Last-ever Firebird "Mondo" track day in Phoenix 9/29

MFE

Established Member
Once a year for a few years now ProAutosports has worked with Bondurant to put on an event that ties the Bondurant school track into "Firebird" Main track, for one, long, extremely fun track. However, one of the consequences of the improvements being made to Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park is the "Main" road course is going away. It uses the drag strip as its main straight, and they're going to do away with it when they make the drag strip improvements this fall. And frankly Bondurant's school course is never open to the public anyway.

That means that Sunday September 29 is the last time any of us will ever be able to drive the so-called "Mondo" configuration. It's by far the best track in the valley that doesn't have sound restrictions like Arizona Motorsports Park does. And the Bondurant track even has some elevation changes, unlike anything else in the valley.

So, if you ever even thought about taking your car on a road course, now's the time to do it. There's instruction for n00bs, and you don't need a race car. Tires and brakes in good shape, fresh brake fluid, preferably a Snell 2000 or newer helmet so you don't need a loaner, and you're good to go.

ProAutoSports Home Page

Here's a taste of what it looks like from last year

[youtube_browser]fvONvZ1OuSg[/youtube_browser]

5.0GT

Established Member
Saturday is the last day of the early birds discount, get on this track is insane!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
This is awesome! I may be interested in this! I got to ride as co pilot on the Inde Motor sports track and have fallen in love with this type of driving.

5.0GT

Established Member
driving is totally different experience. If you haven't signed up call them, they might cut you a break on the discount.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Javi - do it! I will be driving with another friend of mine whose car is down currently.

MFE

Established Member
They're swamped with drivers so I'll be there on Sunday helping out instructing in at least some capacity and driving in the Green group. Anybody looking for a ride-along come and find me. Not sure where I'll be paddocked, but there's a chance there will be an almost identical twin of my car there. What are the odds that of the 170-something Calypso Green 5-speed 5.0 notchbacks made in '92, two of them run on tracks in Phoenix 21 years later. Mine is the one with the hood vent, a Ranger air dam, and no tailpipes.

MFE

Established Member
Here's some video. Between old NT01's and experimenting with more rear brake bias, plus my penchant for trail-braking, the ****in' car was LOOSE. Here's some quick cuts and then a full lap behind a C5 corvette plus parts of a few more behind a Porsche and an STi.

Also, nevermind the bendy A-pillars, that's what Youtube's shaky-video fix did to it.

[youtube_browser]NOSA8_CAHTk[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread