K Member Removal for Long Tubes - Alignment Impacts

JohnL

Hi all,

I'm waiting for my ARH headers and x pipe to come in and I'm debating doing the install myself. The alignment on my car has already been dialed in, will removing my k member for the header install impact my alignment? I so, any pointers to try to keep things at the spec they were aligned to?

Thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Which K member are you running? I don't remember the stocker having a lot of play. But usually if I have to drop it I trace around the brackets with a sharpie. It's worked so far. If you really want to get into it you can drill small holes then use the bits to line everything back up. I've seen that done with body panels.

JohnL

I've got the stocker for now. I'm hoping that something like you mention will be enough to keep the front end in alignment.

I haven't gotten this thing up in the air yet (the headers haven't arrived yet) so would you be able to elaborate on the drill bit idea? Is this just basically tracing the brackets in a couple places with 'hard stops' to align to with the drill bits?

Also, for those of you that have replaced manifolds with headers, do you use the supplied bolts, stock studs, or something in between? I always thought studs were stronger than bolts.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You drill a hole through the k member into the frame. Like by the mounting bolts. Then when you're putting it back you either use drill bits or punches in the holes to line everything up before you tighten it.

Last edited:

TP03

Established Member
His info is spot on ☝️.
Also just to add that if you haven’t purchased the harbor freight engine support bar yet I highly recommend it for this job. Works very well for $80.

B1C1EE9E-931E-4B58-AB4E-19ACE098B444.jpeg

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
You might just want to get the alignment checked afterwards anyway. It’s not gonna be exactly where it is now no matter what you do. How long ago did you have it aligned? Most places at least have a 6 month warranty on alignments.

Users who are viewing this thread