stuff as well. I wen't 1.71 60ft on 275-60-15's in the spring. These tires hooked way harder. I can't wait to run it again.

06Bluerex

Established Member
I know this is highly a contested area, some have gotten by with it and some havent.. I've recently bought some Mickey Thompson Et street radial 2's 305/35/20's for my street tires and I'm In love with them!! God they are like glue on the street. I also have welds with hoosier slicks for the track. But as some of you know swapping tires AND trying to get someone to haul your slicks and skinnies to the track just so you can race is a huge problem. Anyways back to the topic at hand.. With welded axle tubes and BMR suspension on the rear how high do people launch with drag radials? I was figuring 2500-3000? probably going to bog bad out of the hole, so Would it be better to just launch off of idle and floor it?
sorry to go off topic but how are they driving on street? recommend them as daily tire? i was looking at getting the same tires but im not sure how long they will last.

Justin81

Established Member
They ride great on the street. I only put about 2-300 miles on mine so far but they are a great tire. I never do burnouts with them or spin them on the street. I'd be afraid of breaking something in the car.

I had the M/T E.T radial 275-60 on 15 inch wheels and they were scary in the rain. They would come loose at 50 in 4th gear like they were on ice. These do not spin at all in the rain. I tried it and had to give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in 2nd gear for them to spin in the rain.

toomnymods

Established Member
I can't comment on how they'd handle in the rain as I never intend to drive in the rain. My stang is only driven usually on the weekends on clear sunny days. But so far they have gripped every time I have laid the hammer down, lol I have right at 430rwhp and 400tq. I know it's not a lot compared to most on here but I wanted to get some good sticky dragradials for the street before I put twins on it. Hopefully in 3 months I should be adding about 240 more rwhp to the beast :)

pickles

Established Member
I launch around 5000-5500 letting the clutch out quickly but softly to allow some slip. 1.53 60' ft's on m/t radials (not pros), stock clutch. Just take some seat time to figure it out

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I launch around 5000-5500 letting the clutch out quickly but softly to allow some slip. 1.53 60' ft's on m/t radials (not pros), stock clutch. Just take some seat time to figure it out

You prove a good point... The clutch is a tuning tool. Too much clutch is a bad thing. You should only run as much clutch as you need and it should slip on the launch a little. It's better to go thru a clutch every summer then to brake a tranny or rear end. Too much clutch is an On/Off switch and makes it hard to drive.

Looks like Pickles has it figured out!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I'm running 315/35/20 NTO5R's and have only been to the track twice. Best 60' was 1.9 and I was launching at 3k. Gonna have to try upping the rpm range and slipping the clutch faster.

mhyjek

Established Member
I have Nitto NT05r's 305/35/19 with 630 whp via paxton with tremec swap 2.66 1st 4.10 rear and spec twindisc. Best 60 ft is 1.70 average around 1.9 1st track outing last week. Car either bogs or close to bogs at 4000 rpm trying to slip clutch but not easy with twindisc. More seat time will tell on the street love the radials great for 2nd gear rolls before had 555's and in 2nd would hook from punch but hit 5500 tires where toast now car hooks and rockets. Have to time my 60-120 time but before was like 7.9 starting from third now can start from second I can reach 80 in second so looking forward to lower splits.

Big Q

Established Member
To the OP, what are you running on the fronts with these on your DD. I'm considering these with 255/35/20 MT street comps in the front for double duty.

Users who are viewing this thread