Killer chiller or custom rear tank setup?? Need help!! Come in!

GTpower01

Established Member
Hey guys... So I was on the forums and was looking at a few old threads, in which I'm trying to decide between a killer chiller or custom tank in trunk setup. I found a guy who can mill my stock ic, and adapter plate allowing for increase flow. I have pictures too before and after and boy what a difference! The inlet holes are way bigger allowing for increased flow. I have an 03 cobra and he also recommended me the afco dual pass modified with extra fins and a 5.5 gallon chisseled tank in trunk with all 1 inch lines and proper an fittings coolant Crossover delete etc. Finally he recommended an out of the tank lingfelter programmed pump.

My question is: My car is a street car and I really want it to run cool and get the most power/low iats at wot. Should I keep this setup or go chiller killer? I go to track 3 times per year and know the killer chiller has mixed reviews. I don't think iats during driving on the street matter as match as wot but I could be wrong. Ive heard by using the killer chiller and a larger ic tank at the same time, the iats are still kind of high. Finally I have been told that the only way to get Iats down correctly at wot is by having the air run through your heat exchanger and water in tank. The water heats up and iats are higher when cruising, but as soon as wot, air passes through the he and the iats drop dramatically. However I sometimes i hear this setup is bad for the street but then again mine is custom with the 1 inch lines and port. What do you think??

Thanks for all of your help...

Ps killer chiller guys... what are your iats at wot... not cruising?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Killer chiller is great but it seems Kincaid is having problems keeping up and getting orders done.

Water is great, a lot of people set their cars up to a pump that only triggers under boost to cycle the water through a HE. Water will cool better than the coolant mix but if you daily your car or if your garage/car storage area drops below freezing you are going to have some serious issues in Illinois.

GTpower01

Established Member
That right lol. I store my car in the winter. What do I do in that case about the ice box. It's 5 gallons so I think I should be ok but what about water in the lines and everything??

Any other oppinions?? Ic tank in trunk with 1 inch lines, intercooler ports, and lingefelter pump or killer chiller for a street car?

Killer chiller folks... what are your iats under wot and 1/4miles?

GodStang

Established Member
What is your engine setup? Temps for a Eaton will be different than a low boost twin screw which is different than a high boost twin screw.

Last edited:

GTpower01

Established Member
2.9 whipple crusher, fully built teskid heads cams etc, returnless fuel system with e85 with a single magnafuel pump. 25lbs boost

GodStang

Established Member
2.9 whipple crusher, fully built teskid heads cams etc, returnless fuel system with e85 with a single magnafuel pump. 25lbs boost

Good stuff. I am doing a 7 gallon tank in trunk and then making my own chiller that can support a 7 gallon tank. KC only efficiently cools 2-3 gallon tank so I will have to improve on it. Now I will be set up for half mile and top speed so my front end will be taped over for better aerodynamics and the HE will be blocked off durning those runs.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I know there was a great thread about this before. I'll try to find it and report back, but the end conclusion was that the killer chiller couldn't cool that much volume and would actually over work the condenser making it get hot.

GTpower01

Established Member
Awesome godstang!!! You have to let me know how that 3.6lc kenne bell treats you. I want going to go 3.4 whipple bit I hear they are hard on the crank. Is this the same with the 3.6lc or just a bunch of bull?

As far as the killer chiller, I talked to joe today from Kincaid. He said 3 gallon tank is maximum for street and tack. 2 Gallon is good too. 5-7 gallon like you said is good for the half mile. Reason why is it takes longer to cool up aka have to leat car run 10 minutes at least to leat all that fluid cool down. He said once it is cold though, it will always stay cold:)!!!!

GTpower01

Established Member
Godstang..Also, I'm kind of going a custom route too. I sent my intercooler in to a guy who was going to mill the ic and ports as well as make the ic adapter plate have larger ports for the fluid. Very very nice piece and work he did. The size diameter of the ports is night and day!! Huge difference and much more flow. I'm then going to run a 3 gallon tank in the trunk with a aftermarket lingefelter with programing pump. Thus pump is rated 24gpm!!! It is mounted outside the tank cause it is a street car and is used in all the zr1 cars and supercharged camaros!! Rated like 1400hp lol. Anyway then I'm doing all 1" lines and removing the he.

I talked to joe from Kincaid performance and he's going to modify my killer chiller with all 1" an fittings because he sells them with 3/4 fittings. He loves the idea and thinks it will flow much better and the iats will even be lower. Time will tell I guess:)

Thanks guys

SlowSVT

Established Member
For the street either a Killer chiller or the factory HE set-up but not both. For drag racing a large insulated reservoir packed with ice with no HE will be your best bet. By definition a reservoir are not designed to conduct heat out of the volume of fluid it holds (high volume/low surface area/little-to-no airflow).

For the street a large HE and the factory burp tank is effective, simple and reliable. For lots of boost and HP the Killer Chiller will cool the best but is a bit more complicated and will work the AC system harder.

Gords makes the biggest HE I am aware of. It's a single pass where a dual pass is nothing more than 2 smaller rads in series with 1/2 the cross section which doesn't bode well for flow.

I am curious what your machinist did with the IC manifold and would love to see photos

GodStang

Established Member
Godstang..Also, I'm kind of going a custom route too. I sent my intercooler in to a guy who was going to mill the ic and ports as well as make the ic adapter plate have larger ports for the fluid. Very very nice piece and work he did. The size diameter of the ports is night and day!! Huge difference and much more flow. I'm then going to run a 3 gallon tank in the trunk with a aftermarket lingefelter with programing pump. Thus pump is rated 24gpm!!! It is mounted outside the tank cause it is a street car and is used in all the zr1 cars and supercharged camaros!! Rated like 1400hp lol. Anyway then I'm doing all 1" lines and removing the he.

I talked to joe from Kincaid performance and he's going to modify my killer chiller with all 1" an fittings because he sells them with 3/4 fittings. He loves the idea and thinks it will flow much better and the iats will even be lower. Time will tell I guess:)

Thanks guys

Is it Justin Wheeler's intercooler setup? His setup is badass. I will be using the Rule 2000 pump which is 33gpm.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Is it Justin Wheeler's intercooler setup? His setup is badass. I will be using the Rule 2000 pump which is 33gpm.

i was just about to ask this. i have seen pics of his set up and it is nice. i know cooling data is hard to replicate but id love to see before and after data on his set up, especially in distances more than 1/4 mile

GTpower01

Established Member
Godstang... 94slowbra.... Ding ding ding!!!! Yep!!!! Its freaking awesome too!!!! Great great work!!! All tig welded and everything. He also modified my afco pro series heat exchanger too and added additional fins and made it bigger. Won't be needing that though. I say you buy his kit, add the killer chiller, and 1 inch lines. Plus he steered me away from the rule 3000 and raved about this pump... http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/ST-1030002107.html#.V6vW5aJUV08 expensive but freaking sick. This system is going to flow like crazy. I cant wait to see the setup when its complete!!:D

Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
Yep Justin's kit is nice, definitely looks like a nice flow improvement over stock. I'd love to see some data to back it up. Keep us posted on how your whole system turn out. That's serious pump your going to run

GTpower01

Established Member
haha Sounds good. I will keep you updated. Just short of funds right now for the build. It's getting close though:)

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
We spoke on the phone not long ago. From what I have seen large trunk tanks and the KC dont work well because the high volume of fluid overwhelms the system. I just run the LFP underhood tank with a deleted HE and it works great. I almost never see IATs above 100 when cruising. They of course rise during a WOT run and then drop back down very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread