Kenny Brown Matrix Brace - Vert's gotta have it

mattletourneau

Established Member
For those verts out there and even coupes - I had the Kenny Brown Matrix Brace installed on Friday and let me say that I am very impressed. The car handles and rides completely different. I don't know the best way to describe it but it is like night and day. Until you have the braces you really don't realize how much these cars flex when turning and normal driving. The install cost was more than I anticipated at 6.5 hrs of labor but in the long run I think it will still be worth the expense. I would go as far as saying this should be one of the first things you do to your vert. Can't speak for the coupes but it's gotta help as well.

Redwing

Established Member
What's a matrix brace?
I already have aftermarket subframe connectors and I'll be getting a strut tower brace. Is this matrix brace in addition to or instead of?
Steve

f2fast4u

Established Member
Well I spent all afternoon attempting to install their kit - I finally gave up. The subframes are not as long as they should be, the matrix arms don't even fit the car. Note, I've a good welder (35+ years) and machinest and have my own car lift in my shop... but I was really dissappointed in their kit. I will just build my own set. I did use their subframes but chopped off the nose and added another 17" to them to make them true full length subframes. But you are correct, the convertibles have to have something to correct the flex. Probably will end up with a roll cage like my other convertible before it's all done, that's the best way to fix it.

I've used KB's stuff for years with good luck so I was really dissappointed with this kit.

Last edited:

mattletourneau

Established Member
Originally posted by Redwing
What's a matrix brace?
I already have aftermarket subframe connectors and I'll be getting a strut tower brace. Is this matrix brace in addition to or instead of?
Steve

The matrix brace connects the subframe and seat supports to the jacking rail on the side of the car. It adds more support between the subframe and the outer floor pan section. I don't know that they would work with other subframes but you can call Kenny Brown to determine. I am speaking for the whole kit but I'm sure the subframes are a big reason for the improvement.

Stratman

Established Member
Do you know of anyone installing the Edelbrock SFC's? I hear they are full length and attach to the firewall. I don't understand why KB would make a kit that doesn't fit the car properly. I was considering their extreem matrix kit.

Users who are viewing this thread