Kenne Bell 2.1 Intercooler [build log]

mlackke

Established Member
Well, my original plan was working on this asap, but then came addional delays plus I have been planning to upgrade cams somepoint, so I decided to do big upgrade instead:

- fabricate new manifold for new IC (once this is ready, i will put my current one for sale ...reasonable price :whistle:)
- new IC pump (Pierburg) + all water hoses need to be changed from 1/2" > 3/4"
- install smaller pulley
- relocate IAT sensor, because i think current location is not optimal measuring temprature changes
- change bypass hose, current one gets squeezed with high vacuum.
- change valve cover gaskets, current ones are leaking and getting worse every day
- cam work (chain guides/adjustable gears..etc), just bit wondering what cams to gets, can't get super aggerssive since need to pass smog test.

So all this 2022 spring :)

Serfma

Established Member
Brotha I just read up on this, I have a KB 2.1 coming in a couple weeks, super excited to see where you go because I'd be definitely interested in buying one! :)

Hyped to see where it goes from here!

mlackke

Established Member
Still bit in grey area when I will do proper update (next few weeks~), but either way, little sneak peek:

IMG_20220523_085508_copy_1843x896.jpg

mlackke

Established Member
Finally back in business. Since last year I was not happy with performance of current intercooler, but in otherhand the core itself is from Ford Transit air condition heat exchanger which is not ment to cool massive heat from supercharger. It keeps small boost ..8psi~ with 93 under control, so alteast compared KB without this ,you are not running 200+ air temps in manifold. Anyway this lead that i wanted to use proper intercooler, however after long search i concluded there was no ready intercooler even with some fabrication i could use where price/performance would make sense.

So i ordered biggest intercooler from Bell what I could still fit inside KB manifold, this had almost 3x more capacity than current one and more than VMP Termi intercooler. Things looked good, expect once core arrived in September, i realized intercooler was too thick. Space after and before intercooler in manifold was quarter of inch and this probably would have limited the brick performance aswell the airflow. I had either options, buy 2nd intercooler, but less thick or raise manifold height, which would be very costly option.

Decided to go back to drawing board and I started to think why engine manifold sits so high eg compared to Termis and is there anything i could remove to lower it. And yes there is:
- IMRC plates > 1 inch added height
- Kenne bell manifold base plate thickness > 1/2 inch added height.

So removing these two, I could get 1.5 inch more space. Obviously I can't ditch the IMRC plates completely, because fuel injectors are attached to them and if I take bottom off from KB, I need to make new base plate between imrc plates,...so simply in nutshell I needed to build almost completely custom made manifold for new intercooler :eek:

Bit of Budweiser and learning 3d-modeling in 24 hours, i came up this:
1654588185179.png

Idea is that new intercooler could now completely rest top of IMRC plates (or maybe little space between) and bit of CNC machine work we can remove metal from IMRC plates allow air to flow.

However after having long discussions of fabrication, it came clear we did not have all required tools (such as tig welder), and expenses would increase significantly, partly since our lovely neighbour country leader decided to visit Ukrain :mad: But this point, 3 years gone, finishing this no matter what :unsure:

Anyway bit forward in time and about a month ago plates came and quick visit local CNC shop:
1654588956779.png

...more to follow soon :)

Last edited:

mlackke

Established Member
So obviously just an base of manifold is not enough, i need the full box, but now lot of variables comes to play, however i still tried to model the final product:

15064620.jpg

15064621.jpg

But enough theory and the math, let's get to work.

Old intercooler disassembly
15062956.jpg

15062947.jpg

This one will come for sale after finishing current one (don't PM me about upcoming sale, i don't have time to respond) . Also i have ditched idea making these per order for same reason => too much stuff going on.

15062959.jpg

Next update probably around end of the month. Cheers.

mlackke

Established Member
Currently box is about 70% ready, main structure is in place however bunch of things still to do:

- TIG welding was not super success, lot of needle size holes where air was leaking out. Currently in-progress put some JB weld those holes.

- Bypass and IAT sensor holes still missing

- Mounting holes of supercharger lid missing

15073387.jpg

15073388.jpg

But yeah, target is to get first test run in next couple of weeks.

mlackke

Established Member
Small update:

All installation done and initial test run done:
outside 60f,
IAT2 before pull: 111f
IAT2 after pull: 116f

Bad:
intake manifold gaskets have vacuums leaks, need to address that next.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you find some heat dissipating intake manifold gaskets?
Wrap the bottom of intake with heat reflective film?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread