LACR today Wed 07/23/03

stang99

We rented LACR from 10-2 today and it was hotter than Hell out there from the get go. FiveOhDean ran a 12.20 and I ran [email protected]; [email protected]; and [email protected]. As the day progressed and it got hotter and hotter, I went slower each run. Heat is the enemy when it comes to drag racing. The 112.70 was my best trap at LACR ever, but the ET was off from my best. I did get a 1.996 60' time on one run on my old bald OEM F1's with over 26000 miles on them, so the track prep was OK. We were having a gentlemen's bet for the best reaction time of the day. I cut a .508 light and was counting my money. But, I came in second to a 10.5 sec automatic 550 inch Mustang drag car who cut a .502 light and took the cash. I lost by .006 sec.
Tonight at Wednesday grudge night the tower lane should hook the best since we paid to have the track prepped out past 660', and it was still sticky when we left at 2 pm. I was still spinning until third, but it was much better than grudge nights.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
When is the next outing, Tetge? James Walker mentioned the 15-man rental @ the beach cruise. I know you are going to show your eccentric self @ the next SoCal Terminator cruise, right =>) ? I am sure more than a few of us may be interested in chipping in for a nicely prepped track.

stang99

I am not sure when they will do the track thing again. We were all asking for an 8 am start instead of the 10 am start as it gets really hot in July in the Mojave Desert. The "organizer" said that Bernie. the owner of LACR, would give a better rate for 20 cars, but it would have to be pay in advance. We all paid $120 each for today's action since some cars did not show, so it was not cheap. The track was basically sitting there from 10-2 and we could just drive up and run whenever we wanted to. The trouble was that it was so hot that it was impossible to get a really good time. The track was prepped good, I'll say that, although my worn F1's were spinning. Those with tires were hooking big time. I had to take off work for today's event which added to my cost because the event was during a week day. FiveOhDean is connected to the "organizer" so you should PM him if you are interested in being considered for future events. It was an interesting experience to have a track rented all for ourselves, that's for sure.
Walker was there too with his vert.
As for cruises, the last one was down in Orange County. If you had been meeting somewhere early in the morning and cruising to Carlsbad for some racing, I might have dragged myself out to do the ride. But, it would have been many miles and a long day. Cruising to a drag strip for some racing is cool. I'd almost consider a cruise to Sacramento, although I never speed so I could not keep up with you guys on the open highway...

stang99

He is correct. I am eccentric (remember the unposts?). But, I just checked your sig and it contains a big mistake. Blue may be the second fastest color after white. You see, white is stealthy and clean and slides through the air just that much better than any other color. Plus, it refects the heat better and it is not weighted down by all that heavy hot air. I personally really like white Mustang Cobras. But I would have taken a white one anyway, since they are the fastest. You just forgot that there was a faster color than blue.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
hahaha! Pot. Black.:lol1: ;-)

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
When is the next outing, Tetge? James Walker mentioned the 15-man rental @ the beach cruise. I know you are going to show your eccentric self @ the next SoCal Terminator cruise, right =>) ? I am sure more than a few of us may be interested in chipping in for a nicely prepped track.

The organizer is trying for 'every two months'. He plans to use a 'last folks to participate get first call for next run' technique and then let us open it up.

The changes we all proposed were:
1. As Tetge said, 8:00 am start -- it was hotter than Hades by 10:30 am when we finally smoked them off.
2. 20 cars (not 15) it lowers the price a little and cuts down on the dead time. With the friggin heat, there was a ton of dead time while folks were cooling down. Fiveohdean has his chiller in the trunk, and if I plan to keep torturing my car at LACR I may go that route. That solves the heat problem.

Maybe the way to solve the LACR altitude problem is a 'teeny weeny shot of Nitrous' -- just to compensate for the altitude of course. Nothing serious, like those low end systems that are being advertised.
As I said on another post, we experimented a bunch since the track was wide open and punished the pony for about 21+ runs.
A 'quantity not quality' experience. But we learned some schtuff. Like the meaning of heat sink ha ha
JW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread