Last unmolested 03?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good eyes noticing the replaced battery and missing terminal cover. Serious question. Would the factory battery have survived 19 years on a trickle charger?

4.698gt

Established Member
@CobraBob I don't think so but could always break the seal on the battery, drain and refill with fresh acid assuming no internal corrosion of the lead.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Good eyes noticing the replaced battery and missing terminal cover. Serious question. Would the factory battery have survived 19 years on a trickle charger?
Mine is still holding a charge. Its shelved, just took it out of service last year. Picked up a fresh Motorcraft.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@CobraBob I don't think so but could always break the seal on the battery, drain and refill with fresh acid assuming no internal corrosion of the lead.
Mine is still holding a charge. Its shelved, just took it out of service last year. Picked up a fresh Motorcraft.
I asked because it would seem that the original factory battery on an unmolested Terminator like this would be important to many/most interested buyers.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
He’s funny but his Termi hate is off putting. Overall, he’s someone I can watch maybe once a week lol I prefer his project updates over his livestreams.

If they didn't have the resale value they have, would ANYONE drive one?

I know I wouldn't lol

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
palpatine.jpeg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I would drive one. The values are keeping me out of one because they are so inflated.

I think we all "would drive" one -- on occasion.

However, it's silly to argue their original merit as a weekend toy/muscle car bruiser when there are literally countless better options for the money out there today.

I think that's the point YDBT is making.

But whatever... to each his own!

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I think we all "would drive" one -- on occasion.

However, it's silly to argue their original merit as a weekend toy/muscle car bruiser when there are literally countless better options for the money out there today.

I think that's the point YDBT is making.

But whatever... to each his own!
That was the appeal of the terminator. Good power for the money, but like you said I’m sure there are many other options with the way today’s market is for them. I am a new edge guy and I finally was able to buy one back in the day and then sold it to get the family ride for my wife.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember back in the day driving my '03 Cobra from CT to PA, CT to NH/ME, CT to NJ without blinking an eye. My longest trips were around 7 hours round trip. So nothing multiple days. Would I do that today in an '03 or '04 Cobra? No way. It would ruin my body for one thing, and I'd be paranoid that something might fail during the trip. These are 19-20 year old cars now. Expensive, too, as we all know. I agree that there are better options for the dollars spent. For a shorter mile weekend bruiser, no problem, IF you already have one. Buying one with the market where it is and where it might be going, that should demand some serious thought and consideration. JMO.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
there is almost always, “a better option.” But what option exactly someone is looking for is relevant. If someone is looking for a track car, yes there are much better options. But I think a lot of people buy Terminators and drive them for what they were, not so much what they are today compared to newer cars. The option they are looking for may be nastalgia, to which there are fewer other options.

LS WUT

Established Member
there is almost always, “a better option.” But what option exactly someone is looking for is relevant. If someone is looking for a track car, yes there are much better options. But I think a lot of people buy Terminators and drive them for what they were, not so much what they are today compared to newer cars. The option they are looking for may be nastalgia, to which there are fewer other options.
I’m with Todd on this one. I’ve mentioned in a few other posts. I think it’s all about what someone wants out of a car. I can assure you that they still hold their own in the streets for me. I’ve got a few cars I change out during the week. @gimmie11s i agree with you. The bang for your buck a base model, cloth seat 18+ GT with the A10 is a ripper for what? $35k-$38k these days? It’s similar to those of whom who buy all original 1969 Mustang for $130k. They’re not fast, don’t have good brakes, hell even power steering is fun in those old baddies. People have a purpose for why they have certain cars. I think what we often get into is we hold the cobras high because to us they were the hellcats of their day. Back in 03 they were the cats pajamas. In todays standards eco boost mustangs come out with 300+ from the factory. I enjoy driving my 88 foxbody coupe the most, it’s more fun for me to drive something slow fast, than something fast slow. In its current state it’s just an old school rebuilt 302. No major mods, nothing. She sounds great, and shifts smooth. He’s got some good points, and some points i shrug at. Like pops always said. Opinions are like Assholes, everyone’s got one.

Users who are viewing this thread