kenny Bell using oil

Chipofsc

Established Member
I have a KB 2.4 that uses a lot of oil. I have read that if you are making more than 17lbs of boost KB will use some oil. I drive mine on weekends only and maybe 1500 miles a year. I have to add oil every three weeks. I don't run it that hard. I contacted KB and they said I need new seals in the front or a rebuild. 800 bucks. Does that sound right? Will I have to retune after the rebuild? Will a fresh blower make more boost? Im at 20 now and don't need to make more.

bigmoose

Established Member
Do you know where the oil is going? Mine leaked from a warn out snout seal. New seal was $25 from KB and I did if myself.

Blueline

Established Member
You won't need a retune and it won't make more boost. You have a seal leaking internally. Call Jon bond performance he rebuilds them too. He did my whipple for the same issue. Jon is very honest and great to work with. He will be cheaper than KB for the fix. GL

bigmoose

Established Member
My external leak was not apparent. Run your finger under the snout and check for oil. Mine was a really slow leak and wasnt obvious. If its clean its gotta be internal.

Chipofsc

Established Member
No oil leaking from the bottom. Must be internal. Checked with bond performance and they are the same price as kenny bell.

Blueline

Established Member
Mine was leaking internally. If you take your intake off and put your hand through the throttle body, see if there is oil in and coating the plenum. Mine was covered in oil.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Mine was leaking internally. If you take your intake off and put your hand through the throttle body, see if there is oil in and coating the plenum. Mine was covered in oil.

So remove the throttle body and stick your hand into the intake to check for oil. KB intakes are a bitch to get off.

Blueline

Established Member
So remove the throttle body and stick your hand into the intake to check for oil. KB intakes are a bitch to get off.

That's what I did with mine and my hand came out soaked in oil. Pulled the blower and sent it to Jon. GL

Chipofsc

Established Member
Are you sure the oil was not coming from blow by from your PVC valve ? Don't see how the oil would get into the plenum. Heat exchanger yes. I have seen that before with a PVC system without an oil separator.

Blueline

Established Member
Are you sure the oil was not coming from blow by from your PVC valve ? Don't see how the oil would get into the plenum. Heat exchanger yes. I have seen that before with a PVC system without an oil separator.

Im pretty sure lol. It was eating all the oil in the blower within 20-50 miles. It was a fresh swap with only 100 miles on it, it wasnt the pcv. When Jon opened it up he said someone had been inside the blower before I bought it and used the wrong seals and actually used silicone in some parts. It was def. leaking from the blower.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Jon said it sounds like the seal. He wants 750 bucks to rebuild it. I'm going to try keeping a log of when I add oil and how many miles. Hate to remove it and spend that much for a seal. I will if I have too

Users who are viewing this thread