K&N Replacement Filter Test Part 2 : Magnuson Supercharged

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...filter-test-part-2-magnuson-supercharged.html

Spoiler Alert : If you haven't seen our first K&N vs. stock paper filter test yet you really should take a minute to go back and read it: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ance-2012-gt-k-n-replacement-filter-test.html

Just to recap our findings from last time, on the SVTP 2012 Yellow Blaze SVTP 2012 Mustang GT Mustang GT (in bone stock condition) we actually lost horsepower by switching to a drop-in replacement K&N air filter. We were quite surprised by the results, but they are what they are. However, since we're the type to never leave anything alone we decided to run this little experiment again. But there's a twist, this time the SVTP GT is supercharged. We found ourselves yet again taking advantage of the advanced Superflow chassis dyno at Arrington Performance. The two filters from the previous test are being reused. The only differences are the addition of 7psi of boost courtesy of our 2.3L TVS-Based Magnuson Supercharger, and the fact that we ran the K&N filter first before switching to stocker. All this should make these supercharged results directly comparable to our previous N/A numbers. Follow along for the results:

This the underhood view of the SVTP GT since the addition of our Magnuson supercharger.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_008.jpg

The Magnuson retains the stock airbox, which will be the subject of our next article.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_010.jpg

Here you can see the silicone elbow that connects the airbox lid/MAF housing to the throttle body.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_012.jpg

The subject of today's test. It appears to be endorsed by Ford Racing.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_001.jpg

The part number for those who may be interested.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_002.jpg

As it comes out of the box.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_003.jpg

The heavy rubber construction of the K&N is far more robust than the stock filter's foam rubber.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_004.jpg

Here you can see the physical height difference of the two filters.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_005.jpg

Fitment of the stock filter.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_006.jpg

Fitment of the K&N filter.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_007.jpg

This is our best run with the K&N filter, 507.1HP 420.2TQ.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_013.jpg

This is our best run with the stock filter, 512.9HP 428.4TQ.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_014.jpg

This a comparison of the best runs with both filters.

2012_GT_K&N Test_Part_2_015.jpg

We ran a total of three back-to-back runs with each filter, with the following results:

K&N Filter
499.4HP 421.5TQ
507.1HP 420.2TQ
487.0HP 416.1TQ

Stock Filter
512.9HP 428.4TQ
501.7HP 413.6TQ
504.3HP 410.1TQ

With results like these all I can really do is re-post my conclusion from the previous article, as it is an equally appropriate wrap-up of the findings in our K&N tests in both N?A and supercharged applications:

I believe it’s safe to say that at the very least you will not see a tangible power gain with simply a drop-in filter. However, that’s not really the purpose of that type of filter. It is intended help save you money by being washable and reusable instead of disposable like the stock filter. Whether you’ll own your vehicle long enough recoup the initial investment is a question of usage. If you rack up a lot of miles or drive in dusty conditions a drop-in K&N filter may be worth it for you, but not if you’re looking for more power.

Special Thanks To:

Arrington Performance.

StacyStangz Photography

Sidebar - Some of the photos used above were taken before the supercharger was installed on the car.

- SID297 - :beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Great article. I wonder if part of why the stock paper filter flows better is the extra surface area. I noticed how much deeper it is than the K&N filter.

ViciousJay

Established Member
curious if the oil on the filter is acting like a block to the air flow, kind of like blowing threw a tp role with a driersheet inside vs a ream of paper towels

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Great article. I wonder if part of why the stock paper filter flows better is the extra surface area. I noticed how much deeper it is than the K&N filter.

curious if the oil on the filter is acting like a block to the air flow, kind of like blowing threw a tp role with a driersheet inside vs a ream of paper towels

I don't have a real answer why the results are what they are. I could really be one of several things.

Stryker27

2Vbeliever
Established Member
This sort of comparison is exactly why I want to replace the KN cone that i have to clean and oil with a toss away paper cone. I'm gonna go looking for one. They are hard to find with a 4"opening tho. great reveiw.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Very interesting!!!

I would like to see how a non-oiled highflow filter will do and even no filter. My reasoning for no filter is I remember when the '03 Cobra came out, they gained like 10+ hp without the filter vs the stock filter.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Ya know, this is kinda like that book / radio show / pod cast "Freakonomics" where they often show that statistically speaking a lot of stuff we believe to be axiomatically true b/c we never give it much thought is actually false ( my favorite is the fact that people are actually something like 5x more likely to have a serious accident walking home drunk than driving! ).

At any rate, as we all struggle to explain this paradigm shift we appear to be encountering here, I'll just throw out I wonder if there is a significant difference in the surface area the metal mesh/grate takes up on the K&N filter vs the paper filter?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member

Please note that the paper filter made more power, but that does not necessarily mean the power comes from increased flow. The only way to prove flow is with a flow bench. As SID mentioned in another thread, removing the air filter entirely would also result in lower power (due to turbulence in the airstream over the mass air sensor).

However, the power is the important measureable, not flow.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
That is awesome that it still made more power! Is it me or do the maggie pulleys always look out of place on their kits?

fnsweetroush

Established Member
I agree that supercharger looks pretty ugly to me but it made great power so whatever works right? also in the info on the supercharger blade design it said that this charger would be quieter than the kb's. I think I can speak for almost everyone on this forum that the sound of a kb pushing 15psi or more of boost sounds awesome!:rockon:

RFM50

Established Member
Thanks again Sid for running this test. Now my question of the day is, I just recieved a paxton kit and it came with a drop in k&N. Would you guys use the drop in K&N or stick to the stock paper filter. Also are there any plans to test an aftermark open element filter like the jlt? I am really starting to wonder if its a total was of money.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
have you considered testing the AFE drop in? theres drops into the box deeper than the K&N.

This was kind of a spur of the moment type thing. We only did this test because we happened to have all the parts and had a few extra minutes. If aFe sent a filter I'd test it. They make good products. The SVTP F-350 has one of their intakes.

I agree that supercharger looks pretty ugly to me but it made great power so whatever works right? also in the info on the supercharger blade design it said that this charger would be quieter than the kb's. I think I can speak for almost everyone on this forum that the sound of a kb pushing 15psi or more of boost sounds awesome!:rockon:

I actually like the way the blower looks, but I know its looks aren't for everyone. It's definitely quieter than a KB. Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual. I do like the sound of the KB on my Lightning though.

Thanks again Sid for running this test. Now my question of the day is, I just recieved a paxton kit and it came with a drop in k&N. Would you guys use the drop in K&N or stick to the stock paper filter. Also are there any plans to test an aftermark open element filter like the jlt? I am really starting to wonder if its a total was of money.

Here are the two CAI articles we have released:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-love-jlt-painted-plastic-intake-install.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...hing-treatment-airaid-mxp-intake-install.html

If you're talking about testing an open filter on a supercharged application, we'll have that article up next Tuesday.:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
This sort of comparison is exactly why I want to replace the KN cone that i have to clean and oil with a toss away paper cone. I'm gonna go looking for one. They are hard to find with a 4"opening tho. great reveiw.

I think this article relates more towards the stock replacement panel in a 11+, and not a cone set up or previous model kits.

RFM50

Established Member
Ya I want to see if the cone replacement makes a difference on a supercharger. The Paxton already comes with a different tube assembly and the jlt just replaces the box and filter pretty much. It almost sounds like it won't be worth it. I'm just wondering if you get to a certain boost, will the factory paper filter become restrictive.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
one thing i really noticed on the dyno pulls compared to last time was how much different the K&N numbers were each pull. at one pull there was a 20HP gap between the 1st an last pull with the K&N. with the paper filter is was much closer from pull to pull worst case was an 11HP difference. maybe the oil on the K&N is causing something.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the person who mentioned the mesh or metal grate on the K&N may be on to something. I do not see how the deeper filter would be better. Maybe the depth helps smooths out turbulence?

I would think it has something to do with less cross surface area of the K&N though. I know it would be hard but, it somehow the actual cross area for flow of the stock vs K&N could be measures that could possibly shed some light on the issue.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I think the person who mentioned the mesh or metal grate on the K&N may be on to something. I do not see how the deeper filter would be better. Maybe the depth helps smooths out turbulence?

I would think it has something to do with less cross surface area of the K&N though. I know it would be hard but, it somehow the actual cross area for flow of the stock vs K&N could be measures that could possibly shed some light on the issue.

A deeper filter has longer "fins" for lack of better word and more surface area. More surface area means more flow.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
A deeper filter has longer "fins" for lack of better word and more surface area. More surface area means more flow.

I understand it has more overall surface area but, would all that surface area actually be used? I am not sure how to explain what I mean and am thinking. I would think just the cross area would matter not necessarilly the dpeth of the fins.

I am not discrediting what you said, I have no mechanical background and am really just learning this stuff. You could be a mechanical engineer for all I know. It does not make much sense to me how the depth could make for better airflow when you are limited by the area of the filter that is closest to the engine in terms of airflow. I hope that sorta makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread