kenne bell supercharger??

98svtdroptop

98droptop
Established Member
Looking to get a supercharger,car is stock except for slp exhaust...what should i get for a safe setup? thanks

redrocket16

Established Member
For a 96-98 Cobra you should look at a Vortech or Procharger setup or swapping to C heads and a few other pieces to put on the top end of a terminator.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
what ever blower you choose- with a stock motor you should use a lightning 90mm maf, 42# frpp injectors, and a walbro 255lph in tank fuel pump.

SVT Pille

Established Member
One of my friends ran a KB 1.5 on his rebuilt non forged motor and made 320/320 on around 8psi I believe with bolt ons. On 10psi with meth he put down 380/380. My advice is if you're hellbent on Kenne Bell get the 2.1 they sell now and run meth to keep it cool since they're not intercooled.

Best bet would be a centri though (Vortec/Procharger/Paxton). More efficient and they can come intercooled. You'll see around 420 at thr wheels with one of those on 6-8psi.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
what ever blower you choose- with a stock motor you should use a lightning 90mm maf, 42# frpp injectors, and a walbro 255lph in tank fuel pump.

Yes. Ditch the FMU that comes with the KB, install the parts recommended above, and get a good tune.

One of my friends ran a KB 1.5 on his rebuilt non forged motor and made 320/320 on around 8psi I believe with bolt ons. On 10psi with meth he put down 380/380. My advice is if you're hellbent on Kenne Bell get the 2.1 they sell now and run meth to keep it cool since they're not intercooled.

The 2.1L KB is leaps and bounds better than the old 1.5L and 1.7L's in regards to ACT's, though as already mentioned, you'll want to run meth injection to cool the charge if you plan on running more than ~8 psi of boost.

ZAPPY

Established Member
I guess it really depends on what u want from it? The kenne bell will give u more low end torque which is fun on a street car. The centri will make more top end power for sure and will allow u to dail up more hp if u wish unlike the kenne bell cuz they dont make an intercooler for that setup! :thumbsup:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Instead of telling this guy what to get, it might help to explain that the kb is boost limited on b-headed cars due to lack of an intercooler. They can still be fun. Meth/water injection might help.

Centri style blowers and turbo kits do have intercoolers so you can run higher boost.

After owning both an intercooled eaton setup and a turbo setup and riding in a lot of centri cars, I would probably push people towards turbo. It's not quite as fun for tire shredding instant stomping power but if you're in it for more than 2 seconds it will turn your passenger's knuckles white.

ZAPPY

Established Member
so if u do use the meth injection with the kenne bell how much power can u really make compared with a centri? the only thing i worry about with meth is if there is a malfunction with the system! :beer:

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
so if u do use the meth injection with the kenne bell how much power can u really make compared with a centri? the only thing i worry about with meth is if there is a malfunction with the system! :beer:

Well, I'm running a 2.1L KB (non-IC) on a B-headed 298 c.i. stroker at 10 psi with a 625 ml/min meth/water nozzle, injecting a 50/50 mix. The last time I had it on a dyno, it made 478 rwhp/390 rwtq, but I've been tuning at the track for the past couple of years. The tune is still very conservative, but I'm sure the numbers would be higher if I dyno'd it now.

As far as safety in the event of a malfunction, there are a number of steps you can take. What I've done to keep things safe is:

Set the IAT spark retard table in the tune file to pull timing in relation to IAT's.

Use Snow's SafeInjection system to open the SPOUT circuit in the event of a malfunction. I've set the SPOUT circuit opening to pull a global six degrees of timing in the tune file.

I have two 1/2" diameter LED's mounted under the cowl hood directly in front of the driver. When the system activates and everything is working correctly, a green LED is illuminated. If the SafeInjection detects a malfunction, the green LED goes out, and a red LED is illuminated. If the level sensor detects a low fluid level, the red LED illuminates (but it does not turn off the green LED).

I've yet to have any meth injection failures, but it always pays to be safe.

Last edited:

ZAPPY

Established Member
Well, I'm running a 2.1L KB (non-IC) on a B-headed 298 c.i. stroker at 10 psi with a 625 ml/min meth/water nozzle, injecting a 50/50 mix. The last time I had it on a dyno, it made 478 rwhp/390 rwtq, but I've been tuning at the track for the past couple of years. The tune is still very conservative, but I'm sure the numbers would be higher if I dyno'd it now.

As far as safety in the event of a malfunction, there are a number of steps you can take. What I've done to keep things safe is:

Set the IAT spark retard table in the tune file to pull timing in relation to IAT's.

Use Snow's SafeInjection system to open the SPOUT circuit in the event of a malfunction. I've set the SPOUT circuit opening to pull a global six degrees of timing in the tune file.

I have two 1/2" diameter LED's mounted under the cowl hood directly in front of the driver. When the system activates and everything is working correctly, a green LED is illuminated. If the SafeInjection detects a malfunction, the green LED goes out, and a red LED is illuminated. If the level sensor detects a low fluid level, the red LED illuminates (but it does not turn off the green LED).

I've yet to have any meth injection failures, but it always pays to be safe.

Wow those r some great numbers!!!! I think the twin screw would be way more fun on the street compared to a centri! If u don't mind me asking what that whole setup cost u? :beer:

ZAPPY

Established Member
How much boost were u running on that stock cobra? I was told to stay away form those blowers cuz of the heat soak and no intercooler! That meth setup seems to wonders on that setup! 450 rwhp would be fine with me, my 97 is a street car anyway! Maybe that's the way I will go since this info has been brought to my attention! :beer:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
How much boost were u running on that stock cobra? I was told to stay away form those blowers cuz of the heat soak and no intercooler! That meth setup seems to wonders on that setup! 450 rwhp would be fine with me, my 97 is a street car anyway! Maybe that's the way I will go since this info has been brought to my attention! :beer:

I will say the fit of the blower was complete bullshit. upper and lower intake bolt holes didn't all line up, and they gave me the wrong pulley bearing spacer as well so my blower pulley didn't line up with the rest of my pulleys. I was not pleased to say the least. they did fix the pulley issue but I had to thread some bolt holes for sure. there's a lot of little tricks to make the kb 2.1L perform like it should.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
I will say the fit of the blower was complete bullshit. upper and lower intake bolt holes didn't all line up, and they gave me the wrong pulley bearing spacer as well so my blower pulley didn't line up with the rest of my pulleys. I was not pleased to say the least. they did fix the pulley issue but I had to thread some bolt holes for sure. there's a lot of little tricks to make the kb 2.1L perform like it should.

Weird. I didn't run into any trouble with mine. I have one of the early 2.1L's (purchased in '06) though, and I know they've made changes as time has passed.

KoBra_98

TT04 98KoBra 70Boss302
Established Member
My install was really very easy and fit great. and the difference in the car is night and day. instant boost from 2400 up and the low end is really needed in these. worst issue i had was getting the fuel rail back on by the rear drivers side injector. the first time you step on it from your stock car will make you smile a mile wide. I can't comment on a centri as i have never owned or ridden in one though. if you do go kb get some 4.10s too and have fun .

Users who are viewing this thread