Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
Hey guys its that time for me to get a new tv. Right now I'm looking at the XBR9 and the EX700 Mainly because both are internet capable and both are around the same price the XBR9 was $3400 when it came out in 09 but they are on closeout from some places for 1600, and then the EX700 was 2100 at the beginning of the year but I can get one for 1799 at the px which one would you get? If not these two please tell me which you would get? It must be around the same price point and have similar features.

XBR9- is a 2009 model but it is top of the line, I was told it is as good as you can get with just LCD Sony KDL-52XBR9 (kdl52xbr9) - TVs - Sonic Electronix

EX700- this one is a edge lit LED but it has a few more thing that the 09 models did not have Sony - BRAVIA 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV - KDL52EX700

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
go with your gut man, we did that at FT Sam px...was hard but we both agreed

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
why do they suck? they seem to get good reviews.

That TV actually got mediocre reviews. Edge lit LED's cast uneven light on the screen (and the bigger the screen the worse it is), it makes the blacks murky and uneven, and makes for inaccurate colors. Backlit, local dimming LED's are the only ones I'd consider.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
I saw that CNET didn't like it much but I try not to listen to alot they say in my opinion they are biased, but I do go to AVS.com and alot of the guys there like it so thats what I was basing reviews off of, I think I've decided on the XBR9 tho because I saw one that was calibrated and it blew almost any tv out of the water....better than all but the top of the line LED's

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Keep in mind that TV tech is still growing, and $2K spent on a tv that will prob be outdated in 2 years is A LOT!

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
put some thought and reading into plasma before you buy.

You can't match the picture quality of plasma with any LCD for the money

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
Have had 2 Plasmas one pioneer and one Panny both were great unitl about a year both of them had a shading problem where blacks became grays

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I would try and get a back lit LED. Side lit isnt bad but back lit will cast more even lighting.

Have you looked at samsungs LEDs or even plasma's.

I just sold a 63" Samsung Plasma to a customer. He wanted a 65" LED but they were not out yet. So far he is happy. Oh and not to mention its a 3D tv and just as thin as a LED. :uh oh:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Have had 2 Plasmas one pioneer and one Panny both were great unitl about a year both of them had a shading problem where blacks became grays

Model #'s of both??

Not quite sure what your meaning to say when you say "shading" and "black's become grays" b/c that's really 2 different problems. Black Level Rise is a common problem with the '09 Panny's but the '10's are a little better at this problem. Some encounter the problem and some don't. It's hit or miss with this...just like it's hit or miss with Samsungs buzz issues. Given your Panasonic wasn't one of the lower end ones...even if the black's did rise a tad, your still well under what most tv's would be at. And I've never heard of any Pioneers having this problem, but this is a case where your black levels would still be darker or right on the darkest measured blacks today. Pioneers still hold the #1 spot for measure black level today...and they don't even make them anymore! Unless your looking to spend $$$, and even then your going to run into just as many and maybe more problems, I suggest taking a look at Plasma's. I'm guessing your budget is right around $1700 and you want in the 50+ range??

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member

Model #'s of both??

Not quite sure what your meaning to say when you say "shading" and "black's become grays" b/c that's really 2 different problems. Black Level Rise is a common problem with the '09 Panny's but the '10's are a little better at this problem. Some encounter the problem and some don't. It's hit or miss with this...just like it's hit or miss with Samsungs buzz issues. Given your Panasonic wasn't one of the lower end ones...even if the black's did rise a tad, your still well under what most tv's would be at. And I've never heard of any Pioneers having this problem, but this is a case where your black levels would still be darker or right on the darkest measured blacks today. Pioneers still hold the #1 spot for measure black level today...and they don't even make them anymore! Unless your looking to spend $$$, and even then your going to run into just as many and maybe more problems, I suggest taking a look at Plasma's. I'm guessing your budget is right around $1700 and you want in the 50+ range??

And please don't ever go off of anything CNET does....

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member

1. Don't EVAR! trust anything CNET puts out...
2. If you think the xbr9 looks better than anything other than a top of the line LED, I would love to see your face when you saw a professionally calibrated (no not Best Buy) PRO-111FD or 500M, etc. :-D

Model #'s of both your sets??

Not quite sure what your meaning to say when you say "shading" and "black's become grays" b/c that's really 2 different problems. Black Level Rise is a common problem with the '09 Panny's but the '10's are a little better at this problem. Some encounter the problem and some don't. It's hit or miss with this...just like it's hit or miss with Samsungs buzz issues. Given your Panasonic wasn't one of the lower end ones...even if the black's did rise a tad, your still well under what most tv's would be at. And I've never heard of any Pioneers having this problem, but this is a case where your black levels would still be darker or right on the darkest measured blacks today. Pioneers still hold the #1 spot for measure black level today...and they don't even make them anymore! Unless your looking to spend $$$, and even then your going to run into just as many and maybe more problems, I suggest taking a look at Plasma's. On the black level subject, you can make your black's darker and most people think they can just eyeball the blacks darker and darker but your sacrificing shadow detail and developing black crush on your set. I'm guessing your budget is right around $1700 and you want in the 50+ range??

Last edited:

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
Have you seen a calibrated XBR9? It is bad ass! as for the model numbers I had the Pioneer 5020FD as for the panny it was P58V10 like a said both GReat tv's but you could tell as time went on the the pq was getting worse, I still have the pioneer its in the bedroom but the panny broke 3 times on me while it was under warranty so I got rid of it.......also did you really have to post it 3 times lol:beer:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Edge lit LED LCD's suck.

That TV actually got mediocre reviews. Edge lit LED's cast uneven light on the screen (and the bigger the screen the worse it is), it makes the blacks murky and uneven, and makes for inaccurate colors. Backlit, local dimming LED's are the only ones I'd consider.

put some thought and reading into plasma before you buy.

You can't match the picture quality of plasma with any LCD for the money

I love you guys =)

You need to do some research. If it is that vastly noticeable then something is wrong with the TV itself.

During tests, the Panasonics black levels only depleted by 1/2 from 0.008 ft lamberts to 0.016 ft. lamberts on their tested v10.

To give you an example, a nice samsung LCD has a TRUE contrast ratio of about 1900. The panasonic at 0.008 has a true contrast ratio of about 9000. Even with the blacks "Aging" to 0.016, that still gives you a contrast ratio of about 4500. Still DOUBLE the lcd.

Follow-up: Panasonic plasma black-level loss measured in long-term test | Crave - CNET

DO NOT go by the lies of 5,000,000 contrast ratios. LCD's are JUNK and typically do no more than 2,000 in ACTUAL use. Panasonic's have the best true contrast ratios usually in the 8000-9000 range.

also, every TV's colors distort over time. Just like your car gets slower the more miles you put on it. Even an LCD's blacks will become less black in time.

Have you seen a calibrated XBR9? It is bad ass!

no, its not. Just because the colors are better than out of the box doesnt mean its amazing. Not to mention, calibration doesnt fix its image lag.

Users who are viewing this thread