kenne bell vs. eaton

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Hey everyone I thought i would start a thread on what is interchangeable between the stock blower and the kenee bell. When i get my cobra i'd like to get some aftermarket parts but nothing that i will have to get rid of when i upgrade blowers so what is swapable.

fryingricecobra

Crappyservice=Nocustomers
Established Member
I know that with the KB you have to use their chip. So if you are going to get a KB for sure I wouldn't get a chip or do the pulley swap. Thats all gonna go once the KB gets there.

ALA G8R

Banned
I think that Kenne Bell uses the Accufab throttle body. So that would be reusable from the Eaton to the KB. Also, any CAI would be reusable.

Blades

Established Member
Pete burns diablo chips which are usable with the eaton and KB. You dont have to use their chips. I know someone has done an autologic cobra

03&68cobras

Established Member
If your so worried about wasting your money, then why even swap the blower right away. You don't say how quickly you will be switching over to the KB. The best $150 bucks you can spend on the car is to switch the upper pulley. To me it would be worth the $150 even if it is only for a couple of months. My idea is to spin the piss out of the Eaton until it gives up and then switch over to the KB. 500rwhp is definately obtainable with the Eaton, and if you haven't driven on of these cars with that much power, let me tell you, it can be quite a hand full. You can't imagine how quickly gear changes come up when your running around 12sec in the 1/4 mile.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by 03&68cobras
My idea is to spin the piss out of the Eaton until it gives up and then switch over to the KB. 500rwhp is definately obtainable with the Eaton, and if you haven't driven on of these cars with that much power, let me tell you, it can be quite a hand full. You can't imagine how quickly gear changes come up when your running around 12sec in the 1/4 mile.

That sounds like fun, but I have a question. What happens if the Eaton loses some shrapnel when it "gives up." I'm all for the extra power but it makes more sense if you need the extra boost to go with a blower that's rated for the increased impeller RPM's from the get-go.

Does anyone know what the maximum boost that can be applied on 91 octane pump gas? My only concern is that I wouldn't be able to use all the extra boost obtainable from a KB without running racing fuel. For example, let's assume (because I don't know what the real number is) max boost on pump gas is 13 pounds and the Eaton will give 13 pounds without exceeding its maximum rated RPM's then what's the point of going to a KB? Cooler intake due to increased efficiency, less parasitic drag? In real terms, how much difference are we actually dealing with?

03&68cobras

Established Member
I have heard it is quite a bit. At the same boost levels, I have seen where the KB makes quite a bit more power. I think it has to do with both less drag and more airflow, possibly cooler temps. I don't know the exact #s, but I think you can find them in the article in MM&FF where they made the 600rwhp with the KB.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by 03&68cobras
I have heard it is quite a bit. At the same boost levels, I have seen where the KB makes quite a bit more power. I think it has to do with both less drag and more airflow, possibly cooler temps. I don't know the exact #s, but I think you can find them in the article in MM&FF where they made the 600rwhp with the KB.

The only problem, for me, is that they were using racing fuel toward the end of the test to get the big numbers. If I am not mistaken they were running aroung 18# of boost.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by fryingricecobra
I know that with the KB you have to use their chip. So if you are going to get a KB for sure I wouldn't get a chip or do the pulley swap. Thats all gonna go once the KB gets there.

You are correct and incorrect, simultaneously and at the same time. While it is true that if you had a chip prior to the installation of a Kenne Bell supercharger you would probably have to have it "reburned" or modified to accommodate the change. It is NOT true that "you have to use their chip." For example, if you have a chip and the supplier of that chip included no cost or low cost reburns then the chip could, in fact, be used with the Kenne Bell supercharger. I was going to order the 96-98 Cobra kit without the KB chip, Boosta Pump and FMU which meant the price was being reduced from KB by a correspondingly appropriate amount.

When I was going to order the KB for my '98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, and I was planning the purchase with Jim Bell, we discussed the fact that I would be obtaining my chip from another source: Dennis Reinhardt Automotive in Florida. In fact, Dennis was going to save me a few bucks over all on the kit from KB. So, if you are planning a KB purchase you may want to contact Dennis.

Also, Dennis supplies custom chips that are second to none. Along with his extensive experience in engine mods and building the 4.6 modular motor. Example: Dennis has a built and very stock looking Lincoln Mark VIII, heaven help you if you pull up next to Dennis in your stock 03 Cobra, you will be in for a big surprise when the heavier/older sleeper blows your doors off...
At least talk to Dennis before making a purchase, it can't hurt and most likely will get you more power for less money. Here is where to find Dennis:

Dennis Reinhart Automotive Website Link

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread