Kenne Bell on a 97 Cobra

GodStang

Established Member
  1. I’m guessing that with the BAP I don’t need a bigger fuel pump? (I ran a BAP for many years back in the day and had random issues with it. If at all possible run bigger pump/pumps.)
  2. KB mentions the BAP is available either splice or plug n play, which one? I would run Pumps as there are so many options now a days.
  3. Stock, the 97 Cobra has 24lb injectors, should I install bigger? What size if so? depending on power goals 42s or even 80s. I have run 60 and 80s and the 80s were so so much better injectors for daily driving and no they are not too big.
  4. Is the stock MAF ok? I would go with a Lightning or a SCT MAF.
  5. The car currently has new last year stock Motorcraft plugs, are these ok? They are ok but there are better.
  6. The 97 air intake has a big dent in it for the strut brace, what cold air intake did you use? CAI are easy to make. I recommend a JLT if you dont make your own. Stay away from metal and stay away from open engine bay filters. The last thing you want is more heat on a non-intercooled Supercharger.
  7. Has anyone modified the strut brace to accommodate the SC?
  8. What rear gears is everyone running? Currently have 4.56’s installed. 3.55s or 3.73s.
  9. KB website says it comes with a chip, will the car need a tune afterwards? Custom Tune Custom. Always Custom.
I will also be doing the head cooling mod at the same time.
Are there any other things that I may be missing?
Did you have to change anything additional up that perhaps is not mentioned on their page or instructions?

My input in red on running different Kenne Bells for the past 15 years. As far as Meth make sure you run it post Supercharger. Most of the heat comes from the compressing of the air in the blower so cooling it too early will kill any gains.

Another route you could go is C heads with 03-04 Eaton swap and a Kenne Bell that way. Much more power and better cooling.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My input in red on running different Kenne Bells for the past 15 years. As far as Meth make sure you run it post Supercharger. Most of the heat comes from the compressing of the air in the blower so cooling it too early will kill any gains.

Another route you could go is C heads with 03-04 Eaton swap and a Kenne Bell that way. Much more power and better cooling.

You're one of the few I've seen suggest the 80's. They're not a popular injector. I ran them in my last set up and while they took some work I was able to get them working pretty well.

GodStang

Established Member
You're one of the few I've seen suggest the 80's. They're not a popular injector. I ran them in my last set up and while they took some work I was able to get them working pretty well.

Everyone suggests IDs because that's what the Vendors push. I had 42s then 60s, then 80s, then IDs, then back to 80s. The drivibilty on my car for the power it has is unreal. The 80s are a factory Ford injector so the data is easy to come by on them. They came on a 500hp car stock so they can handle low levels of power and they have been used to 900+rwhp on E85 blower cars so they can grow. They are half the price of most injectors and a third of many more.

Now that being said you really need to talk to your tuner and see what he/she feels safest tuning as that will give you the best safest route. I am not knocking ID injectors it just hurts to pay $1000/$1300 instead of $400 for injectors when 80s are fantastic. Who knows my latest build could finally max out the 80s and I will have to go back to bigger IDs.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Everyone suggests IDs because that's what the Vendors push. I had 42s then 60s, then 80s, then IDs, then back to 80s. The drivibilty on my car for the power it has is unreal. The 80s are a factory Ford injector so the data is easy to come by on them. They came on a 500hp car stock so they can handle low levels of power and they have been used to 900+rwhp on E85 blower cars so they can grow. They are half the price of most injectors and a third of many more.

Now that being said you really need to talk to your tuner and see what he/she feels safest tuning as that will give you the best safest route. I am not knocking ID injectors it just hurts to pay $1000/$1300 instead of $400 for injectors when 80s are fantastic. Who knows my latest build could finally max out the 80s and I will have to go back to bigger IDs.

What cars did the 80's come on? I knew about the Cobra Jet, but that's it. I think I did the trick of using the data for the 60's for the low end pulse width when I was tuning my car. This was back in 2010 or 2011. So they weren't as popular at the time. I ended up getting a screaming deal on a set of Bosch 105's and at the time I had planned on going for four digit power. Everyone says the Bosch injectors are easy to tune as well.

Rio_Cobra

Established Member

Thanks for your reply @GodStang

jmsa540

Established Member
I’ve been running a kb for quite a few years and never had any trouble. Biggest issue with these set ups is the lack of an inter cooler so they heat soak. I would definitely recommend relocating the iat sensor below the blower so it pulls timing when it’s hot. I would also recommend a 255 lph and 42 lb injectors over the boost a pump. Here’s my set up:

imrc deletes
42 lb injectors
255 lph fuel pump
180 thermostat and fans set at 185
Accufab throttle body
SCT chip (custom tune)
Lightning IAT relocated after the blower
NGK TR6 4177 plugs
6 lbs pulley

Most everyone on here will tell you a cold air intake won’t make anymore power than the stock air intake with a drop in k&n filter. I’m running a c&l but it’s just preference. The strut tower brace won’t fit without modifying the brace with a bend to go around the front of the blower snout and pulley. I’m not running one. Kenne Bell recommends cutting a hole in the bottom side of the hood for clearance of the throttle cable bracket. I didn’t use the bracket and was able to mount my cable flush against the blower intake so I didn’t have to cut my hood. hope this info helps you.
What are you making?

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mlackke

Established Member
My inputs since recently installed KB to 97 cobra :)
  1. I’m guessing that with the BAP I don’t need a bigger fuel pump? If you run stock 6psi, you don't need it. Anything beyond 6psi -> get a new pump
  2. Stock, the 97 Cobra has 24lb injectors, should I install bigger? Again, more than 6psi, yes
  3. Is the stock MAF ok? Stock MAF should be ok for 450hp according various websites.
  4. What rear gears is everyone running? 3.73
  5. KB website says it comes with a chip, will the car need a tune afterwards? Currently running with KB chip and car works great, atleast in dyno :D However like stated, custom tune is better which also i'm getting ..upcoming months

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
Quick update on where I'm at.

So I picked up a used KB.
Below is everything I've put together to go on the car.

MAF - Pro M80
CAI - Anderson Powerpipe
Injectors - 48lb
Fuel pump - Aeromotive #11542 - 340LPH
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator - Aeromotive #13102
Fuel Pressure Gauge - Aeromotive #15633
Meth Kit - AEM #30-3302
Spark Plugs - NKG TR6 4177
Lightning IAT Sensor
Ford Racing - boost, water temp, and oil pressure gauges
Steeda 180* T stat
New intake gaskets

Once it's all installed, the car will get dyno tuned.
Can't wait, so close now.

Rio_Cobra

Established Member
For anyone who buys a used Kenne Bell for a 96-98 Cobra, here is a list of the vacuum hoses that are needed:

1. Vacuum hoses
    1. 7/32” x 18” to old evap hose
    2. 7/32” x 14” to splitter
    3. 7/32” x 9” to vacuum line assembly
    4. 5/32” x 9”
    5. 5/8” x 8 ¾“ to IAC adapter
    6. ½” inside diameter x 20.5”
  2. Couplings
    1. 5/32” x 2
    2. 7/32” x 1

Users who are viewing this thread