Knock sensors

ItsReal

Established Member
Okay guys so I'm just curious if the 2011 to 2014 Shelby have knock sensors then why are we worried about getting knock if we're on a 93 tune and put 91 in it? Shouldn't the knock sensors just retard the timing automatically and you should be fine? Please help me understand this LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

merkyworks

Established Member
Newer tables saws have an instant blade stop feature if it senses your hand. This is a great feature but that doesn't mean I'm going to knowingly run my hand into the blade and test this.

Kind of the same philosophy with knock sensors. They are a great feature and will help save the motor if getting detonation but that doesn't mean I'm going to knowingly put 91 in the car if I have a 93 tune.

ItsReal

Established Member
Newer tables saws have an instant blade stop feature if it senses your hand. This is a great feature but that doesn't mean I'm going to knowingly run my hand into the blade and test this.

Kind of the same philosophy with knock sensors. They are a great feature and will help save the motor if getting detonation but that doesn't mean I'm going to knowingly put 91 in the car if I have a 93 tune.
I got you so the knock sensors theoretically should retard the timing and make it be okay with 91 but we just don't want to chance it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
As stated above, the knock sensor are there to save your engine if you get bad gas or something else. You're better off keeping timing conservative.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you've ever seen the knock sensor tables in the original configuration, it only dials back timing 1 degree. That's not enough to save your engine if you have bad gas, so you need to be diligent about having decent octane. I'm not sure tuners dial in more retard than the stock setting either.

merkyworks

Established Member
If you've ever seen the knock sensor tables in the original configuration, it only dials back timing 1 degree. That's not enough to save your engine if you have bad gas, so you need to be diligent about having decent octane. I'm not sure tuners dial in more retard than the stock setting either.

This is new to me....I thought the sensors keep dialing back timing until it senses 0 knock?

Snoopy49

Established Member
The 13-14 cars are tuned for 93 octane, but will run with 91 octane.
Torque on 93 octane fuel 631 lb-ft torque @ 4000 rpm

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS

Premium unleaded gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91 or higher is required. SVT recommends using unleaded gasoline with octane rating of 93 or higher for optimal performance of this vehicle.
Recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance and optimal performance of this vehicle. The use of gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 can lead to severe mechanical damage to your vehicle, may degrade vehicle performance, and may affect your warranty coverage.

KEVINS

Established Member
The engine has to be knocking first before the timing can be changed to get rid of it. You don't want the sensor to be hearing it to begin with.

ks

Robot_trainer

Established Member
You dont want to hear it. The sensors have to hear it before they can do anything. You are already in an undesirable situation. Think of it as the last line of defence albeit a flimsy one.

Users who are viewing this thread