kingnut's no cut tablet mod 2011-2014 mustangs

kingnut

Established Member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NcXVaN_e0Qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

links to all the products and parts used are in the description.

20140102_183530_zpsrn0dkvdy.jpg

20140102_183542_zpssff9v3qh.jpg

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
interesting concept, I dont know how I feel about sticking shit to my dash though lol.

The only thing that sucks is no wifi for the google navigation...

kingnut

Established Member
Yes! You inspired me to do this, but take it a step further. Thanks King.

cheers!

interesting concept, I dont know how I feel about sticking shit to my dash though lol.

The only thing that sucks is no wifi for the google navigation...

the command velcro strips dont leave any residue and they are rated to hold 36lbs. and you actually dont need any internet connection for google nav. you can download the maps and save them to your SD card for free. all you have to do is turn on your GPS on your device. instructions on how to do so are here How to download offline maps in Google Maps 7.0 | Digital Trends

i have unlimited data on my phone. so if i want to stream sirius/xm or iheartradio i just hotspot my phone and connect the tablet to it.

also here are a couple of stand alone navigation apps that allow you to download complete maps for over 80 countries. absolutely no internet connection needed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

95PGTTech

Established Member
Good job. I use an SCT iTSX to tune and data log, so I just bought an iPAD mini, do do the same thing you did or take it a step further by using this:

Ford Mustang iPad Mini Dash Mount - YouTube

Only problem is its $400 bucks and you have to wait for it. They just started producing them due to the demand.

I can understand why someone would want a "no cut" approach, but this style of recessed/flush mount is way cleaner IMO. I would probably just purchase another stock bezel to cut up and store the stocker in case you wanted to go back or sell the car.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Good job. I use an SCT iTSX to tune and data log, so I just bought an iPAD mini, do do the same thing you did or take it a step further by using this:

Ford Mustang iPad Mini Dash Mount - YouTube

Only problem is its $400 bucks and you have to wait for it. They just started producing them due to the demand.

That's the future. Every car will have an ipad mount.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I can understand why someone would want a "no cut" approach, but this style of recessed/flush mount is way cleaner IMO. I would probably just purchase another stock bezel to cut up and store the stocker in case you wanted to go back or sell the car.

I agree. Im not in love with the bulky look of the kit in the link…and I'm even less in love with the $400 price tag. Kingnut's approach is simple and works. If I were to go his route, I would probably drill the bezel and run the power supply through and to the USB port in the console so its hidden.

numbnutz

Established Member
Def the way of the future. Looking to do something like this in the spring. $400 is ridiculous for that mount though.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
So does the Ipad mount allow you to control the radio? and the rest of the entertainment system as well as play it through the speakers?

King nut love the set up ingenuity at its finest!

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Def the way of the future. Looking to do something like this in the spring. $400 is ridiculous for that mount though.

Well its actually $379, but after shipping it's over $400….Still too much, but they know they have a winner and will benefit from it.

numbnutz

Established Member
Well its actually $379, but after shipping it's over $400….Still too much, but they know they have a winner and will benefit from it.

No doubt there will be others that will copy the idea for cheaper.I'll stay patient.

zsommer79

Established Member
It's cool but not $400 worth of it. If it cost them $250 to make it then i could see that price but would think they cost less than $100 to produce.

scott_0

Established Member
I have a system I'm extremely happy with, but I'd personally rather see this pod for Android tablets, they are not only more customizable but they offer expandable memory unlike apples shit

Zevox

Established Member
am or lrs will be selling these for $99.

The velcro strips? Yeah I could see it.

But seriously, that mount is cool and it'll be nice when some one copies it for cheaper. Too bad I was cheap and impatient and didn't hold out for a 301a package with built in bluetooth. Is there a good way to put bluetooth in a base car? I've been thinking about putting a USB port in somehow anyway for my iPod so I can charge/play it instead of being slightly ghetto with my AUX cable.

kingnut

Established Member
The velcro strips? Yeah I could see it.

But seriously, that mount is cool and it'll be nice when some one copies it for cheaper. Too bad I was cheap and impatient and didn't hold out for a 301a package with built in bluetooth. Is there a good way to put bluetooth in a base car? I've been thinking about putting a USB port in somehow anyway for my iPod so I can charge/play it instead of being slightly ghetto with my AUX cable.

Yeah you definitely need bluetooth. Also you can control all the tracks and volume from the steering wheel. But an option for you could be to run your power and aux cable from your arm rest under the console and under the stereo bezel and then pop them out right when the connections are on the tablet.

Users who are viewing this thread