Kill someone street racing, get 4 years in prison & 4 on probation

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Earlier this week, a 22 year old pleaded guilty in a case where he was street racing another car going around 97mph. They both crashed into the side of a 57 year old woman's Audi A4, killing her instantly. He was sentenced to 4 years in prison and another 4 years of probation when he gets out. The co-defendant, 23 year old, has not yet been to trial or taken a plea. This is one of the weakest sentences I've seen for something like this and nothing compared to that California case with the TT 5.0 and GTR. A mitigating circumstance may be that she pulled out in front of them but even then...

Boca man pleads guilty in street racing death; victim's mother blames 'macho' drivers

There's too much anguish in Edie Dickes' heart to celebrate her 60th wedding anniversary with her husband, Roy, next week.

Too much suffering over the "horrible death" of their daughter, Fran Abel, in a 2013 multicar crash to look forward to Roy's 85th birthday on May 1.

"All of our dreams and happiness now have been shattered," Dickes told Palm Beach County Circuit Judge John Kastrenakes on Monday, after he sentenced one of the two young men accused of killing Abel, 57, during a street race from West Boca to West Delray.

Gregory Comon, 22, of Boca Raton, pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide, in exchange for a four-year prison term, plus four years of probation including five hours of monthly community service and the suspension of his driver's license for three years.

Violating probation would put Comon at risk of being resentenced to up to 15 years in prison, the judge warned. Comon is allowed to ask the court to end his probation after two years.

Dickes said her family — including Abel's two grown daughters and Abel's husband, Jerry — approved the plea deal arranged by prosecutor Judy Arco and defense attorney Brian Bieber.

"Whether it is one day in prison or 50 years in prison, our daughter will never return, but a proper prison sentence may discourage similar driving by you some day, and/or another person, and thus save an innocent victim," Dickes said, glancing at Comon.

A Palm Beach State College student, Comon did not make a statement in the courtroom. But he cried often throughout a hearing attended by more than a dozen of his relatives and friends, as well as co-defendant Amir Talebzadeh, 23, and his parents and lawyer.

Just before accepting his punishment, Comon had a meeting with the prosecutor to share his version of the events that led to Abel's death on Jog Road, just outside the Mizner's Preserve community where she lived. Comon said he did not know Talebzadeh, of West Delray.

"He will testify he … did not intend to race Mr. Talebzadeh," Arco said. "He also cannot recall what his speed was."

They were driving in the northbound lanes at speeds approaching 100 mph, according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff's investigator. Witnesses said they were switching lanes to get around slower traffic during the rush hour.

At 8:48 a.m., Abel pulled out from Mizner's Preserve Way onto Jog Road, heading to work at the business she and her husband owned, Miller's Elegant Hardware, a kitchen and bath decorative shop in Boca Raton.

Abel's Audi A4 hit the front passenger side of Comon's Honda Civic, according to Investigator Steven Lipinski's report. With Abel's Audi stopped, Talebzadeh's Hyundai Genesis slammed into the driver's side of Abel's car, and the force of the crash briefly lifted the Audi onto the hood of the Hyundai.

Abel would not have been "expecting someone to drive 70, 80 or above, in a 45 miles per hour zone," the prosecutor said. "She actually hits the defendant, and along comes Mr. Talebzedeh, who hits her and she dies."

Arco said Comon could be called as a witness against Talebzadeh, if he rejects the same plea offer just accepted by Comon. Otherwise, Talebzadeh is expected back in court on June 3, when Judge Kastrenakes will schedule a trial.

"On my client's behalf, and my behalf, he wanted to apologize to the Abel family for the tragedy," said James Benjamin, Talebzadeh's attorney. "From the bottom of his heart, he apologizes."

Judge Kastrenakes answered that Talebzadeh remains innocent until proven guilty, but the judge is ready to approve another plea deal if one can be had to spare the victims of the ordeal of a trial.

Earlier, Kastrenakes acknowledged that Comon had "taken responsibility" in what was a nightmare both for his family and Abel's survivors.

"It's so hard for kids these days to keep them from … making bad choices behind the wheel of a car," the judge said. "What happens are young men like Mr. Comon don't realize they are driving … a death machine. He's not a bad person. He made a terrible choice on a day that changed everybody's lives in this courtroom."

Edie Dickes asked Comon, "How do you feel knowing that you have destroyed an entire family because of your lack of common sense and responsibility when driving a car? It was a conscious decision that you and the other driver made to prove how macho you are."

Lisa Watt testified she lost her dear, longtime friend because two strangers simply decided to challenge "each other's manhood."

"Your automobiles were agents of death," Watt said, glaring at Comon and Talebzadeh while holding an enlarged photograph of Abel. "The impact of Fran's death will be felt forever."

550x309

wpid-Photo-Jul-1-2013-949-AM1.jpg

Gregory Comon, 22, Civic driver
550x309

Amir Talebzadeh, 23, Hyundai driver
120413_met_Talebzadeh_1st_appearance_2.jpg

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks for everyone all around.

I think it says a lot about the family of the victim to accept a plea deal and acknowledge that she's gone, and that putting more time on the sentence is just further destroying that guys life.

4 years is a long time, but he'll have the opportunity to live his life. Hope he understands how lucky he really is.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Whether it be by vehicle, gun, knife, or bowling trophy a person that ends a life should have theirs ended.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
oh goin be real popular in prison :banana:

Amir Talebzadeh, 23, Hyundai driver
120413_met_Talebzadeh_1st_appearance_2.jpg

racing up to 100mph in rush hour traffic?? weaving in and out of cars? :nonono:

i cant imagine what that impact in that audi did to her.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
A little different than the issue in California. Everyone there knew of the dangers associated with street racing, and I'd say accepted that by being there.

I do put some blame on the victim in this case as she pulled out in front of traffic. If ever any doubt, wait. I think that is why the plea deal was accepted, not that the family wanted to spare this young man any prison time.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I know where that road is...really ****ing dumb to be racing there, especially at that time.

Surprised at the short stint in prison.

truefiveo

Established Member
oh goin be real popular in prison :banana:

racing up to 100mph in rush hour traffic?? weaving in and out of cars? :nonono:

i cant imagine what that impact in that audi did to her.

That's South Florida for ya!
There are a bunch of douche bags like him who think they are above the law because thier families are wealthy.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Must have taken them miles to get going that fast,

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Dickes said her family — including Abel's two grown daughters and Abel's husband, Jerry — approved the plea deal arranged by prosecutor Judy Arco and defense attorney Brian Bieber.

/thread

Felix C

Established Member
Cars were much slower when I did similar as these two. Thank goodness I survived that era without any collisions. Watching the highway racing videos on some sites I do not know why collisions do not occur more frequently seeing as the very high MPH will spook an average driver looking in the rear view mirror at approaching cars or headlights(if at night).

Users who are viewing this thread