Kenne Bell 2.2 Gen II

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
Just pulled the trigger on one of these and wanted to know the HP/TQ #'s out there on 19-20lbs of boost on pump 93 and Race gas C16/VP 110. Planned on getting it tuned at Fastlane Motorsports, NC in about 2 weeks.

Zemedici

Established Member
Supporting mods?

Buddy put down 550 @ 19lbs i believe on 93. Switched to e85 and put on longtubes and made 640ish

BO TY KLR

Established Member
My old 2.2 was 585 at 18# on 93 octane with17* timing everyday street tune. Made 615 at 20# on about 104 mix with 21* timing. That's stock long block with Mac 1 5/8 longtubes.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Just pulled the trigger on one of these and wanted to know the HP/TQ #'s out there on 19-20lbs of boost on pump 93 and Race gas C16/VP 110. Planned on getting it tuned at Fastlane Motorsports, NC in about 2 weeks.

Mike..... How'd you go from getting a 2.9 crusher to a 2.2? Big difference in power potential! I hope your "itch" will be satisfied with it! :beer:

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
Mike..... How'd you go from getting a 2.9 crusher to a 2.2? Big difference in power potential! I hope your "itch" will be satisfied with it! :beer:

It was a tuff decision, but i really thought about what i'm using the car for. It's a DD, and i won't run no more than 19-20 lbs of boost on pump 93. So the extra $3k + supporting fuel mods just didn't quite make sense for me. Later on down the line i might throw a 100 wet shot on it for the track. Or who knows maybe i'll sell the KB 2.2 if the right 2.9 whipple comes up for sale. Cant go wrong with that KB 2.2 whine:rockon:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Most research a product before buying it:shrug:

The power itch is NEVER satisfied. Im in the mid 6's and at times wish I had a little more

It was a tuff decision, but i really thought about what i'm using the car for. It's a DD, and i won't run no more than 19-20 lbs of boost on pump 93. So the extra $3k + supporting fuel mods just didn't quite make sense for me. Later on down the line i might throw a 100 wet shot on it for the track. Or who knows maybe i'll sell the KB 2.2 if the right 2.9 whipple comes up for sale. Cant go wrong with that KB 2.2 whine:rockon:

With all that deployment money you have made or SHOULD HAVE MADE, you could have bought a DD hooptie. Furthermore, you dont need $3k worth of fuel mods to run 19#s on a 2.9 or a TVS. With the potential of having to do a lot of maintence (sp) Ie sending it in for a rebuild and the heatsoak you are going to get off that 2.2, it would add up to the same amount of money if you would have gone with a whip or tvs

In any case though good luck and keep us posted when you get it on and tuned

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Wow.

Even at 600 you should consider more than just a Bap. And you look at some others over 600, your fuel system will limit you. You could have done a level 1 or budget kit. Didn't have to opt for a $2k kit.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Wow.

Even at 600 you should consider more than just a Bap. And you look at some others over 600, your fuel system will limit you. You could have done a level 1 or budget kit. Didn't have to opt for a $2k kit.

^
Exactly!
Horsepower and cheap don't go together. Save your money and do things once and the right way!

Ps..... The addiction never ends, you always want more!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Reading all of these posts is making me remember all of your old posts about fuel systems and 2.9 Whipples. Any reason you didnt pick up a used 2.3 Whipple over the 2.2? There are several people running over 600 with just a BAP, but I dont think its recommended.

Im assuming your car already has a wire upgrade, that should be a must on your list. At a minimum I would do the Ford GT pumps. My personal recommendation would be a basic return system as Jason suggested such as the "Budget" kit or the Fore system.

Whatever you decide make sure you keep us posted. As you mentioned the KBs sound amazing. The guys over at Fastlane know their stuff so your car is in good hands.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
stock longblock, BBK 1 5/8 LT's, mac off-road prochamber, Mac 3"in exhaust, 80lb injectors, accufab SBTB, JLT Gen II High boost intake, and KB BAP. also have upgraded clutch, 26 spline T-56, etc.

I have longtubes, o/r prochamber, magnapacks, sbtb... etc. just about the same setup but with a c&l intake and made numbers in sig with a 3" upper/2lb. lower at about 19psi at Fastlane. My 2.2 KB is a gen1 but the only difference is the breather setup.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would sell the 2.2 as people pay way more than they're worth and then buy a 2.3 Whipple or a TVS. I think you could sell and get the whipple for the same money, or a used tvs for a few $100 more. The 2.2's sound cool but the heat soak and rebuilds aren't worth it.

Last edited:

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member

Wishful thinking lol. He'll have a completely different Cobra by next weekend :poke:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
KB 2.2 is the only blower I'll ever have on my car. Once I heard one in person, I was hooked!

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
^
Exactly!
Horsepower and cheap don't go together. Save your money and do things once and the right way!

Ps..... The addiction never ends, you always want more!

I still plan on upgrading the fuel system, just couldn't justify the crusher setup plus fuel system for my needs/goals:shrug:

Wishful thinking lol. He'll have a completely different Cobra by next weekend :poke:

With this hobby nobody stays content for too long:nono:

I would sell the 2.2 as people pay way more than they're worth and then buy a 2.3 Whipple or a TVS. I think you could sell and get the whipple for the same money, or a used tvs for a few $100 more. The 2.2's sound cool but the heat soak and rebuilds aren't worth it.

I thought about getting a 2.3 whipple or TVS, but they were still going for Brand New prices and i got a pretty good deal on the KB 2.2. But like everything else if someone like the KB 2.2 more then i do then for the right price I'll sell that.

cj428mach

Established Member
I still plan on upgrading the fuel system, just couldn't justify the crusher setup plus fuel system for my needs/goals:shrug:

With this hobby nobody stays content for too long:nono:

I thought about getting a 2.3 whipple or TVS, but they were still going for Brand New prices and i got a pretty good deal on the KB 2.2. But like everything else if someone like the KB 2.2 more then i do then for the right price I'll sell that.

TVS yes, but the Whipples are fairly cheap. They can be had for $22-2500. I would part with my whipple for $2500 and had a guy lined up but I backed out. I'm going to wait until VMP figures out if they're going to release an EGR equipped TVS before I sell mine. 2.2's sound cool but they're really just billet grenades. Not something I want sitting above my motor.

D-MANN

Established Member
Being a member since 05 I must of missed the threads on 2.2's being billet grenades. I had a 2.6H and not a single problem with it. I could see wanting a rebuild on a 2.2 or 2.4 since they havent been made in years and used one might want to freshen it up. As far as them grenading i think thats a bit over board.

Users who are viewing this thread