Launches

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
At what RPM's do you guys drop the clutch when you are racing at the track? I want to know because i dont want to waste any time spinning the wheels and not going anywhere.
Thanks
Andrew

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Wow I cant drop any higher than 2800 with DR's at my local track (Fontana-California Speedway) and typically get 2.1 with a couple high 1.90' after some VHT was sprayed down, track prep is the key. I think anyone that has been to Fontana will attest to that.

Went to Irwindale Speedway and was able to rip off beter 60 foot times dropping at 3300-3500 so I guess it reall depends on the track and conditions.

Alex

VNMHISS

Established Member
Yep, I can atest to that. Can't dump the clutch at Cali more than 3000. All you'll do is spin,no matter how long you heat up the Nitto's. It's all about track prep,start low and slowly work your way up until you find that fine line between bog/spin. Also PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE. :burnout:

SVTMUST97

Established Member
I launch my car around 3500-4000 rpm with a set of Nitto DR. 1.8 -2.0 for e.t. Eric 97

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
when i first took my car to the track i was launching at bot 4-5 g but i asked around like ur doing and i started launching at little above idle bout 1800 sounds right and my 60 ft times dropped from 2.4-2.5 to 2.1 so it help alot...i havent ran wit slicks though ...not yet =0]

TurboEclipseGSX

Non Ricer
Established Member
even though i dont drive a mustang, ive been told i can launch like crazy :D

what i do in my friends z28, ill usually give the tires a little spin, go up to our little race spot (ya i street race sometimes, cry about it all you want :p ) i brought the rpms to about 1800, and slipped the clutch, it was a good launch cause i barely spinned, btw just incase you dont know, slipping the clutch is basically when you let the clutch out slowly till you feel the tires catch than you let it out all the way, kind of like the way you shift gears regurarly (unless your an auto)

Peter

Established Member
On my DR's I heat them up to where smoke just
starts to come off. I use my 2-step Msd-4 to
go out at 3000. My best run last summer was
11.7 @116., 60 ft about 1.8.

Peter

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Just a thought most of the guys that answered were in 4v cobras, you got the mighty 5.0 under hood, which makes much more tq down low, so launch rpm might be lower than a 4v. Slip the clutch, don't worry if you spin a little, spinin and movin is better than bogging it, or leavin at a lower rpm. Eventually you'll learn where you car like to leave at.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
E. Green thanks for pointing that out. i was wondering how people could slip the clutch at such a high RPM because i know when i slip it from those RPM's, i dont go anywhere.

TLush

Established Member
If you run street tires at the strip remember do not get the tires in the water, drive around and then heat em up.

Users who are viewing this thread