Kooks 1 7/8 Header fitment

boduke0220

Established Member
Recently ordered the Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with a few other things and of course after I order I start reading about fitment issues with the steering shaft? anyone that has these have input on how theirs fit? I don't know if these cars will get false knock like the coyotes will but I have seen a lot of coyotes pull timing due to exhaust vibrations and it seems to be a pain in the ass to remedy.

KENS96M6

Established Member
I just installed the Kooks 1 7/8 on my 13. The tube is just rubbing the steering shaft. I tried sliding the engine slightly towards the passenger side by loosening the motor mount nuts and there is still a slight rub. I think I will remove the steering shaft and use a small porta power ram and a small socket to dimple the header tube slightly. It would be much easier for you to clearance the tube before it is completely installed. I don't have that option now and the DS is a pain to install/remove. Good luck!

CV355

_
Established Member
Interesting this thread comes up... I had Kooks LTHs installed on my '14 in late '16. Zero issues.

I had an MGW shifter installed a few months back and the guy that did the install let the transmission rest on the midpipes, which bent the headers down. One primary now makes contact with the steering shaft. Sounds like a bad throwout bearing when you're going down the road. Goes away when you turn right.

From what I've read, you have two solutions:
1) Dimple the primary
2) Shift the engine/transmission to create clearance

I was hopeful that there may be play in the steering shaft joint in the firewall but no, not like the old Fox bodies...

I'll be trying to fix mine this weekend, but this is what I've dug up.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Interesting this thread comes up... I had Kooks LTHs installed on my '14 in late '16. Zero issues.

I had an MGW shifter installed a few months back and the guy that did the install let the transmission rest on the midpipes, which bent the headers down. One primary now makes contact with the steering shaft. Sounds like a bad throwout bearing when you're going down the road. Goes away when you turn right.

From what I've read, you have two solutions:
1) Dimple the primary
2) Shift the engine/transmission to create clearance

I was hopeful that there may be play in the steering shaft joint in the firewall but no, not like the old Fox bodies...

I'll be trying to fix mine this weekend, but this is what I've dug up.
We may have a full day before us if this is a normal Kooks fitment on the 14. I want to believe that we can push everything back into place.

There is 0 tolerance for error when installing headers on these cars.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KENS96M6

Established Member

Yea, I also tried moving the steering shaft but could not get any appreciable clearance.

RBB

Established Member
Flaming River makes a low profile steering shaft that will solve your problems. I had the same rubbing issue with my Stainless Works headers and would've had to pull the driver's side off to dimple the area that was rubbing once it was installed. That was not anything I was about to do, and this with the solution.

2005-2014 Mustang Ultra Clearance Shaft Kit - FR1515P-SHFT - 577 - 5985

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Interestingly I bought a Flaming River S197 steering shaft to have when upgrading from SW 1 7/8" to ARH 2". I saw how close the SW were (but didn't hit, these were actually installed by SW on my car with mods they used to improve their product) and figured no way the 2" wouldn't hit.
When I picked up the car the aftermarket shaft was still in the box.
Long story short, yes you can likely get them to fit with the stock shaft.
I will say after racing and driving and settling, I can see signs of some shaft rub. I plan to make some adjustments or swap in the Flaming River.
It's definitely TIGHT doing headers in there.
-J

CV355

_
Established Member
We may have a full day before us if this is a normal Kooks fitment on the 14. I want to believe that we can push everything back into place.

There is 0 tolerance for error when installing headers on these cars.

They fit perfectly before being bent, so it's safe to reason we can get it back there.

Also, I'm not trying to derail OP- I think what we've been discussing is directly relevant and maybe it can help him. We'll find out more on Saturday. If we don't see a simple solution within an hour, I'm calling up Mike at ECM and seeing if they can either dimple the header primary or install the FR shaft RBB mentioned.

Right now I'm nervous to drive the car. Stainless is a ductile steel, so I would imagine the constant tapping would just cause surface warpage and not fracture, especially under heat. But, wear is wear. Any rub is going to remove material.

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
I had the 1 7/8 kooks headers installed along with their full exhaust system. The only fitment issue I had was with one of my over the axle pipes needed trimming down. No clearance issue with the steering shaft. Best two photos I could find.
6e0955817bebe9ba75690e988d387caf.jpg

eaa210fcb2ec2b09e311fa898bb6db64.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The only time shaft rub is bad?
Good pics and good luck. It's possible to fix but I've NEVER seen real work issues with dimpling/clearancing a primary tube. Several dyno tests show no power reduction, so don't be concerned if some shaft hammering occurs :)
-J

ROBBY92COUPE

Established Member
I installed 17/8 kooks in a lot of cars only thing you have to do to fix that rubbing issue is move motor all the way to the passenger side and move the k memebr all the way over to the passenger side and your problem will be gone

CV355

_
Established Member
I installed 17/8 kooks in a lot of cars only thing you have to do to fix that rubbing issue is move motor all the way to the passenger side and move the k memebr all the way over to the passenger side and your problem will be gone

I have heard that as well, but I have also seen examples where it caused vibration issues elsewhere. It's a tight engine bay.

My vote is to dimple. Permanent solution, no power loss, no risk of engine misalignment NVH

Users who are viewing this thread