K&N filter in my F-150,MPG??????

KEVINC66

Established Member
I have a 2007 F-150 with a automatic and 4.2v,just installed a K&N filter,curious on what will be affected.I suspect the MPG will go up slightly,acceleration and response might improve.Any opinions would be appreciated.Thanks.

Fuerza

Established Member
Here is my own personal opinion in drop in reusable air filters. Their main purpose is to prevent you from wasting money on paper filters when its time to change out filters. The CFM flow rating is increased on a K&N filter, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on a magical HP/TQ increase. The filter may net you 1 mpg better fuel economy, but even that could be due to changes in your driving style. I put a drop in K&N filter in my new F150 simply for the reasons of not needing to ever buy paper filters in the future.

If you really want more power and better gas mileage out of your truck, I would suggest a good quality CAI and a custom tune for either power or fuel economy.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^I have a K&N CAI that's specifically for my truck and an X-Cal II. We made changes about every other tank to get the best mpg. It only took about 6 months lol. It's up to about 13.6 lately with mostly city like driving.

KEVINC66

Established Member
Here is my own personal opinion in drop in reusable air filters. Their main purpose is to prevent you from wasting money on paper filters when its time to change out filters. The CFM flow rating is increased on a K&N filter, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on a magical HP/TQ increase. The filter may net you 1 mpg better fuel economy, but even that could be due to changes in your driving style. I put a drop in K&N filter in my new F150 simply for the reasons of not needing to ever buy paper filters in the future.

If you really want more power and better gas mileage out of your truck, I would suggest a good quality CAI and a custom tune for either power or fuel economy.

Thanks for the reply.Yea I really hav'nt been concerned about the MPG for the truck,hav'nt done anything to it yet,I have a 00GTVERT with a 03 Mach engine that I tinker with to satisfy my modding habit,lol lol.I get curious everytime I do anything to my vehicles.I'll post the numbers in about a week or two.I'm getting 20MPG now on mixed highway/city driving,as far as getting a CAI I have to watch,Ford said if I did that it would void my 6 year/75,000 mile warrenty.So I was thinking of getting a CAI that I could take off easily if I have any warrenty work done.

JWC

Established Member
I have an 08 F150 S/Crew Lariat 4 x 4 with the 5.4 and I get 16.4 -16.7 mpg with an X3 with custom dyno tuning, AF 1 3.5" CAI, and Roush exhaust. This is with city/country driving. Stock the truck averaged 13 -14.5 MPG. Oh.... and I picked up 44 RWHP before the exhaust which was a few weeks after the dyno tuning. I would say with just a K&N your mileage will not change.

KEVINC66

Established Member
I will say this much,since I put the K&N in, the engine seems to drive a little smoother maybe I'm imagining things,lol lol.

svt4cobra6

just picked up a 2000 f150 5.4 extended cab with 60k miles. The truck was well taken care of. I did the airbox mod (took off the silencer and cut a portion of the box away) and installed a drop in K and N filter. Anyhow just wondering what mileage I should expect when driven easily and not towing.
thanks. It also has a magnaflow mufler and dual exhaust past the muffler.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Our EB 5.4 Expedition did not pick up any MPG. I put it on last year @ 31K miles. 18K miles later nothing changed. :shrug:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I noticed an immediate improvement in performance when I cleaned my K&N.

Then again it came with the truck so I have no clue how it would have run without it. :lol1:

99 cobra lover

Established Member
decals

hey

Thats funny decals do make a vehicle faster. Just ask any one who owns a honda or scion - you can here them coming and leaving and driving.

I have a 97 f-150 noticed quite a bit of difference when I made the truck dual exhaust but not two much when I added a the volant cold air intake to it. possibly alittle better eng response but mainly that was from freeing up that horribly restrictive exhaust. To go home I have to climb a large hill at 55mph on cruise the truck would floor itself 4000 or more to climb the hill after the exhaust work 2500-3000 at the most.

I did have a few problems with the intake as well - it was expensive, it hasen't helped much at all with gas mileage, and the small air collector that ran air through it to go to the idle air control valve was not correct for this truck it caused the truck to idlehorribly and almost die. I had to use some of the factory tubes and buy new air hoses and use the factory large plastic air piece in order to get it to stop driving wierd. That was very anoying.

chris

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
If you think about "maybe" up to 1mpg better and the cost of buying a full cai,its really not worth it imo.Ive had 4 Expy[3-4.6 1-5.4]It would take a long time to justify the money for a full kit and even a filter[next to replacement] to make up the price

Users who are viewing this thread