Launch, track tips for 4.30's, DR's, and T-56

99ElectricCobra

2003 Cobra #1609
Established Member
Allright, anyone got tips for me how to launch etc. with 4.30's, 245/40-18 BFG DR's and 6-speed. Don't want to bust axles...... What RPM can I safely launch at?

Last edited:

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
Hello Mike,

Well I think your t-56 has a mid 2 series first gear (2.66) :shrug: , taking that into consideration along with your 4.30 gear, I would start around 2500 rpm's and see what happens. If it bogs, up the rpm by 500-1000 rpm's until it starts to spin then back your launch rpm down. Some cars like to have some spin out of the hole, it keeps the rpm's up and more often than not they'll hook up mid-top of 1st gear. Make sure you get the BFG's hot, roll through the water until your back tires are in front of the water box, and heat em until you see smoke around, 2-4 seconds, then you are ready. Also lower your pressure to around 13 psi, keep and eye on how the slick cars are doing that'll give you and idea on how your car is going to hook, and if you can, get in the slick lane. Good Luck man :coolman:

James

98powerstang

Established Member
How about launching with stock gears, 315/35/17 street radials and a 5spd. I am worried about wheel hopping and blowing out the rear axle.

Qtr milerocket

The Human Calculator
Established Member
Hello Zach,

Well if you've got the stock gears you'll probably bog off of the line, concentrate on not letting it spin violently out of the hole, hence the dreaded wheelhop you are afraid of.

Since you've got monster gumballs in the back, if they are "street tires" and not drag radials try launching around 2500 rpm's depending upon how the other racer's are hooking, adjust your launch rpm until you can leave with a hint of wheelspin (not a lot), some wheelspin is good in these cars, a lot is not good and can again lead to wheelhop, learn to control the wheelspin with your throttle foot, it helps also to have good shoes with a thin sole so you can "feel" it hook or spin.

Other than that, that's about all I can think of for right now good luck :coolman:

James

lthlsnake

U like spike strips? I do
Established Member
99ElectricCobra said:
Allright, anyone got tips for me how to launch etc. with 4.30's, 245/40-18 BFG DR's and 6-speed. Don't want to bust axles...... What RPM can I safely launch at?
Mike do a good burn out, launch around 2500 or 3000 slip the clutch out a lil bit and POWERSHIFT!

Users who are viewing this thread