KB to VMP the results

kw_rc

Established Member
I wanted to share my experience with the masses on how my switch from a KB 2.8LC to a VMP Gen II went. With one disclaimer, all runs were on the same Mustang Dynamometer by the same shop and all tuning has been done by Lund. I’ll fill you in the disclaimer part shortly.

It’s important to note up front that my decision to swap was not because I did not like my KB nor was it because I thought I’d get more power from a [VMP] TVS. It was merely to switch back to a stock hood – no more, no less. My car already had more power than I would ever need. I just wanted to switch up the look and rock the stock hood. So let’s get to the interesting stuff!

I’ll provide you information about the 4 separate tuning sessions and the mods list. This will include the very first dyno when the car was stock.

THE CAR: 2012 GT500 Convertible with PP and 3.73 gears.

All runs were with Exxon 93 octane – no additives.

Here is the timeline of my car and the changes.

=========================
STOCK SETUP
MODS: None

HP: 482
TQ: 437
BOOST: 9.6

KB SETUP
MODS:
2.8LC w/3-inch pulley
75MM TB
Gimme 5 Intake
ARH LT’s w/OR H-pipe
Borla Touring Abs
ID1000’s
C&R HE
Roush 3x Reservoir
170 Thermostat
NGK TR6
Bob’s Catch Can

HP: 667
TQ: 578
BOOST: 18.3

1 Dyno - KB - Stock - Overlay - MustangDyno.png

DISCLAIMER TIME:
I had NSR cams installed by another shop. That is the only change. Of course, Lund re-tuned. They used a DynoJet for these numbers.

HP: 738
TQ: 622
BOOST: 17.0

2 Dyno - KB - NSR - DynoJet.jpg

VMP SETUP
MODS:
Same as KB except:
Gen II w/2.4
VMP 67mm TB
JLT 123 CAI
L&M NSR Cams

HP: 693
TQ: 609
BOOST: 18.0

3 Dyno - TVS - NSR - MustangDyno.jpg

RESULTS COMPARISON:

Value/SetupStockKB 2.8LCNSR’s DynoJetNSR’s*AdjustedVMP Gen II
HP482667738717693
TQ437578622???609
BOOST9.618.3171718.0

*Adjusted numbers… Due to the cams being installed, I was never able to get a pull on the Mustang Dyno so I don’t know what actual numbers were. However, L&M advertises 50hp gain. If I use that as the benchmark, then my car would have theoretically made 717rwhp (667 + 50) on the Mustang Dyno.

SUMMARY:
Based on this data, it appears that the Gen II did not produce as much power as the KB. I would surmise that the Gen II does edge the KB in the torque department by a few lb/ft. Also, please note the KB was only pushing 17lbs while the Gen II was pushing 18lbs of boost.

I’m not at all disappointed as the car is still “crazy” fast. I had no predisposition about what to expect. These are MY real-world results. It shows both are potent options to make power. My KB setup was flawless. I hope the Gen II will be as gratifying.

***Dyno sheets uploaded.

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Great info.
I think it would be even better if you post the dyno graphs as they tell us how the power is being delivered. I certainly would like to see the difference.

Blackmax

Established Member
I'm a believer the only way to possibly compare two blowers is to swap the blowers within a couple of hours and cool the motor down to the same temperature. Different dyno's on different days is not accurate, I bet you take the same car and blower on the same dyno a week later and get a way different result.

Sirraf

Established Member
Good comparison here. I would also like to see dyno graphs if possible. You would think the competition would step their game up and lower their prices since VMP is killing everything underneath 3 liters.

Joewee500

Established Member
Thanks for posting the results. I gotta say the numbers are hard to believe. You said the Gen2 edged out the KB in tq but where are the higher tq numbers for the gen2, they look lower than the KB. I don't know if I've ever seen a tvs make KB tq lol. I'd like some of the smarter more knowledgeable guys to weigh in. As long as you're happy with the car that's all that matters. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to get the parts that drop the engine and run the KB with stock hood rather than buy a new supercharger? My 2.8 was on with stock hood.

kw_rc

Established Member
Thanks for posting the results. I gotta say the numbers are hard to believe.

Believe what you want but I'm providing fact-based data not "claims".

You said the Gen2 edged out the KB in tq but where are the higher tq numbers for the gen2, they look lower than the KB.

That's why I "surmised" the torque as I don't know what the adjusted value would have been since I didn't perform a pull on a Mustang Dyno after the cams were installed. I would assume there would have been a gain in torque but I have no basis for determining this value.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to get the parts that drop the engine and run the KB with stock hood rather than buy a new supercharger?

Absolutely, but this was not an option for me or I would have done it from the get-go. My car has LT's, is lowered, and I have a funky driveway so lowering the engine wasn't going to work.

kw_rc

Established Member
Maybe it was explained but where did the Mustang Dyno come into play? Were both the KB and VMP TVS tested on the same Dyno?

Yes, the same Mustang Dyno was used for all pulls except for the one where I had the cams installed (they only used a DynoJet).

TVS VERT

Established Member
I feel bad for guys swapping out a 2.8 KB for a Gen2 TVS and makes less power .... 1 step forward , 2 steps back.

Great info OP , as long as your happy that's all that matters

kw_rc

Established Member
I feel bad for guys swapping out a 2.8 KB for a Gen2 TVS and makes less power .... 1 step forward , 2 steps back.

Great info OP , as long as your happy that's all that matters

If there was a like button I would have "liked" it - lol.

one_slow_svt

Good info, this is pretty fair data compared to the normal stuff you find on the interwebz...oh, and thanks for the KB kw_rc!

Joewee500

Established Member
I have long tubes, lowered but no funky driveway. I'm not disputing your facts. There are just some holes. Different dynos and days and crazy low tq for a tvs. So how's the seat of the pants difference?

one_slow_svt

I believe that all blowers have their pros and cons. The TVS is probably the best "bang for your buck" option out there but there are far more factors to take into account when you start thinking about goals and usage of a supercharger. This is just my opinion though

Users who are viewing this thread