Kooks VS MAC LT's

Fabian_sn95

Established Member
Doing a ported blower swap on my 04 Cobra, with a bunch of mods waiting to be installed, anyways, was debating on putting it all together an I decided I should add a pair of LT's to this "semi-build" since i'll be getting a tune an all that. Figured i'd do it now so i don't have to retune later.
My issue is going with KOOKS or MAC, half the price difference. But how big is the gain difference an the sound difference I guess.
I do know i'll have to get a shorty X to match up with either LT's, but have the ATAK CB after the mid pipe.
Thanks for the help an input

Soap

Established Member
Just letting you know, if you get your car all setup and tuned with the stock manifolds and decide later down the road to swap to LT's, you do not need to get the car retuned.

--Joe

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I have kooks. I liked them a lot until I decided to get a bigger oil pan. I had some clearance issues.

If I had to do it again, and wanted to spend that kind of money, I would go with AHR.

However, it is really hard to beat the bargain price that the MACs offer. I have a few buddies that run them, and they sound amazing. No "gains" numbers tho as they were added with other mods.

Fabian_sn95

Established Member
Just letting you know, if you get your car all setup and tuned with the stock manifolds and decide later down the road to swap to LT's, you do not need to get the car retuned.

--Joe
Oh sweet really? Wouldn't tuning after the LT's installed be more beneficial?

Fabian_sn95

Established Member
I have kooks. I liked them a lot until I decided to get a bigger oil pan. I had some clearance issues.

If I had to do it again, and wanted to spend that kind of money, I would go with AHR.

However, it is really hard to beat the bargain price that the MACs offer. I have a few buddies that run them, and they sound amazing. No "gains" numbers tho as they were added with other mods.
For that clearance issue, what did you do to fix that? Swap out LT's? I kind of do want ARH but not to sure, mainly for price to be honest. Yeah I figured, I read 15-22rwhp but haven't seen any before an afters, as i'm planning as installing an tuning with a bunch of other goodies

wckdvnm

Established Member
For that clearance issue, what did you do to fix that? Swap out LT's? I kind of do want ARH but not to sure, mainly for price to be honest. Yeah I figured, I read 15-22rwhp but haven't seen any before an afters, as i'm planning as installing an tuning with a bunch of other goodies

Well from all I've seen there's no need for long tubes till you start getting over 600 hp. Another cobra local to us who is one of the fellow cobros put BBK headers on after getting a smaller pulley, and intake and with the catless X he put he gained maybe a couple horsepower (I'm talking 1-2) and about 5 ft lbs of torque. He did it for the sound and that's what GTR "recommended" he do. They tried to screw him into spending $500 to upgrade his cooling system and he's all said and done with my setup for $250 he just needs a OEM fan again.

wckdvnm

Established Member
But honestly I may just put shorties if I can find them used for this motor. When I finally get money to do the teskid build I want to do I'll probably go with either ARH or stainless works and a H

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Fabian_sn95

Established Member
Well from all I've seen there's no need for long tubes till you start getting over 600 hp. Another cobra local to us who is one of the fellow cobros put BBK headers on after getting a smaller pulley, and intake and with the catless X he put he gained maybe a couple horsepower (I'm talking 1-2) and about 5 ft lbs of torque. He did it for the sound and that's what GTR "recommended" he do. They tried to screw him into spending $500 to upgrade his cooling system and he's all said and done with my setup for $250 he just needs a OEM fan again.
Idk what i'm going to do lol, mostly i want it for sound an for minimul gains. Since I'm slapping on all these parts an tuning it. Aiming for 520ish to be honest lol, basically maxing out this ported Eaton, without cams or actual motor work tbh

wckdvnm

Established Member
Idk what i'm going to do lol, mostly i want it for sound an for minimul gains. Since I'm slapping on all these parts an tuning it. Aiming for 520ish to be honest lol, basically maxing out this ported Eaton, without cams or actual motor work tbh

Well are you going E85? That would make it easier to get there. Honestly sound is what will sway you one way or another. I'm going to see if I get some cheap shorties and a prochamber with my stingers and call it there for the stock short block.

wckdvnm

Established Member

What mid pipe do you have right now? Forgot to ask that

Fabian_sn95

Established Member
Well are you going E85? That would make it easier to get there. Honestly sound is what will sway you one way or another. I'm going to see if I get some cheap shorties and a prochamber with my stingers and call it there for the stock short block.
Na no E85 just yet lol from my reading an research with my type of mods give or take a few people would generally be in the high 4's an low 5's. I'm running a slp catted x right now with the ataks out the back

wckdvnm

Established Member
Na no E85 just yet lol from my reading an research with my type of mods give or take a few people would generally be in the high 4's an low 5's. I'm running a slp catted x right now with the ataks out the back

Hell if you had my de catted X you'd be ungodly loud. Plus it looks like it still has cats on it. I'm going to try to sell it since I found a prochamber local for sale.

badmpg03

Established Member
If you want 1 5/8 I would just buy MAC and save the $$. Macs are very proven.
I have a set of Kooks 1 5/8 but if I did it over, really doesn't seem worth while to get the kooks unless you are going 1 3/4 or bigger from the start.
which I would also just do if you can afford it

stangfreak

Established Member
Iv had my car for 14 years. I have seem custom exhaust setups that cost thousand upon thousands vs off the shelf. The hp gains IF THERE EVEN WERE ANY LOL, were minimal.

shorty headers on our cars are a waste of money. The collector is still too close to the engine so to say.

if you are staying with 1 5/8 get the mac. They make the same power as the others. My car picked up a lot of tq with the macs. If you want bigger, get american racing headers. 1 3/4 or the 1 7/8.

GodStang

Established Member
My only issue with MAC is that they do rust out from time to time. I had a Prochamber that did that and have seen other MAC exhaust do that. I chose Kooks because of this and ARH did not have any for our car at the time.

As Stangfreak said gains will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread