K&N FIPK Question...

Sonic03svt

Established Member
I recently ran my car and pulled a 12.913 at 111.54 mph. The only modifications that I have are a 2.93rr upper pulley, Flowmaster cat-back, custom predator program, and a K&N replacement filter (not the kit, just the filter with the silencer removed).

Anyway, the car just does not feel that strong. Is there really any gain between the replacement filter vs. the kit?

I'm just a little concerned, because it just doesn't feel all that strong. It feels almost stock.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

O4COBRA

Established Member
Well speaking from personal experience, I noticed a huge difference with the FIPK over my PHP (Steeda) intake! Now I know there is a difference from stock to the PHP, so I would guess there would be a huge difference from stock to FIPK! Stock motors have been getting anywhere from 15-20 rwhp, and modded motors even more! So if you have the mods you say you have, I can't beleive you have waited this long to get an intake for it! You will notice a big difference in performance, just get one and see!!:burnout:

Fleck 5

Established Member
HP

The K&N FIPK kit gains between 25-31 RWHP over stock depending on the source. K&N claims 30.8 on their web page. They even give you the dyno chart. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords recently tested the kit themselves because they didn't believe the claims. The got a 26 HP gain with the hood closed and 30 HP with the hood open. Hot rod magazine claimed a 26 HP gain. I put one on my car and it works great. You will not get a better bang for your buck. It looks pretty cool too.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Just curious, is this one different than the one they tested about 1 1/2 years ago when the Cobra first hit the streets, they tested a kit for an 01 and made less power than the UPR, hence the reason I got the UPR instead. Now I read of all these great gains from this sucker AND easy servicability. I want one!

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
my car dynoed 367 bone stock. and after the k&n fipk and magnaflow catback it dynoed 411 std.

MP3_Stang

LabVIEW Guru
Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
Just curious, is this one different than the one they tested about 1 1/2 years ago when the Cobra first hit the streets, they tested a kit for an 01 and made less power than the UPR, hence the reason I got the UPR instead. Now I read of all these great gains from this sucker AND easy servicability. I want one!

Yes the New K&N (2003-2004) kit is different from the 99-2001 cobra kit, which is what people were using before the 2003-2004 kit was released. The 99-2001 kit has a MAF adapter inside diameter of 85mm or about. Any ways it was smaller then our MAF which is 90mm. In the new 2003- 2004 K&N kit the adapter is 90mm inside diameter, and the filter is larger then the 99-2001 kit.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Good info thanks... Seriously considering switching up for hp and servicability ease.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I felt the difference right away after I put on my K&N FIPK.

With the K&N FIPK as my only mod, the car dynod at 398 rwhp. Unfortunately, I don't have a base dyno to compare, but you get the idea.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
If you are thinking of getting it, get it. It is a great CAI. I had a stock dyno of 372 SAE. Then added a FR500 catback & went to a different dyno. I got 362 SAE:shrug: (this is with a dip in my A/F, I think that caused the low #) Then added my K&N FIPK, went back to the dyno I got my stock reading on & pulled 391 SAE. So if you go from my catback #'s to my newest ones I picked up 29 SAE rwhp from the K&N FIPK.

I'm tempted to put my stock catback on & see what I get, but all these dyno's gets expensive.

Sonic03svt

Established Member
I guess, what I'm asking is...Is there a difference than the drop-in K&N and the kit. I have the silencer removed with a K&N, but I'm not too sure what the difference is?

I mean, is the difference the box that the filter sets in? Is the filter bigger? Etc.

I guess that I don't understand when its the same MAF and the same type of filter...

Last edited:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I just put one on last Friday and I cannot believe the difference in throttle respone and blower whine. I'm getting a dyno this weekend to see how much my Magnaflow and the K&N added. I'm hoping for 400+ from my base of 372.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic03svt
I guess, what I'm asking is...Is there a difference than the drop-in K&N and the kit. I have the silencer removed with a K&N, but I'm not too sure what the difference is?

I mean, is the difference the box that the filter sets in? Is the filter bigger? Etc.

I guess that I don't understand when its the same MAF and the same type of filter...

It is a bigger filter & has more air flow going to it. I never did the drop in, just replaced the stock airbox with the FIPK, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people post that they switched from a drop in to the full kit & saw a big difference in the seat-o-meter.

Sonic03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by MystiChrome Coupe
It is a bigger filter & has more air flow going to it. I never did the drop in, just replaced the stock airbox with the FIPK, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people post that they switched from a drop in to the full kit & saw a big difference in the seat-o-meter.

Thanks! That was my thinking, and that's what I am hoping for...the seat-o-meter response. I think that I'm just going to have to get it and find out for myself. Thanks for you input.:thumbsup:

Jason

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
engine-passenger-side.jpg

kandn2.jpg

engine-front.jpg

fubu795

Banned
I installed one on my buddies car and he loves it. The directions they give you are for shit, we had to basically piece everything together. If I didn't already have the UPR CAI I'd definitly get it :)

whtsnake03

Established Member
I didn't think the instructions were that bad. They could have been better, but I figured it out without any problems.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Honestly I didn't notice a SOTP diff after my install. However, I did pick up 1.5psi of boost and the blower whine is louder. I bought this set up because K&N is the leader in the aftermarket filter industry and all the tests show this CAI gives great HP gains. With the K&N AirCharger and Magnaflow CB my car dyno'd at 399HP & 381TQ SAE so i'm happy but have no baseline dyno to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread