KENNY BROWN?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Since suspension has been brought up in some other threads, what does everyone think about kenny brown? I was checking out their website and just came out with the new suspension kit for the 03cobra. They have some nice pics of a black 03 with the new kit(looks awsome) I think the total price is around $2000-2400. Does anyone have this kit yet? Or does anyone have the GR-40(total kit) from griggs racing on their 03? If you want the whole GR-40 set up the price is around $3400. I can't decide on which one to go with. Which is better for the street? Is griggs worth spending the extra $1000?

matstang03

Established Member
Whats up kevin?
yeah I have been looking for suspension also for my 03, but i am not sure what to go with. That Kenny brown 03 Cobra does look sweet. The black is nice. I want a set up that will be real good for 1/4 mile, but i also want one that is good for the streets. I guess kenny brown seems to be worth it. Let me know if you find our more about it.
Matt

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
well, I have been looking around and it seems like griggs might be better for maximum performance. Like if you wanted your car to be only a autocross/road race car. But both kenny and griggs have a set up for street use. This is my first cobra, and first car with IRS, the only other mustang I have had is a 98GT (all I did to the handling for that was get Eibach sportline springs). So I havn't been able to try either of their kits. I am still thinking kenny brown would be better for street use, plus its alittle over $1000 less, but I am still researching. Hopefully someone will post who has used kenny brown and griggs on their 99-up cobra

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Page Goldy, his is the car pictured. I drove it and it is sweet. I am having SFC's put in my 03 soon. jP

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
ok, well I started comparing the two kits. KB looks like it has more for the rear suspension than Griggs GR40. All that the GR40 has for the rear is rear control arm bushings-$349.95, then the rear suspension coil-over has- lower sub frame connectors 79.95, rear coil-over spring-130.00 and the koni rear coil-over kit-669.95. But the GR40 has more for the front suspension. KB uses Bilstein struts and shocks and GR40 uses KONI, anyone know which one is better? The KB kit comes with a strut tower brace199.00 and the GR40 does not, but thats not a big deal. KB also has a jacking rail, matrix brace, and sub frame connectors so that would really stiffen the car up. So thats what I have found so far, I am still thinking KB is better for the street. I just don't know if Bilstein or KONI is better.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
OH3cobra---he has the black car on the KB website? if so I would really like to talk to him, is that his whole user name? We should get him over here

Goldy

Established Member
(This is mostly a copy of a something I previously posted).

No, the '03 Cobra on the KennyBrown website is not mine, though mine does look very, very similar. Mine also also Black, but is a convertible.

I've got two Cobra convertible; a 99 and an 03. On both, I had the Kenny Brown chassis stiffening pieces added; they make a world of difference in chassis, and IMO, is the place to start. (On my '03, I have a strut tower brace, lower chassis brace, super sub-frame connectors, cross-matrix bracing, jacking rails, rear shock tower brace, and Caster Plus plates.)

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to ride in another Kenny Brown mod'd '03 (I believe this is the one pictured on their web site). This car had all of the mod's mine did (with the possible exception of the rear shock tower brace), but also had a coil over conversion, Kenny Brown's lower A-arms up front (think that's what they're called), and Kenny Brown rear springs. This whole set-up was very impressive, and is next on my list of mods for the '03 (the new coil over springs, struts, shocks and rear springs made a world of difference).

These parts are fairly new. I'd suggest calling Kenny Brown performance (317.247.5320) if you would like more info. I do know that Kenny Brown himself did much (if not all) of the testing on the '03 suspension set-up.

Kenny Brown is offering a 10% discount to SVTOA members on Kenny Brown products (not all products they sell, just the Kenny Brown ones). Should you call Kenny Brown Performance, please let them know Howard of the Indy SVTOA chapter referred you, as Kenny Brown Performance is one of our sponsors (it helps the club).

Good luck.

Howard
Indy SVTOA Chapter Director

'03 Cobra Convertible, Black/Black Top
'99 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green/Black Top

:D

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
hey thanks for the help guys. I will check out that website, have you guys been to griggsracing.com? You can check out the GR-40 suspension they sell. Check that out and let me know what you think about that against KB.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am not impressed by the KB kit. I have always heard everybody say if you want a Mustang to handle use Maximum Motorsports or Griggs Racing kits. I am probably going to go with Maximum Motorsports kit since I have dealt with them allot in the past and have had nothing but good experience with them.

I highly suggest everybody to read this article
Can I make my Mustang handle as well as <X> car?

These guys really know what they are talking about and I would confidently follow there recommendations.

This is the kit I am looking at.
MM The Maximum Grip in a Box

We already have
Bilstein Sport struts & shocks 621
Don't need
MM Panhard Bar with Aluminum rod 340
MM Standard Torque-arm 450
MM Rear Lower Control Arms without spring perch or swaybar mount 240
MM Rear Coil-Over Conversion Kit 430

So I would expect the kit to cost around 2,250 plus rear springs.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
toofast4you---so your not getting shocks for the front, you just keeping the stock one? It looks like KB has more upgrades for the IRS is that true? or does MM and griggs just sell more parts for the IRS separate (the GR-40 only has rear controll arm bushings) because I would like an all-around package so I can get the suspension out of the way

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Kevin, I wasn't going to say the whole 9 yards... but here's what I learned at the corner-carvers forum... take it FFIW

(flame suit on)

Yeah, the Griggs system is awesome for those serious track people that have the big $. However, some of their approaches to gemometry change induce problems of their own. Some people swear by 'em - some swear at 'em. For me, it just didn't seem worth the $ or the risk of creating new "issues" with the car.

Kenny Brown - man, you hear a lot of good reports from the guys down south about their stuff. No doubt, this stuff works! But looking at their offerings, you gotta ask the question... how much does all of this wiegh? Is it really needed just for great street performance? Strut tower brace, lower chassis brace, super sub-frame connectors, cross-matrix bracing, jacking rails, rear shock tower brace, etc, ect, ect... Geez - sounds like a lot of heavy metal to me. It's not really a bad thing in itself, but there is a fine line to cross between what's needed for a given set of performance characteristics (the occational spirited street driving) vs. what seems cool to get (full bore racer). It just seems to be a little bit too much overkill given the wieght penalty.

Some good caster/camber plates, front-end links, bushings (front & rear), full length subframe connectors, and some race springs is about all you really need for the street and the occational track use. Please, don't get me wrong - KB & Griggs are some sweet setups... but targeting above what your intent is for the car is wasting a lot of money. Go a little slow on the suspension mods at first, take it to the track, drive it, talk to the peeps out there and learn from their experiences, and then go out and get what suits your needs. Throwing $ at something isn't always the best solution.

Hope this helps,

Mark.....

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
hey mark. That does help. I am checking out the corner-carvers website right now. I thought about the weight too. Maybe I should just go with subframes/springs/shocks. That might be a good start. Have you done anything for your 03?

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
hey mark. That does help. I am checking out the corner-carvers website right now. I thought about the weight too. Maybe I should just go with subframes/springs/shocks. That might be a good start. Have you done anything for your 03?
The Bilstiens on the 03 are some good shocks... no need to replace 'em as far as I'm concerned. Springs and subframe connectors are a great start... but the caster camber plates will allow your shop to do a custom perfomance allignment - pretty important stuff for the twistie fan.

No, I haven't done squat to the 03. I'm taking a more conservative approach... i.e. Seeing what works well for some of the trail blazers here and trying to allow for some time for the aftermarket manufacturers to play catch-up. I did purchase the Maximum Motorsports full length subframes, installing them in a few weeks too. Exhaust/CAI mods are next. I'm going to give it another 9 months for the suspension stuff - by that time what's out there will have been put through the acid test, and I'll have a better idea on what will be best for my perfomace expectations.

Having two Cobras is a bit limiting on the mod budget. The 01 has been officially cristened the "mod car"... so I'll be sinking most of my mod budget there. Besides, I got the 03 for the wife... makes her feel real good to know that the one I bought for her is faster. It also allows me to continuing to mod the yellow one (she doesn't bitch too much now that she has one to drive when the 01 is in the shop) - and come to think of it, I do like telling people "my old lady could even can kick your ass" before I smoke 'em. :-D

edit: Oh, just as an aside... me and my better half really just refer to the Cobras as "his" and "hers" to make things easier when refering to them. I actually have been driving the 03 more then she does... especially after the day she got stuck in 5 o'clock rush hour traffic. Her calf was so sore the next 4 days, she insisted I take the 03. She's got the spunk & spirit to drive the 03, it's just that her scrawny ass can't cash the check all of the time. I told her that the clutch was going to be a lot for her... and it is. Maybe that third spring I installed 2 weeks ago worked after all ;-).

Having fun in the East Bay - Mark.......

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
sn8k--after going to cornercarvers website I learned alot of info. I will go with either MM or Griggs, thanks for referring me to that site, it saved me. I read a lot of bad stories about the KB stuff. I will get subframes and springs and see how I like the handling. Then I will go from there, thanks again for everyones help.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
toofast4you---so your not getting shocks for the front, you just keeping the stock one? It looks like KB has more upgrades for the IRS is that true? or does MM and griggs just sell more parts for the IRS separate (the GR-40 only has rear controll arm bushings) because I would like an all-around package so I can get the suspension out of the way

Some of this has already been addressed, but here I go. No reason to replace the shocks and struts we have Bilstein already. There is not allot that you really need to do or can do to the IRS and I would be leery about replacing the bushings or replacing the tie-rods, which is all the KB has.

I am going to be doing the following.
MM Strut Tower Brace
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM K-Member
MM Front Control Arms
MM Front Coil-Over Conversion Kit
Hypercoil Coil-Over Springs
MM Competition Tie-Rod Ends
MM K-Member Brace
MM Aluminum rack bushings
Solid steering shaft
MM Full Length Subframe Connectors
Urethane swaybar bushings
Urethane swaybar endlinks

Also as far as the weight this will be adding about as much as it is taking away. The factory K-Member and lower A-Arms are at least 15 Ibs. more then what it is being replaced with. Some people are really overly paranoid about adding weight to there cars, but are not in a major rush to decrease it. If you really have a problem adding 5 Ibs. for something that really does something why don't you remove your A/C, Radio, Rear-seats, carpeting, and etc that would easily remove 200+ Ibs from your car. Remember how much you don't want to add 5 Ibs next time you are going through a drivethrough and biggie sizing your order.

I highly suggest you do your own research and come up with your own decision on what is good and where you want to go. Don't buy something because so and so said it is the best or way to go do it because you have researched it and feel it is the best choice for you. There are allot of idiots and mistaken people that don't truely understand what they are talking about and are actually dangerous. Remember if you go and buy a replacement K-member from Bill and Bobs car-o-rama and it fails what do you think is going to happen to your car. Keep on reviewing Corner Carvers they have allot of very useful information and very knowledgable people.

The one thing I learned from my old Cobra is decide which company is most reputable and knowledgeable and use there entire solution only. If you don't you will spend allot of money and the suspension will suck. I did get stuck in the well it is only $200 and will fix this then go back and will this is only $50 dollars and fixes that and in the long run spent well over $4,000 dollars and had a completely crappy solution.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread