Killer chiller

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the killer chiller didn't really add power per say but it would keep IAT2s down and prevents timing from being pulled without having to use ice between runs. I had one on my Lightning and it worked well at the expense of some in-cab cooling. This was before the j2fab style mods to increase flow in and out of the intercooler was a thing

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I had a KC for a long time. I never had any issues with mine, worked great, cool IATs and still had cold in cab AC. I swapped over to the J2fab flow mod to not have to have my AC on all the time, plus worry about dripping water at the track.

GodStang

Established Member
Most have given up on the killer chiller and gone j2fab cooling mod.

I had a KC for a long time. I never had any issues with mine, worked great, cool IATs and still had cold in cab AC. I swapped over to the J2fab flow mod to not have to have my AC on all the time, plus worry about dripping water at the track.

So has anyone ever proven that the J2Fab actually works? There seems to be so much conflicting data on this. In theory it would seem to work but not sure about in practice. It seems you have to have a trunk tank to take advantage of it and it seems people with trunk tanks are already cool enough not to need it if that makes sense. I was thinking about it but a few companies are talking about making new lower intakes and intercoolers so may wait for them.

This is for sure one of the biggest weaknesses in my build and I have gone over my cooling system a few times and I am still not sure if I am happy with where I am at with it. I debated hard on the Trunk tank VS Killer Chiller Vs combining the two.

Last edited:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
So has anyone ever proven that the J2Fab actually works? There seems to be so much conflicting data on this. In theory it would seem to work but not sure about in practice. It seems you have to have a trunk tank to take advantage of it and it seems people with trunk tanks are already cool enough not to need it if that makes sense. I was thinking about it but a few companies are talking about making new lower intakes and intercoolers so may wait for them.

This is for sure one of the biggest weaknesses in my build and I have gone over my cooling system a few times and I am still not sure if I am happy with where I am at with it. I debated hard on the Trunk tank VS Killer Chiller Vs combining the two.
Don't combine the two, several people, including a friend of mine tried the trunk tank with killer chiller and had problems. Too much fluid volume for the KC to effectively cool. I haven't had any chance to drag race my cobra, but on the dyno i did three runs back to back and my IAT2 went from 96-102 max temp in three back to back pulls.

cj428mach

Established Member

Malcolmv8 did some testing and posted a video on Facebook. Testing the flow difference in a stock intercooler and a j2fab intercooler and the j2fab flows 50% more coolant. He also tunes cars regularly and had told me j2fab cars drop iat2 temps when under boost. Others on Facebook have said the same.

cj428mach

Established Member
Not sure why.. My intercooler temp is generally 30* below ambient in the summer time.
Other than my Tvs it was the best mod!!!

But when you get on it does the temp stay down during the course of a run?

People complain that the kc might give you cold fluid to start a run and cold fluid shortly after a run but during the run temps are climbing because of flow through the intercooler.

GodStang

Established Member
Don't combine the two, several people, including a friend of mine tried the trunk tank with killer chiller and had problems. Too much fluid volume for the KC to effectively cool. I haven't had any chance to drag race my cobra, but on the dyno i did three runs back to back and my IAT2 went from 96-102 max temp in three back to back pulls.

Ya I was going to trying and make my own version of the killer chiller with what you use to brew home beer and they setup I designed would of chilled like 4x what killer chiller did but I was worried about all the added items and if it did not work as designed.

Malcolmv8 did some testing and posted a video on Facebook. Testing the flow difference in a stock intercooler and a j2fab intercooler and the j2fab flows 50% more coolant. He also tunes cars regularly and had told me j2fab cars drop iat2 temps when under boost. Others on Facebook have said the same.

Ya I under stand that it does in fact flow more but that is the debate. Cooling comes from the amount of time in the heat exchange. The reason we have 2x, 3x pass through heat exchangers and more surface area. If you flow too much you are not giving the coolant enough time in the heat exchanger to cool therefor you are actually just recycling heated water quicker never letting it cool where as when you add the trunk tank you are going from like 1/2 gallon of water to 5-7 gallons of water which is where the cooling is really coming from. I know people with trunk tank only and claim sub 105 temps after pulls.

So I guess I am saying have people done normal aftermarket under hood tank, then did a trunk tank only, and then did J2fab and if so when did the big cooling gains come in? Is the J2fab worth the $700 or so over the price of a Trunk tank? I am not trying to be negative, I am just trying to learn because I am not a fan of my setup and I run a lot of boost.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
But when you get on it does the temp stay down during the course of a run?

People complain that the kc might give you cold fluid to start a run and cold fluid shortly after a run but during the run temps are climbing because of flow through the intercooler.

Correct but don't forget I can keep my fluid in the I/c system well below ambient temps right onto the staging lanes... I/c temps on any system will climb up during wot.
I just love the simple fact that my I/c fluid is always ice cold and I always use the a/c system in my car... with a stock i/c

cj428mach

Established Member
Correct but don't forget I can keep my fluid in the I/c system well below ambient temps right onto the staging lanes... I/c temps on any system will climb up during wot.
I just love the simple fact that my I/c fluid is always ice cold and I always use the a/c system in my car... with a stock i/c

So you didn't read where i posted that j2fab trunk tanks with big pumps report iat2 temp drops under wot?

cj428mach

Established Member
Ya I under stand that it does in fact flow more but that is the debate. Cooling comes from the amount of time in the heat exchange. The reason we have 2x, 3x pass through heat exchangers and more surface area. If you flow too much you are not giving the coolant enough time in the heat exchanger to cool therefor you are actually just recycling heated water quicker never letting it cool where as when you add the trunk tank you are going from like 1/2 gallon of water to 5-7 gallons of water which is where the cooling is really coming from. I know people with trunk tank only and claim sub 105 temps after pulls.

So I guess I am saying have people done normal aftermarket under hood tank, then did a trunk tank only, and then did J2fab and if so when did the big cooling gains come in? Is the J2fab worth the $700 or so over the price of a Trunk tank? I am not trying to be negative, I am just trying to learn because I am not a fan of my setup and I run a lot of boost.

I cant answer if anyone has done both. If a stock intercooler guy can prevent temp climbs during a run then you have your answer.

You have to remember more flow isnt a bad thing. If you cycle 2 gallons of water through the intercooler in a minute and you double the flow you now have 4 gallons going through the cooler in that same minute. So you wont lose cooling efficiency.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
So you didn't read where i posted that j2fab trunk tanks with big pumps report iat2 temp drops under wot?

I did.. just posting my experience with killer chiller and the sub ambient temps I run all summer long on a stock cooling system.. Minus my true forged tank. That was done more for looks tho.. Technically the larger tf tank is hurting me.
By no means am I being a douche.. just trying to help.
Not sure what the price of killers chillers are but its a great kit and have had it installed for over 8yrs I believe... with No issues

olympic

Established Member
I have a KC and it works great but I think it needs slightly more coolant volume than the 1 gallon my IC system currently holds. Coolant temp rises too fast and gets too warm even after 1 quick blast throughh the gears. When I put my car back together I'm going to try and build a custom reservoir to increase coolant volume into the 2-3 gallon range but without resorting to a trunk tank.

I also don't like the fact that I can't sustain high speeds of 90+MPH without the IC coolant temps rising out of control because the a/c system has shut off, so I'm putting the heat exchanger back in and have a Gord's Ford unit ready to go. My ultimate goal is to have both systems(HE and KC) and be able to switch between them like the Dodge Demon.

Stangra

Established Member
...If you flow too much you are not giving the coolant enough time in the heat exchanger to cool therefor you are actually just recycling heated water quicker never letting it cool where as when you add the trunk tank you are going from like 1/2 gallon of water to 5-7 gallons of water which is where the cooling is really coming from.

If your goal is to have the coldest coolant this might be true, but if you want to remove the most heat from the inlet air more flow always helps.

Heat transfer efficiency vs. coolant mass flow rate - Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics engineering - Eng-Tips

In other words, even if faster moving coolant gets a little warmer it will still transfer more intake heat within the same amount of time.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

FWIW, there's a company called Department of Boost. The guy that owns it is all about the air to water technology. He's made some custom lower intakes for the S197's and S550's. He says the more flow the better. And according to his customers his set ups work well. I was trying to find something he posted about the Veyron has an intercooler flow of something like 200gpm.

YMMV.

Stangra

Established Member
FWIW, there's a company called Department of Boost. The guy that owns it is all about the air to water technology. He's made some custom lower intakes for the S197's and S550's. He says the more flow the better. And according to his customers his set ups work well. I was trying to find something he posted about the Veyron has an intercooler flow of something like 200gpm.

YMMV.

Quote from D.O.B.: "the Bugatti Chiron moves the water at 200gpm!"

Department of Boost : Cooling/Intercoolers

GodStang

Established Member

YMMV.

Yes I have talked with Department of Boost and read a lot of their stuff and it's good stuff he just ignores major problems with our design. Our under blower heat exchanger has 3 major problems. To maximize cooling we need to address all three and everyone only wants to address one of them and it's the least problem but easiest to fix. I understand JFab addresses one of them and I was not bashing it and I understand that faster moving water does help in cooling if the system is designed for it but the point I was trying to ask/get across was the few people that have J2fab also are adding a 5-7 gallon tank that has a Rule 2000 pump or other brand pump. So the question is are these huge gains from the inlet mod or are they the fact that you now have 10x-14x the fluid capacity with a big tank pump or both? Is the J2Fab worth the $700 over just a trunk tank and if you have the money I say for sure do it. If you have just $700 do you get a complete trunk kit or do you do J2Fab.

I am not trying to argue and not trying to be a jerk but this is the item (under blower heat exchanger) that I think is keeping our cars from having more 1000rwhp lower compression twin screw builds and no one ever talks about it for our cars. (They have proven this in the GT500 not yet in our cars).

As far as the Veyron it's complete system is designed to flow that and was adequately built for that car. Unfortunately when our car was designed near 20 years ago I don't think they planned for E85 builds with 25psi and 2.6L+ blowers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread