kumho xs vs falken azenis rt-615

csc427

Established Member
i'm currently running the falkens on my 04 cobra now. car makes 510/500 to the tires and traction is hard to come by. i drive in the rain on a limited basis only if i get caught out in it. the falkens work great in the rain but i feel like they could be better in the dry. would like to be able to hook up at least from 2nd gear. i'm running 315/30/18 in the rear on black chrome fr500's, 10 in wide. fitment is perfect. would the kumho xs work better for me in the dry and at least provide close wet performance? sorry for the long post

csc427

Established Member
the falkens have been good so far. very good cornering and stable in the rain. i'm not at all aggresive in the rain but i take a lot of road trips and will get caught out in the rain occassionally. i feel comfortable driving around 75-80 on the highway with them at this power level. just feel like there is something more to be had at the stoplight so to speak, or maybe not at this power level.

Jroc

Established Member
need them in 315/30/18.

x2.

Falkens Azenis RT615's > Nitto NT05's.

But yes the Falkens don't hook up power great, but they do handle very well.

If you have the money for it I would try some Michelin PS2's. I have no experiance with them, but I have heard that they actually hook up power pretty good for a street tire, and Michelin makes some of the best tires on the market, plus they come in all those bastard sizes that no one else makes.

Last edited:

csc427

Established Member
my brother is actually running the ps2 on his 04 right now. same power, they hook well, not sure that they are much better, if at all, than the falkens.

Tractionless1

Established Member
PS2's hook well? Not in 4th on highway on-ramps at 519/567!!! Damn things were all over the place!! Forget 1st through 3rd, I'd sit there and spin for days.

At 315/30/18 you don't have much sidewall to work with therefore just about any tire is going to give you a PITA tractionwise. Your only hope is to go to a drag radial, or put 16's on there with a larger sidewall for a street radial.

csc427

Established Member
drove the car to greensboro nc (foriegn cars italia, great place btw) over the weekend to try out some cars/exotics. car salesman wanted to ride in my car so i took him for a ride. temps in the 80's, and the car hooked great in 2nd gear. best it has felt. i guess 8 straight months of cold wv weather has got my opinion of these tires a little skewed. may keep them after all.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
need them in 315/30/18.

I have the Kumho XS in that size on my '98. Had them for about a month now and they are awesome. With a T-trim, my power doesn't come on until the top end so that was when the tires would usually break loose with my NT555RII's. These Kumhos can usually hold my power in 2nd on the street, depending on conditions. Definitely a sticky tire though, good going straight or around corners so far, also in the wet.

Took the car to the track last week and ran it right off the street. Tires had 26 psi in them and I cut a 1.85 60ft. I'd say that's pretty sticky. They only broke loose once in 4 runs and it was at the top of first.

Can't wait until my front tires wear out so I can get these in a 275 on the front.

Oh yeah, these things are SUPER wide btw. I have them on 18x10" BBS RK's and they stick out a good inch on each side of the tire. Took 3 guys almost an hour to mount 2 of them lol. They look amazing though.

Last edited:

cobra_hover

Established Member
I have the Kumho xs in stock size as I am quite low and the car is my daily. Not much traction in 1st gear unless I really heat them up. 2nd gear normally hooks unless its a cold night. Handling is amazing, such good turn in and response. Wet traction is decent but what do you expect when you have 450+whp?

- Aj -

Established Member
Any more opinions from experience on these tires? I'm in the same boat, but mine is a daily driver with 566/515 on Nitto NT01's....

Users who are viewing this thread