Lash adjuster failure

Dave M

Established Member
Hey all, I have a 2012 GT, FBO E85, 54k miles, and a few weeks back I stopped at an intersection and the car stumbled then started making an obnoxious clapping noise so I shut it off and towed it home.

I eventually thought it was a rod bearing so I pulled the oil filter and cut it open, no metal. Next I pulled the drivers side cam cover and found the #1 cam follower turned sideways (pic attached). I popped it back on and still had compression in that cylinder, so thinking it was a freak accident I popped the follower back into place, fired it back up and the noise is still there loud as hell.

Anyone ever see this on a Coyote before? I can't find anything on the web for the Coyote, seen plenty of 4.6/5.4 issues like this, and I don't know where to go next. Is it possible the lash adjuster crapped the bed, is that a thing with these? I figure before I drop $1,400 bucks on new adjusters, followers, and timing components I'd see if anyone else has experienced this, otherwise guess I'll cut my losses and go look for a Gen 2 long block.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0396 2.JPG
    IMG_0396 2.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 105

Users who are viewing this thread