Laser Red Re-paint

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Morning! I have a 96 Cobra in E9 Laser Red that is in need of a repaint. Does anyone have any experience with any SoCal shops, or around the area, that have painted this color that they’d recommend? I did some research and looks like the three stage paint was the original method and now there appears to be a two stage method. Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

big dad

Established Member
I believe after looking at a color chart that Redefire is so close to Laser Red that the difference is negligable. I have a 68 Chevy II that I was going to paint Laser Red, in fact some of the parts (engine, sub-frame, and dash) have already be painted that color and now I have decided to go with Redfire which is the color of my 03 Cobra and is only a 2 stage or can be a single stage paint. Alot less expensive than a tri-coat.

With Laser Red the darkness of the color depends on how many coats of tinted clear
you apply. Hope this helps you make a decision.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I believe after looking at a color chart that Redefire is so close to Laser Red that the difference is negligable. I have a 68 Chevy II that I was going to paint Laser Red, in fact some of the parts (engine, sub-frame, and dash) have already be painted that color and now I have decided to go with Redfire which is the color of my 03 Cobra and is only a 2 stage or can be a single stage paint. Alot less expensive than a tri-coat.

With Laser Red the darkness of the color depends on how many coats of tinted clear
you apply. Hope this helps you make a decision.

I appreciate your response. Good point. I have not had the chance to look at both colors side by side. Initially, I was thinking of doing the vehicle RedFire, but wasn’t sure if the difference in color in the unpainted areas such as the engine bay was going to be significant.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Keep it Laser Red, and find a shop that does the 3 stage. I had a friend havr his repainted in 2 stage about 10 years ago. It was a totally different color. Much darker, and not much metallic to it.
Laser Red is a really nice color when its cared for.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Morning! I have a 96 Cobra in E9 Laser Red that is in need of a repaint. Does anyone have any experience with any SoCal shops, or around the area, that have painted this color that they’d recommend? I did some research and looks like the three stage paint was the original method and now there appears to be a two stage method. Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

where are you located?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I am in the South L.A. area but would consider a good drive where they can do a good job painting it.

i took my gt500 to these guys. after a prior bad experience at a body shop i searched earnestly for one that did custom work and had great reviews. theyd id a stellar job on my car. total pita for me to take my car there but it was worth it and would do it again. its a typical body shop but if its an oem paint job then it wont be an issue. and they will take care of your car. that was probably 5-6 years ago and the paint work they did is still holding up flawlessly. i had them do a little custom paint work (painting black plastic parts on the car) along with some paint correction.
Home - Moises Auto Body & Paint

a loooong time ago i had a honda custom painted in ford laser red, along with custom pearls mixed in. had it done at this shop in thousand oaks. they do real custom paint work. $$ but they can handle anything you throw at them im sure.
The Paintin Place | Auto Body Shop

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
i took my gt500 to these guys. after a prior bad experience at a body shop i searched earnestly for one that did custom work and had great reviews. theyd id a stellar job on my car. total pita for me to take my car there but it was worth it and would do it again. its a typical body shop but if its an oem paint job then it wont be an issue. and they will take care of your car. that was probably 5-6 years ago and the paint work they did is still holding up flawlessly. i had them do a little custom paint work (painting black plastic parts on the car) along with some paint correction.
Home - Moises Auto Body & Paint

a loooong time ago i had a honda custom painted in ford laser red, along with custom pearls mixed in. had it done at this shop in thousand oaks. they do real custom paint work. $$ but they can handle anything you throw at them im sure.
The Paintin Place | Auto Body Shop

Thanks! I’ll definitely swing by there. What did it cost you to get the paint work for each car if you don’t mind me asking.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks! I’ll definitely swing by there. What did it cost you to get the paint work for each car if you don’t mind me asking.

not too sure on the gt500. it was some custom work i wanted done plus a new bumper with paint and blending. something like $1500. dont recall, insurance was involved i had some out of pocket for the extras.

the custom paint work in TO, that was a custom repaint, entire car. 3 stage paint job. was like $3000 maybe. and that was 25 years ago lmao! holy shit. *sigh*

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
My 2000 GT was laser red. (3rd V8)
My wife's Cobra was Redfire.
There is a big difference

Ya and your in california, the EPA upcharge of painting and all that has got to be stupid. Go out to Vegas and get some prices

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm starting to look around for getting my mystichrome repainted. I have a local shop that can handle it, but it would be major money with them. I think I'm going to find a place out of state to do it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm starting to look around for getting my mystichrome repainted. I have a local shop that can handle it, but it would be major money with them. I think I'm going to find a place out of state to do it.
Maybe you should have a friend who knows how to spray Mystichrome help you in your garage some time lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread