Kenne Bell 2.6 or Whipple 2.3

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Looking into going from my ported Eaton to something a lil bigger. I always wanted a KB 2.2 because of the scream they produce but they no longer make them . I also thought of the new VMP but I’m not a fan of beating on my crossover tube to make it fit because i have mine chrome plated . So I’m looking at these two . I’m a real fan of loud whine so naturally I’m looking at KB but I’m hearing the 2.6 doesn’t have the scream like the 2.2’s did. A lot of guys say you don’t want a KB because they get hot , well every blower gets hot right? I have an Afro DP Heat exchanger also. You don’t hear about KB blowers that much but i still think they are good blowers. They’ve been around a long time.
Now for the Whipples, i was always interested in them but they are so quiet lol. I know that sounds dumb and that shouldn’t be a determining factor in a supercharger but it’s my car and just my taste i guess. So what are some opinions and experiences on the matter? I’m learning towards a polished KB 2.6 but just curious if anyone out there who is reading this has a KB 2.6 and how do you like them? Are they loud? Thanks guys !!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The newer blowers are quiet. I can kind of hear mine at WOT. But it's not going to scream. I think you're going to get the same performance out of either blower. I would choose on aesthetics at that point. It's one of the reasons I went Whipple. I've always liked how they looked polished.

03' White Snake

Established Member
If you spin them hard enough..... 20+ psi you will get some whine.

I run a 2.8h on my car. At idle you can hear the blower whining at stop lights ect. At WOT she screams but the exhaust is so loud it's hard to hear it, but outside the car you can hear it screaming. Like a fly by ect. I'm running 22 psi right now and plan to turn it up real soon.

I agree with above, its mainly a cosmetic preference. Both make good power. KB blowers are not mass produced and marketed like Whipple, that's why you don't see them plastered with sale ads or on the top ads on the forums.

IMO I like the look of a machined case vs cast, makes it look higher quality. All blowers get hot, so don't listen to the hype.

Hef

Established Member
If you spin them hard enough..... 20+ psi you will get some whine.

I run a 2.8h on my car. At idle you can hear the blower whining at stop lights ect. At WOT she screams but the exhaust is so loud it's hard to hear it, but outside the car you can hear it screaming. Like a fly by ect. I'm running 22 psi right now and plan to turn it up real soon.

I agree with above, its mainly a cosmetic preference. Both make good power. KB blowers are not mass produced and marketed like Whipple, that's why you don't see them plastered with sale ads or on the top ads on the forums.

IMO I like the look of a machined case vs cast, makes it look higher quality. All blowers get hot, so don't listen to the hype.
Not to hijack but you running 22psi on stock block?

cj428mach

Established Member
There are several solutions to the crossover problem on the 2.65. Buy a spare to modify which is what I did. Go with a crossover delete kit, or buy the whipple silicone crossover.

I'd look at the 2.3 tvs (they whine pretty good) or a new gen 3R 2.65 is coming out very soon.

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member

22 is nothing! Had 22lbs on my 124k mile motor and a whipple 2.9!

To OP have you thought about trying to find a VMP 2.3? should make more then the 2 mentioned above with no beating the cross over. I had a 2.3 whipple and made 560 on pump. Honestly thought the Eaton car was more fun with the low end Punch.

03' White Snake

Established Member

22 is nothing! Had 22lbs on my 124k mile motor and a whipple 2.9!

To OP have you thought about trying to find a VMP 2.3? should make more then the 2 mentioned above with no beating the cross over. I had a 2.3 whipple and made 560 on pump. Honestly thought the Eaton car was more fun with the low end Punch.

Stock block bored 0.020 over, new kellog crank, arp 2000 everything, custom pistons, cams ect. I plan on turning it up to 26 psi real soon.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Some of these questions regarding sound and really overall performance, vary greatly depending on the fuel used and how hard you're going to spin it. My 2.3 whipple is practically whisper quiet at 18psi.....but it absolutely screams at 22psi. Big difference. I'm not sure it's KB 2.2 20psi sound level.....but it will snap necks getting people's attention

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A friend wanted a ride in the old girl on Saturday. I received reports from people roughly 3/4 of mile away that they heard the little 2.2 singing its lungs out. hehe

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Try and find a used KB 2.2. Thats my vote. VMP 2.3 for number 2. Those are based off you implying you wanted to stay relatively small with blower size.
If size isn’t an issue and you want to have room to grow then I would go with a Gen5 Whiipple 3.0 first choice, and second choice would be a Gen4 Whipple 2.9 with the crusher inlet. Howeve a standard inlet 2.9 will still get you in the 700 rwhp area.

Ken

Rambro

Established Member
I just got my 2.9 so I now have a 2.3 whipple gen 2 for sale in the market section. Blower is currently still on the car and works flawlessly. And my 2.3 whipple screams with the 2.70 upper btw.

Users who are viewing this thread