Thrasher137

Established Member
I've been having an issue with the install of my kooks headers. I have a team z k member and kooks 1 7/8 primaries. Initially I was having issues with the header making contact with the body on the passenger side but was able to control that by shifting the motor around slightly. Now I cant get my steering shaft to line up. It's about 3/4 of an inch from lining up. The shaft needs to move to the passenger side. It's almost as if the cylinder 4 primary is in the wrong location because that's what's keeping it from lining up. I also purchased a flaming river steering shaft in Hope's it would help..... it did not. Anybody on here with similar issues? Advice? Tips? Ideas? I will include some pictures of what I'm talking about. If more are needed let me know and I will post them.

Attachments

• 20200218_175937.jpg
    20200218_175937.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 20200218_175929.jpg
    20200218_175929.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 20200218_175932.jpg
    20200218_175932.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200218_175844.jpg
    20200218_175844.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 20200218_175806.jpg
    20200218_175806.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 20200218_175800.jpg
    20200218_175800.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 223

04oxfordvert

Established Member
i have heard of guys installing kooks that some dent a primary a bit to clear the body as you described. your prob gonna have to shift the motor for the steering shaft, and then dent a primary tube just a bit to gain the clearence. I just installed arh 1 7/8's and they are tight.

Sent from my SM-G965W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Albatross

Established Member
I just recently installed some kooks headers. Mine are the 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 primaries so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I remember I had a hell of a time with the steering shaft. I used the stock piece though. What I ended up doing is positioning the steering shaft through the primaries before bolting the header flange to the head. I threaded it through the top of the primaries as a whole assembly, lifted the header assembly up into place with the shaft hanging through the primaries, before bolting the flange to the head I had to put the shaft through the firewall while holding the header in place, then when the shaft was up through the firewall I bolted the flange to the head. I hope that makes sense. It was a real pain (a whole lot of swearing involved) and clearances in several places were tight. I did not ding the primary in that location but I know some who have had to do that. I think when everything was together I had about 1/8 of an inch of clearance between the shaft and the primaries. It's TIGHT! But it's so worth it when you take it out for the first time. They sound amazing! You're going to have to surgically remove the smile from your face. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Thrasher137

Established Member
I just recently installed some kooks headers. Mine are the 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 primaries so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I remember I had a hell of a time with the steering shaft. I used the stock piece though. What I ended up doing is positioning the steering shaft through the primaries before bolting the header flange to the head. I threaded it through the top of the primaries as a whole assembly, lifted the header assembly up into place with the shaft hanging through the primaries, before bolting the flange to the head I had to put the shaft through the firewall while holding the header in place, then when the shaft was up through the firewall I bolted the flange to the head. I hope that makes sense. It was a real pain (a whole lot of swearing involved) and clearances in several places were tight. I did not ding the primary in that location but I know some who have had to do that. I think when everything was together I had about 1/8 of an inch of clearance between the shaft and the primaries. It's TIGHT! But it's so worth it when you take it out for the first time. They sound amazing! You're going to have to surgically remove the smile from your face. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I can get the shaft thru the headers no problems. But the headers are in the way of the shaft lining up with the rack. I've shifted the motor around as much as possible and still cant get it to line up no matter what I do. Do you have any pictures of your drivers side? And steering shaft?

Albatross

Established Member
I'm not at home at the moment but I can snap some photos of the drivers side when I get home. I remember researching a new steering shaft when doing the install. I figured I would upgrade the shaft while I was in there but I came across a lot of people saying some aftermarket shafts wouldn't work with the kooks. I can't remember which ones. So I just used the stock piece. I will get you some pics as soon as I can.

Albatross

Established Member
Ok. I got a few photos. I hope they can help you. If there is a shot of something or a particular angle you want let me know.

From the top:
20200223_170808_compress50.jpg

20200223_170828_compress25.jpg

Bottom:
20200223_172013_compress51.jpg

20200223_171906_compress69.jpg

20200223_172114_compress98.jpg

20200223_171855_compress99.jpg

20200223_171932_compress33.jpg

20200223_172052_compress98.jpg

I took these portrait style and they are loading landscape style and I don't know how to change that. So it might help if you rotate them. The bottom of the photos is on the right if that makes sense.

Attachments

• 20200223_171906_compress69.jpg
    20200223_171906_compress69.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 158

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
with the Steeda K I had to take apart the stock steering shaft to install it but the MM piece went right in. I do not have an offset rack bushings or anything like that

Thrasher137

Established Member
with the Steeda K I had to take apart the stock steering shaft to install it but the MM piece went right in. I do not have an offset rack bushings or anything like that
Hmm...
It must be my k member. Do you have the 1 7/8 primaries? Also when did yal purchase your headers? These were bought in 2017... I'm wondering if the design as been changed and I needed up with a set that won't fit my k member

Albatross

Established Member
Ok, so I have been staring at these photos for a while trying to see where the primaries are different. It looks like the #8 primary (closest to the rear) on your header is bent different. On my header it comes off the flange and takes a sharp turn downward, almost 90 degrees. On your header it's almost as if it was not bent properly. It looks like your #8 primary takes more of a gradual bend. Maybe it wasn't bent enough. All the other primary routing looks the same. Or maybe I'm going cross eyed from staring at these photos for too long. Haha.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm...
It must be my k member. Do you have the 1 7/8 primaries? Also when did yal purchase your headers? These were bought in 2017... I'm wondering if the design as been changed and I needed up with a set that won't fit my k member

after checking I believe I have the 1 5/8"

Thrasher137

Established Member
Ok, so I have been staring at these photos for a while trying to see where the primaries are different. It looks like the #8 primary (closest to the rear) on your header is bent different. On my header it comes off the flange and takes a sharp turn downward, almost 90 degrees. On your header it's almost as if it was not bent properly. It looks like your #8 primary takes more of a gradual bend. Maybe it wasn't bent enough. All the other primary routing looks the same. Or maybe I'm going cross eyed from staring at these photos for too long. Haha.
It looks like they are all different to me? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I hope it is something simple but im afraid im either going to have to have the headers sent back to kooks or change my k member. I emailed both team z and kooks last night. Hopefully I can get some insight. I've been 2 years without my car over this.....

Albatross

Established Member
Ya, it's really tough to tell. Let us know when you get it figured out. I'd be interested to know what it is. Good luck dude!

wkornf

Established Member
try sliding the steering shaft where it meets the firewall. you might have another degree of freedom you aren't taking advantage of.

I believe there is 2 sliding joints and it allows for various angles.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Thrasher137

Established Member
try sliding the steering shaft where it meets the firewall. you might have another degree of freedom you aren't taking advantage of.

I believe there is 2 sliding joints and it allows for various angles.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I checked that last night and its only one size on the flaming river shaft

2001Cobrabuddy

Established Member
Thrasher, shaft needs to go behind the rear tube it's touching in the picture. Remove the two bolts holding the shaft in place near the brake pedal and pull up and reroute the shaft between the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread