Kenne Bell

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I just wanted to know if anyone around here is using this brand of SC on their 96-98 Cobra?? They are literally down the street from where I work. I stopped by and they do have some impressive looking rides there. It's a small shop with massive burnouts in front of it, kinda cool. I'm looking for any review on their SC's, first hand or other wise.

Thanks All

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
A guy on the SCOA list shaved a full second with a KB on his '96 Mystic...

Kenne-Bell does better than expected...

I'd lean toward a roots style supercharger if I was ever to put one on my 4-cammer. Will give 125+ RWHP down low where our cars are weakest. Centrifugal will give you more performance per $$$, but you've still got to wind them out to get the most out of them...

Lemme know what you wind up doing :-D

COBRASVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
I'd lean toward a roots style supercharger if I was ever to put one on my 4-cammer.

Careful...the die hard Kenne Bell users will chastise you for "roots". Remember, "twin screw"...lol.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
I just wanted to know if anyone around here is using this brand of SC on their 96-98 Cobra?? They are literally down the street from where I work. I stopped by and they do have some impressive looking rides there. It's a small shop with massive burnouts in front of it, kinda cool. I'm looking for any review on their SC's, first hand or other wise.

Thanks All

They are great for the stop light warrior but have there limitations if you want to have big power. If you want to go over 500 RWHP then go centrifigual.

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
Thanks guys.. I'll have to wait as X-Mas pretty much kicked my ass. Anybody heard of a heads up race between the 2 types (at a drag strip)? Outcome? TIA.

Alex

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
Thanks guys.. I'll have to wait as X-Mas pretty much kicked my ass. Anybody heard of a heads up race between the 2 types (at a drag strip)? Outcome? TIA.

Alex

Well that all depends. If they are both stock geared I would have to say the Kenne Bell would probably be the quicker. But if you get some steeper gears on the centrifigual car I would give it the win. The roots, screw and whipple style chargers are great for instant boost but they fall off very steeply at higher RPMs due to there lack of flow rate. And that's where the centrifigual picks up the slack. Gear a centrifigual charged Cobra right and you will likely smoke most roots style charged Cobra's. Just my $.02.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah

Well that all depends. If they are both stock geared I would have to say the Kenne Bell would probably be the quicker. But if you get some steeper gears on the centrifigual car I would give it the win. The roots, screw and whipple style chargers are great for instant boost but they fall off very steeply at higher RPMs due to there lack of flow rate. And that's where the centrifigual picks up the slack. Gear a centrifigual charged Cobra right and you will likely smoke most roots style charged Cobra's. Just my $.02.
I agree completely.

You want a torque rush, go with KB. You want to win the drags and highway blasts, go centrifugal. Rode in a '97 Vorteched Cobra on Saturday, it was as fast as the '00R I went over there to see! The '00R had mid twelve power throughout the band, the blown snake just rushed from 4,000-up. All I can say about the R...Awesome, and the pictures of the intake do not give it justice. If you haven't seen one in person, you are doing yourself a disservice. Unbelievable.

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
i just got back from KB and they want 3599 for their SC (Boost a pump , chip, gaskets, etc.) Told him I was running 4.10's and he said it might be a bit too low "tire roasting" is the way he put it. Seems lile the Centrifgal might be the way for me to go as I already have the gears and the seem to be a *little* more affordable. That's a butt load of cash though. Not including installation. I'm not sure that I would wanna try the install myself.

Thanks everyone.
Happy New Year

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
One important thing that most people forget. The Centrifical is cheaper to install. You don't have to remove your intakes and drain radiators. The labor time is much shorter. The centrificals are cheaper. If I'm not mistaken you can get the 10PSI intercooled kit from Vortech (all hardware and chip included) for about the same $3600.00 I'll check on that though.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
One important thing that most people forget. The Centrifical is cheaper to install. You don't have to remove your intakes and drain radiators. The labor time is much shorter. The centrificals are cheaper. If I'm not mistaken you can get the 10PSI intercooled kit from Vortech (all hardware and chip included) for about the same $3600.00 I'll check on that though.

BUT, with the roots/whipple type chargers, you don't have to punch a hole in your oil pan and feed the S/C engine oil (except for the P1SC Prochargers).

Pound for pound , under mild levels (say under 10psi), the positive displacement blowers make more power IMO. I agree the Centrifugal blowers have the advantage at higher HP levels, but you have to make the decision just how much power you want. 500 hp is a $hitload of power and plenty for the majority of us, not to mention plenty to easily destroy the rest of the driveline!

I installed a BBK Instacharger on my '93 Cobra a few years back. It produced a MILD 6-7 psi max. Other than that, the car had shorty headers, off road, cat-back, along with MSD and fuel pump (which were included in my S/C kit). I raced it with the stock 3.08 gears and stock eagle GSC tires. BONE stock it was turning 14.4 @ 96 MPH. I'm sure the ET could've been a bit better as I only took it to the track once when it was stock, but the MPH was normal for that car. After the S/C and exhaust install, the car went a best of 12.80 @ 110 MPH. Keep in mind this is still running 3.08's and GSC's! Give that car a 3.73 and traction it would've gone low to mid 12's easy!

Away from the track, I had 'Big-Block' power anytime I wanted and the blower was just about silent(til I floored it:) ). Like I said, it's all what you want or need.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by HAMMRHEAD

500 hp is a $hitload of power and plenty for the majority of us, not to mention plenty to easily destroy the rest of the driveline!

You don't want to know what I'm shooting for. :-D :coolman:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member

BUT, with the roots/whipple type chargers, you don't have to punch a hole in your oil pan and feed the S/C engine oil (except for the P1SC Prochargers).

Pound for pound , under mild levels (say under 10psi), the positive displacement blowers make more power IMO. I agree the Centrifugal blowers have the advantage at higher HP levels, but you have to make the decision just how much power you want. 500 hp is a $hitload of power and plenty for the majority of us, not to mention plenty to easily destroy the rest of the driveline!

I installed a BBK Instacharger on my '93 Cobra a few years back. It produced a MILD 6-7 psi max. Other than that, the car had shorty headers, off road, cat-back, along with MSD and fuel pump (which were included in my S/C kit). I raced it with the stock 3.08 gears and stock eagle GSC tires. BONE stock it was turning 14.4 @ 96 MPH. I'm sure the ET could've been a bit better as I only took it to the track once when it was stock, but the MPH was normal for that car. After the S/C and exhaust install, the car went a best of 12.80 @ 110 MPH. Keep in mind this is still running 3.08's and GSC's! Give that car a 3.73 and traction it would've gone low to mid 12's easy!

Away from the track, I had 'Big-Block' power anytime I wanted and the blower was just about silent(til I floored it:) ). Like I said, it's all what you want or need.

The Centrificals make more hp on the DOHC motors wit hcomparable amounts of boost. Roots ususaly make around 370RWHP while Centrificals make around 400RWHP.

My 97 Cobra with FRPP shorty headers and bassani X with cats made 430RWHP and 408RWTQ. It also ran 12.60 witha bent axle @ 100 mph. Got off of it when I hit 3rd and the rear caliper started squealing. Warped the stock axle that bad. The car did have 3.73's but it weighed 3870lbs at Darlington's scale. She was an 11 second car if it hadn't been for that.

Roots are good for cars that don't have to operate in higher RPM ranges. The 4.6 needs to rev higher and the roots quits making higher rpm HP. This is of the ones available for street use now. Saleen is working on a new one for the 4.6 that makes power all the way up to 6000. As it stands now the better power is the centrifical.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah

You don't want to know what I'm shooting for. :-D :coolman:

Hey, as long as I don't have to fix it when it breaks, or $PAY$ for the fix, I wanna know!:lol1:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member

Hey, as long as I don't have to fix it when it breaks, or $PAY$ for the fix, I wanna know!:lol1:

Around 600 RWHP maybe a little more.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member

:lol: Yeah no joke. I'd hate to even tell a mechanic I broke a 4.6. That just makes them hit the old x2 feature every time.

Good luck on that hunt for HP Boo. You're in our prayers here in NC. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread